flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Feedback > Website updates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
DOS386

DOS386
revolution wrote:
give preference to forum software that supports non-JS browsers.

Agree php-BB2 is very good here Smile

Quote:
give preference to forum software that can search reliably.

Agree also, less critical.
Post 13 Feb 2009, 08:30
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
The latest version of phpBB says it is XHTML compliant:

phpBB3: Technical Features
Post 13 Feb 2009, 16:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MazeGen

MazeGen
I didn't get why you guys hunt for XHTML so much.

(Note that I do not ask why XHTML is better than HTML.)
Post 13 Feb 2009, 17:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
One point is that it makes things more strict and less ambiguous, and therefore makes it harder to make structural mistakes that would go unnoticed otherwise.

Also, is much more elegant in general. And I have inclination to elegant languages. Smile
Post 13 Feb 2009, 17:29
revolution

revolution
MazeGen wrote:
I didn't get why you guys hunt for XHTML so much.

(Note that I do not ask why XHTML is better than HTML.)
Actually I don't understand the question. If I am not allowed to say "because it is better" then I have no other reason left to say.
Post 13 Feb 2009, 17:32
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
revolution wrote:
If I am not allowed to say "because it is better" then I have no other reason left to say.

He didn't say you're not allowed to say it. He only said he is not asking about it. Wink
Post 13 Feb 2009, 18:09
revolution

revolution
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
revolution wrote:
If I am not allowed to say "because it is better" then I have no other reason left to say.

He didn't say you're not allowed to say it. He only said he is not asking about it. Wink
Razz
Post 13 Feb 2009, 18:16
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:

You don't say. Well, actually, you did say.

Now that you're using true XHTML, which is XML, you can get really fancy manipulating data, using MathML, better DOM stuff and so on. Except no one on IE would ever see it. Very Happy Maybe you'll even get into XUL!
Post 13 Feb 2009, 21:22
MazeGen

MazeGen
Yes, answer like "because it is better" is valid Smile

I just didn't want to start a flame war on why XHTML is better than HTML.
Post 16 Feb 2009, 09:43
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
It's apples and oranges. They serve different purposes. Most people don't serve XHTML anyway and it only works in modern browsers, not Internet Explorer. But future web development includes XHTML and XML and current development requires it in some areas, so getting people to dump IE for any other browser is crucial to moving the web forward.
Post 16 Feb 2009, 13:16
revolution

revolution
It is REALLY hard to dump IE. I've tried ... and failed.

I once completely deleted it from my system only to discover some of the commercial apps I use fail to run without it. There also seems to be just too many bad apps out there that need to be changed before IE can be excised from the system.

So, of course, what happens is we end up with TWO browsers, IE and whatever other one we chose to download. The situation is quite complex to solve Sad
Post 16 Feb 2009, 13:26
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Yeah, that's what they get for tying into the Microsoft system. Now it's .NET where you get further entrenched. Fortunately, the European Commission is moving to get Microsoft to break IE out of the OS, something the US Justice Department failed to force despite winning judgement against them. (Actually, it was settled.)
Post 16 Feb 2009, 16:18
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
But do you really have to remove it completely from your system, when what you really need is to just use another, standards-compliant browser? It's like having Microsoft Paint on your computer shouldn't really bother you when can download and run Gimp, etc. Wink
Post 16 Feb 2009, 16:24
revolution

revolution
I wanted the "embedded" browser in the external apps to use FF (or anything else, even nothing) and not use IE. When I run those apps IE still runs and makes my computer vulnerable to problems. I thought it would be prudent to remove IE to avoid problems. But the apps are written so badly that even though only one OLE (called active-X now) object (the IE OLE) fails to initialise the whole app dies.
Post 16 Feb 2009, 16:29
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
revolution wrote:
I would give preference to forum software that can find all posts in the last day.

I've added a new feature for you, can you find it? Wink

revolution wrote:
I wanted the "embedded" browser in the external apps to use FF (or anything else, even nothing) and not use IE.

Well, that's a different problem. In fact, there should exist some kind of uniform interface that would allow to embed the browser of user choice into your application. I don't know if there are any.
Post 16 Feb 2009, 16:35
revolution

revolution
fasm forum search wrote:
The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.
The script had an error or it did not produce any output. If there was an error, you should be able to see it in the error log.
I put "*" for both author and keywords, selected 1 day, selected posts (not topics) and get the above error.
Post 16 Feb 2009, 16:38
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
revolution wrote:
I put "*" for both author and keywords, selected 1 day, selected posts (not topics) and get the above error.

You look in the wrong place. Wink
Post 16 Feb 2009, 16:41
revolution

revolution
Okay, found it, on main page. Looks good and worked!

I'm going to make http://board.flatassembler.net/search.php?search_id=recentposts my new bookmark for this website.
Post 16 Feb 2009, 16:42
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
You can't totally remove IE because parts of it are embedded in the OS, like Windows Explorer (where IEs name comes from) and you need it for Windows Update.
Post 16 Feb 2009, 17:13
revolution

revolution
Yeah, I remember an old version of the Office help that used the embedded OLE engine to display it's pages. If I turned off web images in IE then I also unwittingly turned off the graphics diagrams in the Office help pages. There was no way to re-enable the graphics from the help app, I had to open IE and enable image display to get the graphics back.

Very frustrating and a very bad idea to integrate IE.
Post 16 Feb 2009, 17:19

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: