flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > ask yourself, What are the important problems of your field

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
You and Your Research ~ J. F. Kaiser
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/YouAndYourResearch.html

really nice article.
Quote:

Over on the other side of the dining hall was a chemistry table. I had worked with one of the fellows, Dave McCall; furthermore he was courting our secretary at the time. I went over and said, ``Do you mind if I join you?'' They can't say no, so I started eating with them for a while. And I started asking, ``What are the important problems of your field?'' And after a week or so, ``What important problems are you working on?'' And after some more time I came in one day and said, ``If what you are doing is not important, and if you don't think it is going to lead to something important, why are you at Bell Labs working on it?'' I wasn't welcomed after that; I had to find somebody else to eat with! That was in the spring.

In the fall, Dave McCall stopped me in the hall and said, ``Hamming, that remark of yours got underneath my skin. I thought about it all summer, i.e. what were the important problems in my field. I haven't changed my research,'' he says, ``but I think it was well worthwhile.'' And I said, ``Thank you Dave,'' and went on. I noticed a couple of months later he was made the head of the department. I noticed the other day he was a Member of the National Academy of Engineering. I noticed he has succeeded. I have never heard the names of any of the other fellows at that table mentioned in science and scientific circles. They were unable to ask themselves, ``What are the important problems in my field?''
Post 21 Mar 2009, 08:22
tom tobias

tom tobias
Thank you sleep^2, I agree with you, about the article. What I wonder, though, is HOW you found it? What I mean by such a question is this: What were you investigating, that led you to discover this article? You do realize who Dick Hamming is, right? Do you use Hamming windows in your own research?
The author of sleepsleep's link, Dick Hamming wrote:
I saw that although physically I was the same, they were different. And to put the thing bluntly, I was envious. I wanted to know why they were so different from me. I saw Feynman up close. I saw Fermi and Teller. I saw Oppenheimer. I saw Hans Bethe: he was my boss. I saw quite a few very capable people. I became very interested in the difference between those who do and those who might have done.

Now for the matter of drive. You observe that most great scientists have tremendous drive. I worked for ten years with John Tukey at Bell Labs. He had tremendous drive. One day about three or four years after I joined, I discovered that John Tukey was slightly younger than I was. John was a genius and I clearly was not. Well I went storming into Bode's office and said, "How can anybody my age know as much as John Tukey does?" He leaned back in his chair, put his hands behind his head, grinned slightly, and said, "You would be surprised Hamming, how much you would know if you worked as hard as he did that many years." I simply slunk out of the office!
Post 21 Mar 2009, 09:59
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

What I wonder, though, is HOW you found it?

i think i got this link from reddit or digg... either one, but aren't they alike Razz

Quote:

You do realize who Dick Hamming

i think i know him, if his name is without hamming Razz Razz

Quote:

Do you use Hamming windows in your own research?

i am just too far away from all that.... just hope i can live 10000 years to learn all that.
Post 21 Mar 2009, 14:04
Borsuc

Borsuc
Yeah most online 'tutorials' on signal analysis is crappy and too mathematical for my taste.
Post 21 Mar 2009, 15:49
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
just wanna bump this up,
there are lots more to learn in this life,
Post 02 Oct 2012, 12:57
tom tobias

tom tobias
sleepsleep wrote:
...there are lots more to learn in this life,
Compared with three years ago, when you started the thread, have you learned something new?

If you think three years ahead, what new insight do you anticipate?

Compared with three years ago, I find myself much less capable, and much less efficient. I am not certain that I share your opinion about learning a lot more in the future, for, I fear that I am forgetting old adventures, much faster than I am learning new concepts.

Smile
Post 02 Oct 2012, 14:46
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
tom tobias wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
...there are lots more to learn in this life,
Compared with three years ago, when you started the thread, have you learned something new?

Compared with three years ago, I find myself much less capable, and much less efficient. I am not certain that I share your opinion about learning a lot more in the future, for, I fear that I am forgetting old adventures, much faster than I am learning new concepts.

Smile

hi tom tobias, it been so long to hear from you, glad to see you back Very Happy

i found lot of new experiences in the last 3 years, which i am really appreciate and really grateful,

3 years ahead, i hope i owned less and less stuffs, prepare myself for my last day (since that day could come in any day).

there is nothing i could take away, except my consciousness, my understanding, my memories,

i wish you, tom, stay healthy, exercise, enjoy this life Wink
Post 02 Oct 2012, 15:42
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Quote:

i don't have strong desire to want anything, idk if that is my problem,

i just google what i want in this life, and 1st result below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjswnrZUIvI
Post 13 Oct 2012, 18:24
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
if human is like grass..

what is the purpose of grass,
feel the wind,
enjoy rain, sunshine, cold,
grow higher and view further,

root deeper so more stable,

a grass, a tree doesnt has choice, their existence was defined in their blueprint.

happy, sorrow, excitement, fear,
why i want if all these are just chemical reactions inside my body?
Post 13 Oct 2012, 20:33

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: