flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > 'Unplug or Eject Hardware'

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Hello,

When you select a hard drive from the 'Unplug or Eject Hardware' list in Windows, is it supposed to shut the drive down and stop it from spinning or is the 'Unplug or Eject Hardware' thing used only for syncing data?

Thanks for replying.
Post 21 Feb 2009, 20:05
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
In my experience with USB connected HDDs they only spin down when I turn off the power. I don't know if this is normal or unusual, but for me they all do it so I think it is normal.
Post 22 Feb 2009, 01:58
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
So using a USB enclosure with a slide switch to power the drive off is perfectly normal. It won't do any harm to the hardware in the long run?

Is it any different with internal HDDs? I mean, what happens to those internal drives when you "shutdown" your computer? Are heads still parked properly with either methods?
Post 22 Feb 2009, 10:56
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
The drives will park the heads when the power is turned off. Don't worry about it. They have a special circuit to convert the rotational energy from the platters into electrical voltage to give the drive the necessary power to properly shut itself down.
Post 22 Feb 2009, 11:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Thanks.

Yes, I know HDDs use rotational inertia to park the heads in the "contact start/stop" zone, outside the data zone.

But I just thought this method was only used in case of an unexpected power interruption, that the stress could cause failure in the head mechanism in the long run, and that the proper way to shut a drive down was to send some command through S/ATA ports that would park the heads and stop the motor.
Post 22 Feb 2009, 12:39
Enko

Enko
I have an IDE HD with the USB enclosure wich I have been turning on/off very fecuently somthing about 2 years now. Still working preaty well.
Post 23 Feb 2009, 13:10

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: