flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > CONFidence 2009

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I want to inform you about computer security conference "CONFidence 2009" that will happen on 15-16 may 2009, in Krakow. Key speakers are Bruce Schneier and Joanna Rutkowska. I happened to be invited too, so it is now my task to inform everyone about it Smile

Conference site: http://2009.confidence.org.pl/

If anyone from this forum is coming, please let me know. This is also good chance to meet with Tomasz Grysztar. Twisted Evil
Post 21 Mar 2009, 13:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
awesome cool, all the geniuses gathered around in one place ....
are they going to crack internet browsers?? Razz

i think every male programmer in love with her (Joanna Rutkowska) Razz
vid, please update us from time ot time... with pictures of course..
Post 21 Mar 2009, 14:01
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
i think every male programmer in love with her (Joanna Rutkowska) Razz

I'll just leave this here...

Quote:
vid, please update us from time ot time... with pictures of course..

I am not the type who keeps taking photos all the time, so don't count on me too much.
Post 21 Mar 2009, 16:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Also this
Post 21 Mar 2009, 17:22
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Wow, Jan got rooted. Twisted Evil
...or he chose to take the Blue Pill? Laughing
Post 22 Mar 2009, 01:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Yeah, it is absolutely horrifying, how some hidden things are 100% undetectable (by common means of detection)...
Post 22 Mar 2009, 09:34
Borsuc

Borsuc
I don't get the point? can he polymorph or something? Confused
Post 22 Mar 2009, 15:51
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Yes, modern virtualization can make things appear different than they are at the root. Hence it can be used to hide facts that you don't want your guests to detect.
Post 22 Mar 2009, 17:09
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
vid, AFAIK it is very difficult to hide the brow ridge.
(not impossible, of course)
Post 22 Mar 2009, 17:45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I think that if you compare the particular feature you mentioned on baremetal system to one that is possibly virtualized, you will notice that there is little difference between the two, making it a bad candidate for detection of virtualization. Careful analysis of cache or look-aside-buffers might bear decisive answer about presence of virtualization on particular system. But not only it would require privileged access to system, and undertake risk of nondeterministic behavior, consequences of positive result may be quite unpleasant - there is good reason for calling function to detect virtualization IsGameOver().
Post 22 Mar 2009, 18:35
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
A bare metal system ignores the environment in which the system operates. There would be a range of features - of which a collection could trigger further caution, and testing similar to what you've indicated. Privileged access is not aways possible or desirable, and yet we can expect some relative safety. For example, a more privileged process could seek additional verification, and a trust matrix would develop. Some might argue that that is where we are, now.
Post 22 Mar 2009, 20:20
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Some might argue that that is where we are, now.

As would I. IsGameOver() still remains a function that all detectors are reluctant to call. It is better to keep our stack clean.
Post 22 Mar 2009, 20:31
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Even a stackless system would be vulnerable to the same kind of attacks. A graceful de-escalation of privileges might be possible by BluePill'ing the BluePill - not nesting VMs, but under-cutting the present VM. This has lead to the present work on Xen/SMM. So few people benefit from playing into an end game.
Post 22 Mar 2009, 20:53

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: