flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > your most greatest achievements in life

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
well, like title, anyone wanna share?

something that you maybe struggle for years but in the end, it turns out as you expected?

eg.
learning asm for 3 years?
take years to fight against the fear of water?
score A's in academic after years effort?
years taken to understand this fucking bitchy love relationship?
discover some unknown algorithm/theories/law.
divorce your wife after years of marriage? Laughing Laughing
watever...

and, why i ask this question? because i no yet achieve anything that i consider achievement in my life, possibly i set a higher standard, i don't know, but i wanna know what are yours achievements so that i could make it as references, maybe for my life and others.
Post 12 Mar 2009, 23:42
Enko

Enko
found u$d 20 in the street, and start smoking.

The next one will be quit smoking.
Post 14 Mar 2009, 13:21
tom tobias

tom tobias
sleep^2 wrote:
... i wanna know what are yours achievements so that i could make it as references, maybe for my life...
In my opinion, most FASM forumers are unlikely to boast of some sort of accomplishment. I would humbly suggest changing the focus of this topic, instead, to inquire what folks think their most important post has been to this forum, if that would be something sleep^2 could accept as a useful change in direction....

One advantage of that question, in my opinion, is that then forum members could reflect back on two, three, even five years of submissions, and ask themselves, and others, which, if any, of previous submissions were helpful, useful, or worthy of emulation.

The other advantage of this change of direction, is that what one person finds attractive, useful, or creative, someone else might find boring, repetitious, or obnoxious, so that, then, one can not only "boast" about one's own accomplishments on the forum, but also argue with someone else, about his/her submission. For example, I suppose, hypothetically, that I could disagree with revolution, and argue that his most significant contribution is found in the operating system contest he has organized. He on the otherhand, might have some other post, on a different subject, which he proposes, as his most noteworthy....

In thinking about sleep^2 inquiry, I wonder if maybe it could be productive, for sleep^2 himself to prepare a list of the fifty most useful submissions to the forum, so that the community could weigh in on his ordering. I bet he has trouble with Tomasz' post, because, how would one decide, for example, whether it is FASM version xyz, or FASM version QRS, which has been the most important? Tomasz himself, of course, could argue that his most important submission is the topic of music video.

I think, sleep^2, that constructing such a list would be arduous, and may occupy your pen for some weeks, so, no need to reply, today!!
Smile
Post 14 Mar 2009, 14:08
farrier

farrier
"your most greatest achievements in life"?

Children -> Grandchildren

The only reason to work hard, to provide, to enjoy: first your early life; your childrens' life; then watch your children go thru what you went thru with their own children. Being able to help your children raise their children is the greatest achievement/joy.

... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, ...
The code is dark, and full of errors!
Post 14 Mar 2009, 14:45
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

found u$d 20 in the street, and start smoking.

The next one will be quit smoking.

i actually start smoking by chance too, somebody who troll in front of my house (while i still high school) leave a pack of cigaratte nearby, so... after he leaves, my friend and i go and get it and try, smoke around 1 year, but after that i quit.

then, after 5 years, (recently), i start smoking again... Very Happy

Quote:

to inquire what folks think their most important post has been to this forum, if that would be something sleep^2 could accept as a useful change in direction....

he he, no problem Smile

Quote:

I think, sleep^2, that constructing such a list would be arduous, and may occupy your pen for some weeks, so, no need to reply, today!!

let see, i hope i am motivated to do so.....

Quote:

The only reason to work hard, to provide, to enjoy: first your early life; your childrens' life; then watch your children go thru what you went thru with their own children. Being able to help your children raise their children is the greatest achievement/joy.

still single, i don't know if i would remain that for the whole life, i hope i could catch that kinda feeling ....
Post 15 Mar 2009, 02:27
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
tom tobias wrote:
For example, I suppose, hypothetically, that I could disagree with revolution, ...
What, only hypothetically? Razz
tom tobias wrote:
... and argue that his most significant contribution is found in the operating system contest he has organized.
Well I hope it does go well. Time will tell. But as for being the most significant ... not so sure about that. Maybe it depends upon how one defines the things that make a post significant? Could I suggest that anything that makes others think and create can be considered significant? And the more thought and creation then the more significant.
tom tobias wrote:
He on the otherhand, might have some other post, on a different subject, which he proposes, as his most noteworthy....
Is "noteworthy" the same as "significant"? Because I think they are different. Quite a subtle difference maybe, but still different.

BTW: I forgive you for the "he" references. This assumption has not been confirmed.
Post 15 Mar 2009, 03:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:
I forgive you for the "he" references. This assumption has not been confirmed.

The contest's winner will have that question revealed or the small price will only be the standard star(*)?
Post 15 Mar 2009, 03:35
revolution

revolution
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
... or the small prize will only be the standard star(*)?
Standard!? They are very special. Do you have one? Razz
Post 15 Mar 2009, 03:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
revolution wrote:
BTW: I forgive you for the "he" references. This assumption has not been confirmed.

There's only one way to know for sure, and I don't think this message board will ever prove it!!! Laughing
Post 15 Mar 2009, 05:14
tom tobias

tom tobias
revolution wrote:
...BTW: I forgive you for the "he" references. This assumption has not been confirmed.
Of course, neither has it been refuted.

The most famous, western author, female, who wrote with a man's name, was George Sand. The most famous female author of any time, in my opinion, was Murasaki Shikibu, who wrote Genji Monogatari. So, yes, some women do write, and write well, very well.
I have met very talented, and very skillful C programmers, though, not so many Assembly Language lassies.

The forum here may have one or two females, I don't know, but I would doubt that "revolution" is one of them. I do acknowledge, however, your main point which is that I am unable to accurately predict gender from linguistic analysis. I suspect that MHajduk, Shoorick, and Yong would be more skillful at that endeavor, in view of their multifaceted observational experiences.

Yesterday, at the gymanasium, I saw a young girl, maybe 35 or so, lifting the same weight which I struggle to move, and she was pushing the weight effortlessly. I studied her movements, from afar, and she was able to perform multiple repetitions of the same movement, without stopping, as I must, to rest. Her shoulders and arms are both much more solid than my own. I need to spend less time on the FASM forum, and more time in the gym.

Sad
Post 15 Mar 2009, 09:36
revolution

revolution
tom tobias wrote:
... I saw a young girl, maybe 35 or so ...
I am pleased to see that you do use the word "girl" to describe females in general. I wonder if your previous objections to this usage were genuine or whether you have accepted this meaning just lately? Hm?
Post 15 Mar 2009, 10:24
tom tobias

tom tobias
revolution wrote:

I am pleased to see that you do use the word "girl" to describe females in general...
Thanks, yes, I appreciate that you were pleased by something I jotted down....

You may have noticed that I used four different vocabulary words to describe the same gender: girl, woman(en), female, lassie.

The notion here was to attempt to broaden the terminology somewhat more than my typical, repetitive gossip. Since I had employed the adjective "young", to contrast with my own advanced stage of senility, it seemed appropriate to appose the youthful equivalent, "girl". I added age 35, to ensure no misunderstanding about my intended meaning: a healthy appearing, youthful, probably premenopausal female with considerable strength, as opposed to a small statured, weak, adolescent juvenile.

"Girl" in that context, was intended to be tongue in cheek.
Post 15 Mar 2009, 12:15
revolution

revolution
tom tobias wrote:
The notion here was to attempt to broaden the terminology somewhat more ...
Great. So an old dog can learn new tricks. Maybe this the forum's best achievement, getting tom tobias to accept new meanings for old words.

BTW: Good luck with your new girlfriend. Let us know how it progresses.
Post 15 Mar 2009, 16:32
Borsuc

Borsuc
tom tobias wrote:
I need to spend less time on the FASM forum, and more time in the gym.

Sad
What for? You know, the brain needs exercises too to be in "shape". I would choose it over muscles anyday Laughing

I would actually suggest you need more "free" type of writing, less verbosity in jokes maybe and overall, and learn how to make phrases have implicit context without having to detail it with so many words like you do (I'm serious). "exercise" on that instead of muscles Wink

revolution wrote:
Is "noteworthy" the same as "significant"? Because I think they are different. Quite a subtle difference maybe, but still different.
They are different.
But with some logic, the most "noteworthy" thing I could do would be... to blow up the Earth into a quadrillion pieces. No seriously, I mean anything else (terrestrial) pales in comparison. Laughing

This would make me "significant" in the Universe's history. See the difference? Wink

Post 15 Mar 2009, 17:32
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
My greatest achievement in this life is the fact that it isn't over yet! I'm not going to take full credit for that, but I certainly played a major role. Laughing

Destruction of the Earth would hardly constitute a "significant" event at Universe scale. If the matter could be converted into a little black hole then maybe - where did you think they came from. Very Happy
Post 15 Mar 2009, 18:02
comrade

comrade
Buying a car... I'd like to buy another one but I can't afford it
Post 15 Mar 2009, 18:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Alphonso

Alphonso
bitRAKE wrote:
Destruction of the Earth would hardly constitute a "significant" event at Universe scale. If the matter could be converted into a little black hole then maybe - where did you think they came from. Very Happy
And it wouldn't be noteworthy because there would be nobody left to make a note of it. Laughing
Post 15 Mar 2009, 18:48
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
lol, Alphonso+1
Achievement by Alphonso, he made me laugh!
Post 15 Mar 2009, 19:33
Borsuc

Borsuc
Alphonso wrote:
And it wouldn't be noteworthy because there would be nobody left to make a note of it. Laughing
Big Brother, err I mean the Universe, is watching us... WinkRazz

but I didn't say it would be "significant", I said in comparison to anything else that we can do Twisted Evil

Post 15 Mar 2009, 20:37

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: