flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Space music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Picnic

Picnic
Here's a classic one. Released: 1978.
Automat - Droid

Beautiful tracks from Vangelis now.
Those tracks was the theme music to Carl Sagan's PBS Cosmos series.
Vangelis - Cosmos - Heaven & Hell Part 1
Post 26 Mar 2009, 16:28
shoorick

shoorick
YONG
good, bad and ugly theme - associates with american indeans for me more then with space Smile

space odyssey intro - appeared i know this melody as it seems been using in russian tv intellectual game "what? where? when?". i think i have to watch this movie full (seems, i have seen only parts once some time ago on tv occasionally)

a whisper from universe - yes, i like it. thanks! but it also like song for the movie, not like such music, when you close your eyes and may imagine yourself somewhere in the space on a high speed far from earth or some where on a strange desert planet, or meeting strange beings or mechanisms. of course, it is very individual Smile

thimis
yes, it is exactly the kind of music which i ment!
Post 27 Mar 2009, 05:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
what i like a lot as space music is the family of BUDDHA BAR, HOTEL COSTES, CAFE DEL MAR, CAFE IBIZA.
some lounge music that invite to travel from the sofa.
easy to find on the gnutella network. Very Happy
Post 29 Mar 2009, 11:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
I think Telstar by the Tornadoes was the prototype space music for alien movies and television shows of the era (1962).

Telstar Satellite Wiki
Post 29 Mar 2009, 16:54
Picnic

Picnic
Nice one HyperVista.
Doctor Who television series music theme is also nice.

Here some more spacey tunes.

Vangelis - Alpha
Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe Part 4
Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent) from "Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks"
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
Post 29 Mar 2009, 20:43
HyperVista

HyperVista
Fantastic thimis. Each one a gem. Now we're getting somewhere!

An interesting note about Brian Eno, he recorded some of the original Windows 95 sounds. Link to essay

Link to Microsoft start-up sounds, which are for the most part "spacey" sounding. (execpt for that cheesey tada sound from Windows 3.1). My apologies to the linux users for posting Windows sounds.... Smile
Post 30 Mar 2009, 08:12
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Now for some of my personal favorites.

Vangelis - Tears in Rain (from the movie based on the book by Philip K. Dick, I think the best SF movie I know).
Quote:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.

Attack ships on fire
off the shoulder of Orion.

I've watched C-beams
glitter in the dark
near the Tannhäuser Gate.

All those moments
will be lost
in time
like tears in the rain.

[time to die]
And another great piece of music from the Blade Runner movie: Memories of Green.

Mike Oldfield - The Songs of the Distant Earth (music based on the book by Arthur C. Clarke, the link here shows only the beginning of album, if you'd like to hear it's marvellous ending, too, look here).

Ayreon - The Truth is Here, and River of Time (this band has a lot of good SF lyrics, and a good multi-instrumental music).

Blind Guardian - Traveller in Time (someone made an interesting juxtaposition with the scenes from the Dune movie here - another nice movie based on the great book).
Post 30 Mar 2009, 08:38
shoorick

shoorick
thanks men! will listen everything two weeks later (i'm on dial-up a while)
Post 30 Mar 2009, 11:18
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Blind Guardian - Traveller in Time

I think he wasn't interested in songs that are spacey lyrics-wise, but music-wise. Otherwise, we should first include many Gamma Ray songs, for example Somewhere out in Space, Men, Martians and Machines, etc. IMO Blind Guardian was always more fantasy, while Gamma Ray more sci-fi.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 11:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
vid wrote:
I think he wasn't interested in songs that are spacey lyrics-wise, but music-wise.

I think it's hard to draw the line between those two. We connect some music with space only because we are accustomed to - because it's perhaps similar to some music we already know, which is connected to space by the title, lyrics, the context where it was used, etc.

Well, the ancient people believed there's a music of the spheres - so they perhaps believed there exists a music which is objectively "spacey". But what would it be like?
Mike Oldfield - Shabda (from "Music of the Spheres" album)
Is it the "real" music of the spheres? Wink Perhaps no, but still nice music to listen to while thinking of stars, anyway. Wink
Post 30 Mar 2009, 12:18
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Wait a second... I think I recall something that would qualify as a real music of space. Wink

Eerie Sounds of Saturn's Radio Emissions
(direct link: WAV file)

NASA wrote:
Time on this recording has been compressed, so that 73 seconds corresponds to 27 minutes. Since the frequencies of these emissions are well above the audio frequency range, we have shifted them downward by a factor of 44.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 12:21
HyperVista

HyperVista
Wow! It appears the space / science fiction music composers of the past got it right.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:16
Borsuc

Borsuc
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Mike Oldfield - Shabda (from "Music of the Spheres" album)
Is it the "real" music of the spheres? Wink Perhaps no, but still nice music to listen to while thinking of stars, anyway. Wink
Excellent piece Smile

Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:18
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
HyperVista wrote:
Wow! It appears the space / science fiction music composers of the past got it right.

Well, you are not the first one to notice. Smile

Borsuc wrote:
Excellent piece Smile

That's a really good album (well, I'm biased a little, because Oldfield is actually my favorite composer - I have 24 his albums on my shelf Smile). Another piece from "Music of the Spheres" that I adore: Animus.
Post 30 Mar 2009, 17:44
comrade

comrade

HyperVista has mentioned Echoes by Pink Floyd, but I am still surprised no one here has spoken of:

1. Shine on You Crazy Diamond - from the album Wish You Were Here. The complete track is over 26 minutes long.
  2. Any Colour You Like - from Dark Side of the Moon. The rest of the album is very "space like" as well. I love the rest of the tracks too, especially Time. I begin every morning with that track (well, not exactly morning, I've already had breakfast and read the forums at that time Smile) - but when I start my car and wait for it to warm up.

I have Wish You Were Here in DTS CD - the bass from SOYCD is phenomenal.

These are my top 2 Pink Floyd albums, with the 3rd being The Wall or maybe Echoes.

Post 31 Mar 2009, 04:32
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Picnic

Picnic
Well, those albums are among the greatest psychedelic-rock albums of all time imho comrade, simply masterpieces, i grew up with such listenings.
But perhaps not exactly the kind of space sound shoorick have in mind.
Quote:
I think he wasn't interested in songs that are spacey lyrics-wise

I agree here with vid. Lurics in general break the 'space feeling' i'm looking for such kind of music.
Or to put it another way until today i haven't found better 'Space Music' tracks with lurics of anykind from any culture, than music without lurics.
Of course there are as always exceptions, like the whole Blade Runner sountrack Tomasz mention is a unique unbeatable masterpiece.
Quote:
because Oldfield is actually my favorite composer - I have 24 his albums on my shelf
A fascinating composer, trully music explorer also one of my all time favourite artits, i have about ten albums.

Here's a few spacey (more or less) tracks.

Vangelis - Dervish D
Jean Michele Jarre - Millions of Stars
Alan Parson - Sirius
Alan Parson - Hawkeye
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Space - Fasten Seat Belt
Union Jack - There will be no Armagedon
BT - The Antikythera Mechanism 'Album: This Binary Universe'
Vangelis- Pulstar
Kano - Ikeya Seki

Last edited by Picnic on 31 Mar 2009, 16:24; edited 1 time in total
Post 31 Mar 2009, 13:52
comrade

comrade
Hmm... maybe SOYCD/DSOTM is a bit off - but I find it very similar to the Blade Runner soundtrack! (Which is a masterpiece, but does anyone find the track too quiet? I always have to turn up the volume to almost the max to hear it).
Post 31 Mar 2009, 15:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DJ Mauretto

DJ Mauretto
The Grand Father of Space Music Wink Richard Strauss

Post 02 Apr 2009, 16:15
Picnic

Picnic
Brilliance choice DJ, fits perfect on this topic.
And possible '2001: A Space Odyssey' the grandest of all sci-fi movies.

Just a moment.
Just a moment.
I've just picked up a fault in the AE-35 unit.
It's going to go 100 percent failure within next 72 hours.

Klaus Schulze - Stardancer II (1977)
Post 02 Apr 2009, 19:34
shoorick

shoorick
oh, thimis! you had open to me a huge area to work! thanks a lot! Smile
Saturn's radio emission sounds are also fantastic!
Post 13 Apr 2009, 09:40

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: