flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > First totalitarian communist

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
You'd never quess who is the first known totalitarian communist of our history.

(By "totalitarian communist" I mean of course the template leftist dictator as used by anticommunists of last century: one who grabs all power, abolishes private property and all money, equally redistributes landowners' land to everyone, cuts all foreign trade, forces communal eating and education, removes children from their parents, abolishes marriages and makes women "borrowable" among men, etc.)

Surprisingly for me, it was the Lykurgus, the most famous "ruler" of Sparta - the same Sparta idealized by neo-nazis today. Read his bio by Plutarch: http://classics.mit.edu/Plutarch/lycurgus.html

PS: But note that that account is most likely mythical in big part , or we should say (contrary to todays view) "idealized" by later greeks and romans.
Post 09 Mar 2009, 00:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Frank

Frank
Great reading, thanks!
Post 09 Mar 2009, 03:19
Borsuc

Borsuc
Hmm I always thought nazis had different perspectives than commies Question

what do you mean by mythical? was it too exaggerated or what? (like I said, sorry I don't have time to read it, here's me hoping for a short summary Razz)
Post 10 Mar 2009, 17:31
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Hmm I always thought nazis had different perspectives than commies

Different about something, same about other things. Just like nazis & capitalists had some thing common against communists, or like communists & capitalists had some things common against nazis.

Quote:
what do you mean by mythical? was it too exaggerated or what? (like I said, sorry I don't have time to read it, here's me hoping for a short summary )

basically yes. you know how historical figures become idealized in folk tales, either they are all-good or all-bad. this account was written some 700 years after his supposed lifetime, but there are other (but less extensive) accounts centuries closer to his life, and those portray more modest picture, even though in same general direction.
Post 10 Mar 2009, 18:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: