flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > There are now more Firefox users than IE6 users

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Borsuc

Borsuc
I run as administrator all the time, never had any problems, don't use AV either (except VirusTotal for suspicious files I download, and even then, put them in a sandbox first).

How good is Sandboxie for protection? I've only used it most times to find out what an installation/program fucks up in my system so I could know about that, but using it with Web browser, how good is it?

Post 10 Mar 2009, 17:24
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
f0dder wrote:
drhowarddrfine wrote:
f0dder wrote:
*u*x has very limited and coarse-grained permissions - user/group/everybodyelse, read/write/execute. Do you have any idea what is possible with NTFS ACLs? Smile
Yes. More viruses than any other operating system.
Are you trolling or are you just unbelievably stupid?
Are you, then, saying Unix has more vulnerabilities than Windows?!

I told you, I'm busy, and, in fact, typing this from an airport, so the best I can do for you right now is say that I don't follow Windows enough anymore to care. All I know is this: I am infinitely more safe and secure using Unix. I am infinitely more flexible in my programming capabilities, too. Both of those statements are known, provable and verifiable.

Whether you wish to be Microsoft's bitch or not, I don't care, because I learned, long ago, that you can't teach a 'softie anything. So I try not to try but sometimes I can't help myself. Like this thread.

This is typical of a Windows forum (I know this is not). We go from a browser fact to Windows vs Unix, totally ignoring the topic. While on web developer threads, everyone there is "Hooray! Death to IE!".

Yeah, I know you guys aren't web devs, but I am. I hang out with some big dogs (under my real name), like Chris Wilson who developers IE. I hate that bastard cause he's a lying SOB. I'm a real thorn in his side on his blog. (At least till recently when I quit messing with him cause it's pointless. Remember my comment about 'softies above.)

So, anyway, I'm SSH'ed into my home computer and this airport dropped my connection twice already so, unless someone wants to talk browsers, I'll stick with fasm stuff if I ever get back to working on that again.
Post 10 Mar 2009, 19:20
comrade

comrade
Heh. Have fun.
Post 10 Mar 2009, 20:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
f0dder wrote:
Are you trolling or are you just unbelievably stupid?

TROLL!! FUD!! Embrace, extend, extinguish!! Laughing

No, seriously, I think this gets bandied about way way too much. People are overzealous to identify trolls when in fact (IMHO) less than 0.1% of users are actually trolling, trying to disrupt the peace. People are very opinionated, and there's truth in everything they say, of course limited to their intelligence, experience, and bias for what works for them.

It goes without saying that either *nix or Windows are acceptable to the majority of people out there. Neither is perfect else there wouldn't be any updates!

The simple truth is that IE6 isn't ideal, but hey, even MS (finally?) worked to let Gmail work with it now, so it's less sucky IMHO (although I only use Firefox or Opera). But I think they consider it dead in favor of IE7. Of course, they think XP is deprecated too (although it recently got exFAT support, so it ain't that bad), so I dunno. (Vista SP2 even seems second-tier to Win7 almost. But at least SP2 is on its way.) It's no worse than Firefox 3 and KDE 4.2 and GTK 2 and GLIBC 2 and GCC 4 and Linux 2.6 etc. etc. being the only mainstream options nowadays. You're stuck with what they give you, good or bad.
Post 10 Mar 2009, 22:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
I wasn't going to comment anymore in this thread but, since it's somewhat on topic, I found this in my rss when I got back home:
Is IE8 the end of the road for Internet Explorer?
Quote:
IE8 is the last version of the Internet Explorer Web browser. At least, that's what I'm hearing through the grapevine. It seems that Microsoft is preparing to throw in the towel on its Internet Explorer engine once and for all.
Post 11 Mar 2009, 00:16
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Quote:

So you logged into Administrator and created first user on your own, and obviously it was quite natural, that you created this user to be the part of Users group, not Administrators.

But if you need to run on winXP some legacy programs (created for win9x), the only way is to login with an administrator account.
And there are many annoyances when you run in an unpriviledged account that hardly anyone would login in something different than superuser after a few days.
Post 11 Mar 2009, 14:37
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
pelaillo wrote:
But if you need to run on winXP some legacy programs (created for win9x), the only way is to login with an administrator account.
Usually it was just enough to give full permission to the directory of such program to my user account (and sometimes permissions to its registry keys, too). It was enough at least in all my cases. And so I got no annoyances at all, after I took some time in the beginning to configure everything properly.

Last edited by Tomasz Grysztar on 11 Mar 2009, 14:44; edited 1 time in total
Post 11 Mar 2009, 14:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Borsuc wrote:
How good is Sandboxie for protection? I've only used it most times to find out what an installation/program fucks up in my system so I could know about that, but using it with Web browser, how good is it?
I have found sandboxie to be very good. It was originally designed for web browsers so that is it's native function and works well.

You might also be interested in the little DropMyRights fasm app.
Post 11 Mar 2009, 14:44
f0dder

f0dder
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
pelaillo wrote:
Usually it was just enough to give full permission to the directory of such program to my user account (and sometimes permissions to its registry keys, too). It was enough at least in all my cases. And so I got no annoyances at all, after I took some time in the beginning to configure everything properly.
And if that isn't enough, there's sudo equivalent for Windows - problem solved.

Anybody thinking NT is less secure (or securable, rather, since the defaults aren't good) than *u*x definitely haven't done their homework.

Post 11 Mar 2009, 15:22
rugxulo

rugxulo
drhowarddrfine wrote:
I wasn't going to comment anymore in this thread but, since it's somewhat on topic, I found this in my rss when I got back home:
Is IE8 the end of the road for Internet Explorer?
Quote:
IE8 is the last version of the Internet Explorer Web browser. At least, that's what I'm hearing through the grapevine. It seems that Microsoft is preparing to throw in the towel on its Internet Explorer engine once and for all.

Not exactly. Here's what I've heard (and is also quoted by the article you pointed to):

Quote:

Others insist that ... Microsoft will in fact be adopting a brand-new engine coming out of its Microsoft Research division. Dubbed "Gazelle," this new engine will supposedly be more secure than Firefox or even Chrome, making copious use of sandboxing to keep its myriad plug-ins isolated and the overall browser process model protected
Post 12 Mar 2009, 01:31
Borsuc

Borsuc
revolution wrote:
revolution, that's some pretty cool app, good job, thanks Very Happy

Post 13 Mar 2009, 00:06
f0dder

f0dder
Borsuc wrote:
revolution wrote:
revolution, that's some pretty cool app, good job, thanks Very Happy
Yeah, a good idea to use a thing like that for internet-facing apps when you can, if you aren't able to use a non-administrative user account.

Post 13 Mar 2009, 00:55

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: