flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > your hard disks complaint to me just now.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Azu

Azu
sleepsleep wrote:
i just deleted GB of junks off the hard disks.

serious, why such behavious exists, i assume i am not the only one with such behaviour. no serious study by psychologist concerning such behaviour??
Because 2TB of data can be stored in 2 square feet, and the data could become very valuable (to me and/or other people) after it is no longer being publicly distributed?
Post 08 Mar 2009, 21:58
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Hmm I was NEVER fond of the idea of being dependent on the internet -- I always like to save stuff (music, movies, etc) on my HD or buy them or whatever. But still I never keep junk, when I keep stuff, I usually remember about it. (my HD is VERY organized thanks to Total Commander -- couldn't live without it, to be honest Smile).

bitRAKE wrote:
Maybe, it is the hunter-gather instinct? Very Happy
Question

Post 10 Mar 2009, 17:28
Picnic

Picnic
sleepsleep wrote:
quite true.
just qurious to know, how many GB wanted data you guys got inside hard disk? and how many hard disk you got

Lots of music in various formats, photos and videos. 2 external disks 250 gb each. That's it.
Post 10 Mar 2009, 20:36
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Borsuc wrote:
Hmm I was NEVER fond of the idea of being dependent on the internet ...
Hey, why not everyone share their files with the world. With news like "Google software bug shared private online documents" there shouldn't be any problem. Evil or Very Mad I think I can trust Google to keep my documents safe, NOT!
Post 10 Mar 2009, 23:00
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rugxulo

rugxulo
I keep backups of most stuff I download since I don't fully install them usually (only .EXE and minimal doc, if even). Also in case they are (or get) modified. I've found that most of my wasted space is from various liveCD .ISOs (GNU/Linux, *BSD, Minix, etc), which sadly don't compress very well.
Post 10 Mar 2009, 23:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Azu

Azu
Way to derail the thread for your stupid anti-Google agenda, rev...

News flash for you, Windows has had bugs (plural) that let people take files right from your own computer.
Post 10 Mar 2009, 23:24
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Azu wrote:
Way to derail the thread for your stupid anti-Google agenda, rev...
Hehe, I don't have agendas. Check out my website, where does it take you? If I see something wrong I say it, no agenda necessary. If I see something right I say it, no agenda necessary. Google does some things right and some things wrong, so what, everyone is the same. Windows does some things wrong and some things right. *nix does some things wrong and some things right. I do some things wrong and some things right. Doesn't mean any agenda is being followed. I don't have shares in Google, I don't care if it lives or dies.
Azu wrote:
News flash for you, Windows has had bugs (plural) that let people take files right from your own computer.
No kidding, like I didn't know that already. I have said many times about bugs in Windows, but nobody cares. But if I mention about the mere possibility of a bug in *nix, whoops, everyone jump on me for being a *nix hater. Hehe, the Internet is so much fun. Flame me as much as you like, I don't care, I read them with a big smile on my face because of the huge amount of wrong assumptions being made.
Post 11 Mar 2009, 01:00
Azu

Azu
revolution wrote:
Azu wrote:
No kidding, like I didn't know that already. I have said many times about bugs in Windows, but nobody cares. But if I mention about the mere possibility of a bug in *nix, whoops, everyone jump on me for being a *nix hater. Hehe, the Internet is so much fun. Flame me as much as you like, I don't care, I read them with a big smile on my face because of the huge amount of wrong assumptions being made.
Sorry, I assumed you were trying to imply that it would be less safe on Google's servers then on your computer, or something like that. If not, how was your post even remotely relevant? Confused
Post 11 Mar 2009, 01:06
revolution

revolution
Azu wrote:
Sorry, I assumed you were trying to imply that it would be less safe on Google's servers then on your computer, or something like that. If not, how was your post even remotely relevant? Confused
I don't get your meaning. I WAS implying that. Once our data is on some remote server we don't have any control over who views or copies it. Be it by bugs or deliberate snooping, either way the point of control is lost the moment we upload it. Bugs are everywhere, not much we can do about it except deal with them when they are discovered, but to add into the mix a public website designed to give data out seems rather an odd notion to me if the document is considered private. I guess it is just the cost of convenience, we judge the risks and decide to take them. Or perhaps more realistically in many people's case, we judge the convenience and ignore the risks.
Post 11 Mar 2009, 01:25
Azu

Azu
revolution wrote:
Azu wrote:
revolution wrote:
Azu wrote:
revolution wrote:
Evil or Very Mad I think I can trust Google to keep my documents safe, NOT!
No kidding, like I didn't know that already.
I don't get your meaning. I WAS implying that.
Aren't you contradicting yourself? Or did you mean "use *nix instead of Microsoft OR Google"? That would still be a contradiction though, since Google uses *nix.
Post 11 Mar 2009, 01:39
revolution

revolution
Hmm, well, All I meant to say was if you want to keep your stuff private/safe then don't upload/entrust it to some website (doesn't matter which website, Google or any other). Whatever OS Google uses has no bearing on the problem, the software app they run is designed to expose data, no amount of OS hardening will stop that. Even if the OS was completely perfectly safe & secure & bugless then the app is still able to expose the data, that is the purpose of the app.
Post 11 Mar 2009, 01:56
Azu

Azu
I guess that's a yes?
Post 11 Mar 2009, 02:06
revolution

revolution
I can't answer your Q directly yes/no because it assumes too much. "Have you stopped beating your wife?". Too many assumptions.

But where is the contradiction? I said that Google could expose your data, you said I was implying it is less safe on Google servers, I said I was implying that. No contradiction there that I can tell.

Your detour into Windows bugs was irrelevant. ALL OSes have bugs. Just picking upon Windows is not a good argument. *nix has bugs also (time to jump on me now for being a *nix hater). The OS is completely unimportant because everyone has one, so that particular exposure risk is always there. Like I mentioned, no need to add a website into the mix and make your situation worse.

Putting your data on Google is less safe because you expose two paths of risk. 1) The buggy OS (doesn't matter which, choose your favourite) path of exposure, and 2) now you add the Google website risk of exposure. More opportunity to lose control means less security for your data.

BTW: To answer your previous question that I missed. My post was quite relevant to this thread about hard disc failure and where to store data.
Post 11 Mar 2009, 02:30
Borsuc

Borsuc
Man I love forums, look where my simple argument went to Cool
I wasn't even talking about security like that, but about dependency. Like, for example, I want to listen to some music or watch a movie. I do NOT want to be dependent on the internet for that. Let's say my provider goes down for a day -- and what do I do? What if the whole site with the stuff goes down? In short, I never feel "safe" Wink

Now regarding your two arguing, I agree with revolution, although I'm not THAT into secrecy, except for a few files. It's not just the OS but also the access to those files. Get the password and that's it (although that's more like guessing -- backdoors (bugs) are a better option most times).

Post 11 Mar 2009, 22:46
Azu

Azu
revolution wrote:
Your detour into Windows bugs was irrelevant.
Your trolling about Google was irrelevant. My response was relevant to yours. It was obvious that you were being sarcastic and trying to imply that your computer (likely running Windows, like most Google haters) was "more secure" then theirs or something, simply because of one isolated incident.

revolution wrote:
Hey, why not everyone share their files with the world. With news like "Google software bug shared private online documents" there shouldn't be any problem. Evil or Very Mad I think I can trust Google to keep my documents safe, NOT!

Or are you claiming that the above somehow was relevant, and not just random, out of context, Google bashing? It sure looked like you were saying "Hey, look guys, Google has had at least 1 problem, so they sux0r lololol (nevermind that ALL companies have had problems.. most of them more so then Google)! I'm so witty with my sarcastic trolling!!" in a thread that wasn't even about Google or search engines or the internet. How was that relevant? Seemed like flame bait to me..

It would be like if I went to a topic about case lights and said "Lol Windows is such a good operating system.. with things like BSODs and worms able to take it over remotely and steal all your passwords.. I think I want to run it, NOT!! Rolling Eyes"

[offtopic]What's up with the thread notifications on this forum turning off for no reason??[/offtopic]
Post 04 Apr 2009, 08:47
Borsuc

Borsuc
Azu, he bashed any PUBLIC server which can be accessed by anyone. Not just Google. Google just happened to be in that situation in the news right now. It happens. That's what he meant, that shit happens. And when it does, you don't want your data exposed Razz

At least if it's on your computer you won't feel like it's not your fault Razz
Post 04 Apr 2009, 19:31
Azu

Azu
Borsuc wrote:
Azu, he bashed any PUBLIC server which can be accessed by anyone.
Why would public servers be more likely to lose data then local drives? If anything they are probably less likely.. lots of redundancy to avoid pissed off users.. and security is a non-issue; if you have something you want to keep private, you should encrypt it WHEREVER you are saving it to.

Borsuc wrote:
Not just Google. Google just happened to be in that situation in the news right now. It happens. That's what he meant, that shit happens. And when it does, you don't want your data exposed Razz
Oh. I thought the implication was they were "different" then others in this way. If not, then really, what was the point at all?

Borsuc wrote:
At least if it's on your computer you won't feel like it's not your fault Razz
But it's a good feeling being able to blame it on somebody else Razz
Post 04 Apr 2009, 20:38
rCX

rCX
I used to backup all of my important files to 3 floppy disks. I later switched to flashdrives when I ran out of room.

Azu wrote:
Borsuc wrote:
Why would public servers be more likely to lose data then local drives? If anything they are probably less likely..

That's not always the case. While some public servers are less likely to lose data, it still won't protect you from irresponsible server administrators. For example, six years of blogs at journalspace.com were completely wiped out when a disgruntled employee sabotaged the servers. A inadequate backup system and poor security lead to its demise. I guess I'll always trust my disks more than the "cloud." Cool
Post 05 Apr 2009, 01:53
Azu

Azu
rCX wrote:
I used to backup all of my important files to 3 floppy disks. I later switched to flashdrives when I ran out of room.

Azu wrote:
Borsuc wrote:
Why would public servers be more likely to lose data then local drives? If anything they are probably less likely..

That's not always the case. While some public servers are less likely to lose data, it still won't protect you from irresponsible server administrators. For example, six years of blogs at journalspace.com were completely wiped out when a disgruntled employee sabotaged the servers. A inadequate backup system and poor security lead to its demise. I guess I'll always trust my disks more than the "cloud." Cool
I hope your disks are sabotage proof, if you want to avoid those situations. Or backed up in multiple geographic locations.
Post 05 Apr 2009, 09:06
Borsuc

Borsuc
Hmm what about getting hacked?
Your local computer has a lot smaller chances to get hacked cause it isn't "in the highlight". Also, at least you'll blame yourself for not using a proper firewall then, while in others' case, you must trust them Razz

(I'm talking about backdoors, not bruteforce).
Post 05 Apr 2009, 14:43

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: