flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > Linux > fasm as 64-bit ELF executable

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

YONG wrote:
BTW, where can I find a full list of fasm reserved names for the 64-bit compiler? Rolling Eyes

You can find complete lists in the TABLES.INC, they do not depend on the OS nor bitness.
Post 09 Jul 2017, 13:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

system error wrote:
how about that nasty Y2038 issue?

Off topic but, this reminds me of how much the media overblown the "Y2K" problem, which is sort of funny in its own way. Razz

I wonder how many people back when this was widespread (don't tell me it still is?) actually set their computer clock to 2038 and see how a black hole is formed? I was pretty disappointed myself as nothing terrible happened, computer didn't even freeze.

Though you should post that this version of Fasm should only really be used if your kernel can't run 32-bit executables (on very minimalist installs maybe), since it's quite bloated/slower with all the addressing mode prefixes and the "lea + mov" combination instead of push.
Post 09 Jul 2017, 14:17
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Furs wrote:
Though you should post that this version of Fasm should only really be used if your kernel can't run 32-bit executables (on very minimalist installs maybe), since it's quite bloated/slower with all the addressing mode prefixes and the "lea + mov" combination instead of push.

Yes, definitely. This was my intention but I probably should have made this more clear - the only rational reason to use this version is when the kernel has 32-bit execution disabled. It gives no other advantages over the 32-bit version and suffers from the adjustments needed to run in the long mode.
Post 09 Jul 2017, 16:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
YONG

Tomasz Grysztar wrote:

YONG wrote:
BTW, where can I find a full list of fasm reserved names for the 64-bit compiler? Rolling Eyes

You can find complete lists in the TABLES.INC, they do not depend on the OS nor bitness.

Yes! Smile Thanks a lot!

Wink
Post 10 Jul 2017, 02:11
keantoken

I read that IA64 CPUs and some old VIA CPUs aren't backwards compatible with 32-bit code.
Post 01 Aug 2017, 07:29
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

IA64 is the Itanium instruction set. It is not even close to IA32. Although the CPUs implementing IA64 do have a compatibility mode to run IA32 code (albeit slowly) within the IA64 OS.
Post 01 Aug 2017, 10:00

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: