flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.
 Home   FAQ   Search   Register 
 Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in 
flat assembler > DOS > Newbie : DOS program from a book wont run

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

New OSes require new CPUs. This isn't really a new thing. But whether or not 32-bit code will become like the dinosaurs is another matter. I personally don't want it to die, there are many advantages to keeping it viable. And I suspect many others feel the same, so my guess is it will still be usable for many years to come. Perhaps the only thing that will kill it is if CPUs no longer support 32-bit code. The two major CPUs on the market today, x86 and ARM, are still supporting the 32-bit code and I don't seen them making any threats to kill it. In fact with the latest 64-bit instructions from ARM almost all instructions can be either 32-bit or 64-bit wide even without switching to 32-bit legacy mode.
Post 07 Feb 2017, 01:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
neville

Trinitek wrote:
It's not good hardware if it's designed to fail.

That's just it, its only "failure" is its inability to run the latest version of the software. The hardware is still perfectly ok Mad

Post 07 Feb 2017, 01:54
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Furs

rugxulo wrote:

Meh, I thought Arch was about choice as they advertise. Good to know they're full of bullshit too just like Ubuntu. It makes me cringe everytime I see 64-bit pointers or ints or whatever when you can't even fill 32 of them, just because certain individuals are obsessed with it.

Some of us use a lot of Virtual Machines. I'm so sick of their justifications always being as if OSes are never used in slim VMs. Mad

I want to be able to "print" my own hardware so I can have one good OS forever (because even if the hardware fails due to age, I can print another) instead of relying on others' whim. Really makes me mad right now.

(it doesn't mean I won't use the latest "trend" at all ofc, but I want to have a reliable and trusty one to keep forever, just like I keep my data, it doesn't mean I don't get new data of course...)
Post 18 Feb 2017, 17:31
rugxulo

I hate to defend the industry and its overzealous deprecation, but in fairness, development is expensive, difficult, and time-consuming. So without volunteers to maintain 32-bit distros, it won't be done. Also, in fairness, the last of the 32-bit only cpus was made (more or less) many years ago, so those machines are dying out: breaking, being disconnected, etc. New hardware is relatively cheap these days (thankfully). There will still be 32-bit app compatibility atop 64-bit OSes (and of course VMs, as you mentioned). I know this is far from perfect and inconvenient in many ways, but they never truly pretended to keep 32-bit alive forever.
Post 19 Feb 2017, 09:17
Furs

Time consuming? Sometimes they port it to completely different architectures who are still less popular! It is beyond retarded to keep say PPC and not x86-32 no matter how you see it, nothing but an excuse.

It's as easy as recompiling with a switch, because if it does indeed work specifically only for x86-64, then the code won't work on PPC either. But it does, thus the code is indeed "portable". A flick of a switch (or command line option) is all that is needed. That's why Gentoo works on almost everything.

As for VMs, you missed the point. VMs need an OS to run. And that's the problem here. You can't use a VM if you don't have an OS, and where will you get the OS from?

So what's the problem? Building the ISO once every 6 months? That's pathetic excuse to be honest. Bandwidth? That's only a problem if a lot of people actually download it, which makes the deprecation retarded anyways.

It just needs to be there as an option for when you need it. BTW yes Volunteers can do it, the problem with Volunteers is that they are not official. People tend to look for official things, as they get popularity/advertisement and trust it better.
Post 19 Feb 2017, 18:07

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

< Last Thread | Next Thread >

Forum Rules: