flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > how you learn, getting the know knowledge

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Post 16 Feb 2009, 04:01
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
tom tobias wrote:
thinking: act of negating that which is immediately before us. aka cogitation, reflection, contemplation.
All of these words imply a neuronal operation performing something analogous to a British Museum Search algorithm.
Not quite because imagination is different, what you proposed was more like induction or deduction based on input (something like a binary tree search) but that is just left-brain hemisphere activity, and the FAR MORE important one in programming is the right-brain hemisphere -- this wasn't true before the computers though. Computers are very good at emulating at least half of left-brain hemisphere activity (today's computers I mean). Even a simple computation is such an emulation.

tom tobias wrote:
learning: the most difficult concept to describe: this operation reminds one of human fraility. We learn foreign languages as youngsters, whose brains have not yet fully matured. By age 12 or 14 or so, the brain is fully developed, and the human ability to master foreign languages is greatly hindered. This suggests, to me at least, that "learning" has something to do with fundamental neuronal circuitry, rather than "plasticity"--i.e. change in efficiency of individual or group synaptic connections.
In other words, in my opinion, not a fact, "learning" in adults, and children are not synonymous, from a cellular physiological perspective. I have no idea how to define "learning" in a computer program. Can an inanimate object, without consciousness, learn? This topic was a favorite theme of Science Fiction authors for the past six decades....
This is interesting, and it can be done so in computer emulations as well (albeit really slow if we want to emulate some full animal brain, but possible nonetheless).

If anyone clicked on the link I provided, it was an AI program that is not "classical AI" -- i.e it has "temporal intelligence", it is NOT limited to a specific-purpose, it can be used to play chess, solve equations, and just about anything temporally related (just like a real animal brain).

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/louis.savain/AI/Animal.htm

This program, furthermore, does not just "modify" the properties of neurons like most classics do (i.e like you said adult learning) but also CREATES new neurons if needed completely dynamically (child learning).

@bitrake: what I linked above is not CONSCIOUSNESS. It is some kind of unconscious intelligence and processing -- more like 'instincts'. We all know how complex the cerebellum can be, and that just deals with the unconscious motor functions. Wink

Post 16 Feb 2009, 16:02
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
The animal takes some time to appreciate - only at 25k cells, 58k connections. Too bad it can't play with another animal. Am I neglecting my animal if I leave without responding to it's play?
Post 16 Feb 2009, 20:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Have you read Louis Savain's blog?
(I'm a bit of a nut, but this guy is at least a full nibble.)
Post 17 Feb 2009, 06:25

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: