flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Computer crash?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Borsuc

Borsuc
My comp just crashed a few minutes ago, with a Blue Screen of Death. I push reset and when enumerating my IDE drives, it hangs. Something (maybe the hard drive?) made some soft beeps every second and the HD activity was flashing.

I shut it down. Opened the case, and it seemed pretty warm (could even say cooked). The HD usually has around 32-34 degrees C. I tried to connect the cables but they seemed pretty tight. Anyway after 10 minutes I turned it back on (after it cooled a bit) and it works now as I'm typing this from it.

I didn't put the case back in though, and I now suspect, was it because of the heat? Cooling?

I sure hope it's not my HD falling Confused

Post 03 Mar 2009, 18:50
HyperVista

HyperVista
Borsuc - I hope you are reading this. This LINK provides the information you need to decipher the "beep" code you are hearing to get a hint about the problem. You will need to know the BIOS manufacturer of your machine, which you can see during the boot process, just take note to see if it's AMI, Phoenix, Award, etc.

If you can boot to the BIOS menu (usually by hitting Del or F2 during boot, you can check CPU temperatures, Fan speeds/failures, etc.).

Good luck!

Last edited by HyperVista on 03 Mar 2009, 19:09; edited 1 time in total
Post 03 Mar 2009, 19:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

with a Blue Screen of Death.

usually, u will see the error code produces by windows during the BSOD, try google that.

or try check if your cpu fan goes really dirty with dusts? or maybe the RAM loose?
Post 03 Mar 2009, 19:07
Borsuc

Borsuc
Thanks HyperVista, I have Award BIOS and from that table it doesn't seem to be a normal beep at all. I'm not even sure if it WAS a beep, because it was too soft. It was more like a sound that the hard drive is TRYING to access something but can't, or something like that, and retries every second or so.

Although now it seems it works ok and it runs much cooler without the case (27 degrees), I even put my hand and it feels a lot cooler.

@sleepsleep: the BSOD said stuff like "if you can't get into Windows, try safe mode" and stuff like that which isn't the problem (it's obvious it's hardware-related), and it gave some numbers/address error or something like that. I didn't write it down tho.

Post 03 Mar 2009, 19:44
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

Although now it seems it works ok and it runs much cooler without the case (27 degrees), I even put my hand and it feels a lot cooler.

You have been forgiven, don't waste the opportunity the HDD has gave you to backup all your data NOW!
Post 03 Mar 2009, 19:59
HyperVista

HyperVista
LocalDelAssembly wrote:
You have been forgiven, don't waste the opportunity the HDD has gave you to backup all your data NOW!

AMEN!
Post 03 Mar 2009, 20:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Have you backed up your data today? If not, why not!
Post 04 Mar 2009, 00:05
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
He was quiet by several hours now, perhaps we can safely assume his HDD finally died. Razz
Post 04 Mar 2009, 00:57
revolution

revolution
Bye bye Borsuc, see you again when you have a new HDD. Sorry you lost all your data, but you can always type it all in again. No problem.
Post 04 Mar 2009, 01:04
Borsuc

Borsuc
Hey guys it's not dead yet. I sure hope not at least -- I haven't tried today (posting this from my laptop which has too small HD size to backup some, well most, of the stuff Sad). Although I'm kinda pissed that if it breaks as it's not even an old harddrive (old as in "used a lot"), just about 2 years and not even 24/7 (way less than that, less than, on average, 2.5 times).

But I have been really busy on other technical/work things and still am, especially because of the thing that happened to the HD (was already busy), so that's why I'm inactive. It's like this was the last thing I needed right now Mad

Post 05 Mar 2009, 02:08
revolution

revolution
Have you ever heard of Murphy's Law?

And it doesn't matter how old the HDD is. It can crash the day you buy it, or it can crash 10 years after your buy it, or it might never crash in your lifetime. Unpredictable. Don't expect a new drive to be any better just because it is new.

Have you backed up your data today? If not, why not!
Post 05 Mar 2009, 02:15
comrade

comrade
Bathtub curve suggests otherwise.
Post 05 Mar 2009, 02:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Has it been shown that the Bathtub curve is applicable to HDDs?
Post 05 Mar 2009, 02:24
Borsuc

Borsuc
revolution wrote:
Have you ever heard of Murphy's Law?
No but it seems it fits my pessimistic style Razz

Post 05 Mar 2009, 02:26
comrade

comrade
revolution wrote:
Has it been shown that the Bathtub curve is applicable to HDDs?

Has it been shown that Murphy's Law is applicable to HDDs?

Post 05 Mar 2009, 06:03
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Hehe, Murphy's Law is applicable to EVERYTHING. No proof required, everyone just 'knows' it to be true. Razz
Post 05 Mar 2009, 06:06

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: