flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > i asking myself, would a tiny drop of sand makes me angry?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i just woke up, then this thought strucked me.
why God angry with human?

comparatively, the size of this whole earth is like less than a drop of sand for us (if view from God pov).

God created this multi super huge universe.. and our size is just .... less than 1px X 1px dot from picture.

now, i asking myself, would a tiny drop of sand makes me angry?

i don't get it, this is absurb.
Post 22 Mar 2009, 09:16
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Where did you get this notion, that there is some personal god with human-like feelings (anger), and he has this "lowly" emotion for humans?

Didn't you by any chance get this notion from 2500-3000 years old Semitic religious texts, the same ones that mention dragons, leviathans, talking animals, magicians, surviving in stomach of great fish, etc?

If that's the case, I don't see anything strange about god who is angry with humans. Old semites, who authored these texts, believed in very personal god (just like greeks), one that literaly walks the earth, one that fistfights a very tough human and can't beat him, one that lives on the top of mountain, etc. And that god also introduced himself as a very jealous god, so much that even pronouncing his name would make him so angry that he will kill you. Living in a place like Israel 3000 years ago, no one would accept the notion of loving and caring god, in the face of extremely harsh reality.

For old Semites, the small patch of land they lived in was EVERYTHING there is, not just tiny drop of sand we now know it is. I think your problem is that you are trying to apply tenets of primitive ancient religion to more modern religious ideas, and of course those conflict hardly. Most people who believe in some form of god today are IMO more deistic than theistic, and jealous god obsessed with foreskins isn't exactly the god they could grasp. Just like loving and caring god who doesn't do everyday miracles and talk to people every now and then would be unacceptable to authors of texts you seem to be taking ideas from.
Post 22 Mar 2009, 10:03
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
sleep^2 wrote:
...would a tiny drop of sand makes me angry?
1. anthropomorphism: you inveigh against the "mentality" of a supernatural, omniscient being, contrasting that inscrutable mental effort with our own frail, human incapabilities....

2. location,location,location. Works for selling real estate, and also for single grain of sand inserted into a particular location, where, with friction, it becomes exquisitely painful. For example, when that small piece of "sand" is trapped in the ureter (outflow from kidney to bladder), then the person is completely incapacitated with pain.
Post 22 Mar 2009, 11:57
Borsuc

Borsuc
Because we are made in God's image? Razz

vid wrote:
Where did you get this notion, that there is some personal god with human-like feelings (anger), and he has this "lowly" emotion for humans?
seriously, was there a point in asking this question when you know the answer yourself? in every thread with the mention of "God" in it?

Post 22 Mar 2009, 15:49
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

Because we are made in God's image?

seriously, i thought about this idea too after i posted this question.

Quote:

2. location,location,location. Works for selling real estate, and also for single grain of sand inserted into a particular location, where, with friction, it becomes exquisitely painful.

the sand is just a metaphor, like since we are too tiny in this whole galaxy, universe or etc term, and obviously, those who believe in God believe that God created all this "things", and we are to God is just like a tiny drop of sand to us, and i don't understand, why in books that associated with God, .... and God punishes us for our sin. (which in another pov, it could be all sins belong to the Creator too).

and what make me ponder more is, hmm, we got the capability to make God angry with us.... somehow, this is kinda absurd for me.
Post 22 Mar 2009, 16:15
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
seriously, was there a point in asking this question when you know the answer yourself?
I don't know the answer, I only presumed it. Point of this somewhat rhetorical question was to make it clear that I don't claim I know sleepsleep has taken idea of angry god from semitic mythology. He might have as well taken it from some eastern mythology, or have deduced it in a way similar to semites - from hardships of everyday life, etc. I just picked what I believed to be most likely option, and explained idea of angry god in that context.

Quote:
in every thread with the mention of "God" in it?
I don't remember ever asking on this forum for source of idea that god has human-like feelings. Feel free to remind me by link to post where I asked such question.

So, to settle this point, can you SleepSleep please answer my original question? Where did you get the idea that god is angry with humans?
Post 22 Mar 2009, 17:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Quote:
It seems a man in Topeka, Kansas, decided to write a book about churches around the country. He started by flying to San Francisco, and started working east from there. He went to a very large church and began taking photographs, etc. He spots a golden telephone on a wall and is intrigued with a sign which reads "$10,000 a minute."

Seeking out the pastor, he asks about the phone and the sign. The pastor answers that this golden phone is, in fact, a direct line to Heaven; and if he pays the price, he can talk directly to God. He thanks the pastor and continues on his way.

As he continues to visit churches in Seattle, Boise, Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, New York, Atlanta, and on around the United States, he finds more phones, with the same sign, and the same answer from each pastor.

Finally, he arrives in Texas. Upon entering a church in Dallas, lo and behold, he sees the usual golden telephone. But THIS time, the sign reads "Calls: 25 cents."

Fascinated, he requests to talk to the pastor. "Reverend, I have been in cities all across the country, and in each church I found this golden telephone and have been told it is a direct line to Heaven and that I could talk to God. But in the other churches the cost was $10,000 a minute. Your sign reads 25 cents a call. Why?"

The pastor, smiling benignly, replies, "Son, you're in Texas now. It's a local call."
It is not a single straw that broke the camels back. Although the instant of anger might seem to have a direct cause that is not the reality.
Post 22 Mar 2009, 18:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
ROFL bitRAKE Laughing

@vid: I did not mean to sound that way, I wasn't trying to target you or anything. And thanks for clarification, although tbh I think the context was pretty self-explanatory. Wink

(personally I don't think anger is an attribute for extra-humans, you know (even if not God then other beings, Angels or Aliens, take your pick Laughing))

Post 23 Mar 2009, 01:28
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Quote:

Where did you get the idea that god is angry with humans?

well, you remind me of this thread, thanks Wink
most of the books that proclaimed the existence of God are kinda associated with God punishes bad people to hell and sends kind people to heaven.

or punish bad guy eg, reincarnate into animals, or disabled human.
(but nowadays, cat is living quite well with human and sometime they can get better treatment compare to human) well kind people reach nirvana and escape the reincarnation cycle.

find me a book that discuss about existence of God that doesn't deal with award and punishment.

u can see punishment as God doesn't like what you did, so God punishes u.

or

God give you another chance to repent, thus the punishment is like a redemption for what u did that make God doesn't likes.

i hope this clarify a little bit why i think, God is kinda angries with us.
Post 08 Apr 2009, 15:19
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
most of the books that proclaimed the existence of God are kinda associated with God punishes bad people to hell and sends kind people to heaven. or punish bad guy eg, reincarnate into animals, or disabled human.

Seems you didn't read any deistic literature (or didn't realize you are). Earliest I can think of are Epicureans, popular early materialist Greek philosophy which said gods live in outer space, and don't care for mundane things like human affairs (though many suspect Epicureans were in fact covert atheist, fearing of being charged and executed for it).

Modern world saw revival of deism against theism (theism = personal god who interferes with our world) in movements like freemasons (for example many prominent Founding Fathers of USA were freemasons). You can tell deists from christians by refering to deity as "Creator", "Almighty One", etc., instead of "Jesus Christ the Lord", "Jehova", etc.

I'd suggest you to study some more modern 18/19th century philosophy. My quess is that you are drawing mostly from ancient and thus more primitive mythologies and philosphies, which (as I already showed on example of ancient Israelites) couldn't even think of your original question as sane one compared to THEIR primitive view of god and THEIR reality.
Post 08 Apr 2009, 21:16

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: