flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > windows 7 x64 beta unactivated fully works after expiration

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Feryno

Feryno
Hi guys,
please don't judge me, I was only lazy and did an easier way and I want to share my knowledge with you.
Perhaps there are some people who have the same problem as I had and solved.
I have an older 64 bit PC at home and it is quite heavy (about 20 kilograms). I don't have any internet connection at home and this PC is very secured and separated from most of today danger. Only few bare OS-es are installed there and installed programs are only FASM + about 3-4 programs (10 years old winamp, total commander, media player classis). I use it only for programming and I usually listen MP3 during that and our small daughter watches DVD-s sometimes there. I transfer then projects from that PC using flash disk.

I installed windows 7 x64 about 40 days ago into that PC. I didn't activate it. I can transfer the PC into my job (only 5 minutes of walk, or I can use our car also) and connect it. But why not to use brain instead of muscles sometimes?
So after installation of win 7 I immediatelly deleted the file slui.exe and it is the core of that 'method'.
And win 7 still works fine and don't force me to activate it even after 30 days of the expiration period. It only printed something ugly into the right bottom corner of screen, but that disappeared also after small modification (read ahead to know how to do that). It of course reports that it expired and I have to activate today, but it is everything what win 7 can and it is not capable do do more (like limit me stronger), so it is fully usable everyday after expiration.
It is not so easy to delete that file.

stop the service SL UI Notification Service and also choose its startup type = disabled (Administrative Tools -> Services -> ...)

take ownership of the file slui.exe

change permission of the file slui.exe so you have full access

boot another OS and delete the file slui.exe (perhaps it is also possible to delete it when booting into safe mode? - I didn't tried it using safe mode, I did it by booting another OS)

I still don't know what happens when a date when win 7 beta stops work comes, whether it will run or not (years ago I used a modified boot sector for release candidates and beta releases of win XP 64 to set the same date every boot, it required only 20 bytes in boot sector, there is plenty space there e.g. in the strings). I don't want to test it right now (e.g. by setting time 1 year ahead) because I don't want to waste any time by reinstallation.

OK, now how to remove ugly strings in the right bottom corner:
You must edit files
System32\en-US\user32.dll.mui
SysWOW64\en-US\user32.dll.mui
These files differ, the first one is 64-bit executable and the second one is 32 bit executable (this is not mistake, it is really correct!).
Again, at first take owhership, then change permission to have full access, then replace/edit that files (perhaps it requires booting another OS, I can't remember now, it was more than 1 month ago).
And take a care and don't forget about 1 very important fact:
You must use 64 bit application to replace the 64-bit version of the file.
If you use 32 bit app then that app sees only SysWOW64 directory holding 32-bit versions of all files. Even you think you are in System32, in fact, you are in SysWOW64, you can only very rarely go into System32 holding 64-bit versions of all files using any 32 bit application (requires 1 new system call to disable that shadowing, newer total commander can do that after manually setting that).
Using Windows Explorer is fine to do that (Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer, or simultaneously pressing the Winkey+E launches the same).
For lazy people, here you have edited files with erased strings:

Description:
Download
Filename: w7edit.zip
Filesize: 17.24 KB
Downloaded: 93 Time(s)

Last edited by Feryno on 02 Mar 2009, 12:37; edited 1 time in total
Post 20 Feb 2009, 08:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I thought that MS stated publicly that after the activation timeout there is no functionality loss, just the annoying messages. I can't find it now but I remember it from somewhere. Does anyone have a reference stating that (or the opposite)?
Post 20 Feb 2009, 08:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
How long is the Activated Windows 7 suppose to be "okay"?
Post 20 Feb 2009, 17:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Haha lol Win7 has already been cracked? Razz
j/k
Post 20 Feb 2009, 21:34
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
somewhere i read on internet, i coudln't find the official source, they mentioned it will cease to function after 1st august 2009.

maybe it will not function after that date if it is activated.... haha
btw, nice trick here.
Post 20 Feb 2009, 23:11
Alphonso

Alphonso
revolution wrote:
I thought that MS stated publicly that after the activation timeout there is no functionality loss, just the annoying messages. I can't find it now but I remember it from somewhere. Does anyone have a reference stating that (or the opposite)?
With Vista expiring activation it would disable the desktop wall paper and use a black background but probably the most annoying part was the text that said something like "is not genuine" no might not be genuine Evil or Very Mad but everything appeared to work OK. Oh the "not genuine" was genuine by the way but I was hoping to use the 64 bit version so hadn't activated the 32 bit version (long story). It also seems there may only be 5 product keys for W7 Beta 32 bit and 5 product keys for 64 bit even though MS say your allowed to use the key on up to 5 computers (was 3 earlier).

Last edited by Alphonso on 24 Feb 2009, 08:03; edited 1 time in total
Post 21 Feb 2009, 10:10
Feryno

Feryno
OK guys, let stop all doubts. After slui.exe disappeares (hard task to do), windows 7 x64 beta seems to run forever. Yesterday I set date in bios 3 years forward and OS ran normally - see the right bottom corner in the picture. I'll delete this picture soon because I'm on the edge of the FASM board quota limit (5 MB).

edit 2009-06-11 forced to delete the image because reached the edge of 5 MB quota limit and needed to attach another things

Last edited by Feryno on 11 Jun 2009, 10:23; edited 1 time in total
Post 24 Feb 2009, 06:13
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
ha, you have the same processor and RAM I have Razz Is it a Venice core?
Post 24 Feb 2009, 13:06
Feryno

Feryno
Just right now I was still able to login into the e-shop where I have bought all components of that PC, everything was bought and assembled together 2005-March-15
the CPU according records of the e-shop is:
CPU Amd Athlon A64 3200+ 64-bit HT Winchester BOX socket 939

All components ot the PC live todays and nothing went into silicon heaven yet.

The first 64-bit OS installed there was Linux (perhaps Fedora Core 2 amd64?) and I did first samples of 64-bit ELF, after few months I got development versions of win XP 64-bit and did first 64-bit executable samples, after few months I decided to work on 64-bit debugger so fdbg project was born.
Post 25 Feb 2009, 11:47
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Aaaagh, you don't have SSE3 then. Though, to be sure about what core was actually installed you may use http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php , it will tell you the core name and the supported instruction set among many other things.
Post 25 Feb 2009, 13:40
revolution

revolution
I don't think SSE3 is a very important thing to have. Once SSE2 got the DP vectors working the rest of the additions have been disappointing. AVX will be nice though (when it eventually comes).
Post 25 Feb 2009, 13:47
Coddy41

Coddy41
off topic wrote:
How Does win 7 run on that computer?
Post 25 Feb 2009, 18:40
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
If anyone here is interested in also downloading the Win7 WDK for driver development. It's availble at http://connect.microsoft.com ; OSR has kindly provided invitation OSR-GMVB-T9HX , and have your passport handy.
Post 26 Feb 2009, 05:29
Feryno

Feryno
During weekend, I restored the slui.exe and booted windows 7.
After login, a window with activation appeared. There was the first choice to activate (I coudn't do that and wouldn't even be able to do that, the PC was not connected). The second choice was something like "don't activate yet but remind me later". The third choice was "cancel" button which did the same as the choice number 2.
So, answer is: windows 7 x64 beta is fully usable after 30-days activation expiration. You just must do 1 extra click after login ("don't activate yet, remind me later", or pressing the "cancel" button) and after succesfull login the screen is set to ugly black color + the ugly strings in the right bottom corner of the screen.
My suggestion to delete slui.exe speeds up login and prevents setting the screen to black. My suggestion to edit user32.dll.mui erases the ugly strings in the right bottom corner.
Now only 1 thing remains: finding how to delete 'Send Feedback' in all title bars of windows and beta version will look like RTM version for the first sight, hahaha. I'll check all files (few GB) for unicode string "Send Feedback" and we will see whether it can be erased.
Post 02 Mar 2009, 12:41
revolution

revolution
I suspect that MS have rationalised the way they protect the OS with the thought that if the user is smart/determined enough to hack the system files then that is a sale was was never going to happen anyway. So therefore there is no need of a more complicated scheme. Making it more complicated may leads to bugs and problems for genuine paying customers. And making it simple will effectively stymie most of the average users anyway.
Post 03 Mar 2009, 12:35
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
How to Disable, Turnoff & Remove Windows 7 Send Feedback Link: wrote:
1. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit), and navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

2. Add in a new DWORD (32-bit) Value named FeedbackToolEnabled, and then set its value data as 0.

3. Log off and log on again for the change to take effect.
I'm still having video driver problems despite a couple new driver versions. It crashes about twice a day, but Win7 recovers with a slight delay. I've cent feedback explaining the onset conditions which are most common.
Post 04 Mar 2009, 03:15

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: