flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Petabox and the death of NTFS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Borsuc wrote:
... how much does DNA store anyway?
It seems to be something like 2.8 billion base pairs total. But that might seem small for even today's HDD sizes, but who knows what drug algorithms may become useful with cheaply available storage. Storage/backtracking algos could suddenly become a huge time saver with lots of history stored for easy retrieval during the algorithm run time. <pure speculation of course>
Borsuc wrote:
Still not something the average joe will do but anyway...
The Average Joe won't do it today, but tomorrow? <aren't you tired of me saying that!>
Post 20 Feb 2009, 19:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
The Average Joe tomorrow becomes a biological researcher?
Oh shit we'll be full of geneticists and lose our other skills Sad
Post 20 Feb 2009, 21:28
revolution

revolution
Borsuc wrote:
The Average Joe tomorrow becomes a biological researcher?
Oh shit we'll be full of geneticists and lose our other skills Sad
Well, just like today where any ordinary person can become a number theorist. Okay not really a NT but is it now very easy to download a program from the 'Net and start doing large number factorisation jobs. No mathematics knowledge required. So, in my (somewhat whimsical) situation above, I had considered that Joe would only need to be interested in his own health. Then simply follow a few easy steps and download some software and start finding his own personalised drugs.

But, just so that everyone knows, I know zero about these DNA or A/V subjects. I'm just saying that, by giving these examples, there could be many many possibilities for people to want to have (what is considered today) hugely-massive amounts of storage.

Bill Gates said something like "we will never need more than 640kB of memory". Borsuc said "we will never need petabox storage in our PCs". revolution said "the sky is the limit dude".
Post 21 Feb 2009, 01:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Storage so large that nothing need ever be deleted!
Post 21 Feb 2009, 03:26
revolution

revolution
bitRAKE wrote:
Storage so large that nothing need ever be deleted!
This is a good point. If large storage is able to be achieved with WORM (Write Once, Read Many) memory then the larger the better. Like the multi-session CDs, just keep "burning" in the new info. A few petabytes could take Joe years to fill, about the same as the current HDD lifetime. So once full, buy the latest technology and update, just like with HDDs currently.
Post 21 Feb 2009, 07:57
Borsuc

Borsuc
revolution wrote:
Well, just like today where any ordinary person can become a number theorist. Okay not really a NT but is it now very easy to download a program from the 'Net and start doing large number factorisation jobs. No mathematics knowledge required. So, in my (somewhat whimsical) situation above, I had considered that Joe would only need to be interested in his own health. Then simply follow a few easy steps and download some software and start finding his own personalised drugs.
I was a bit joking though, but that wouldn't be very feasible. Society-wise speaking, it's like letting everyone build a nuke! (ok not really but you get the point)

revolution wrote:
Bill Gates said something like "we will never need more than 640kB of memory". Borsuc said "we will never need petabox storage in our PCs". revolution said "the sky is the limit dude".
Yeah and he was partly right. Partly because the huge memory we have today is NOT used for computation (i mean, for home PCs of course, not super-computers). Time and time again it has been proven that only entertainment-related subjects need huge amount of storage. I'm not talking about the limit but about practice. Of course, theoretically, you could make huge storage. Theoretically you could even make 3D storage, but you may not be able to read it (what good is storing stuff if you can't read it back?), or it may overheat, depending on what's used or what method for reading.

In practice, there's no real good point to have huge storage without enough bandwidth or "usage" (this is more of a factor). What's the purpose of keeping files you don't need and will never read in time? For police evidence?

Post 21 Feb 2009, 17:48
revolution

revolution
Lots of storage space may make this possible:
Post 22 Feb 2009, 04:14
dosin

dosin
Then need for speed would be better! faster bandwidths for the internet!
That way when the time comes we could download the internet in 5 mins
rather than wait 4,381 years! Laughing
Post 22 Feb 2009, 04:47
revolution

revolution
No, it is not the speed that is important, it is just being able to have that size file available for upload that is important. Then we can make special apps that just grab the .zip file headers and then selectively get the wanted files from the zip as we need them. Who wants to download all the fan websites for Brittany Spears et. al. onto their computer? Ugh, no need to waste time downloading that nonsense, just skip it and get the next part.
Post 22 Feb 2009, 05:57
dosin

dosin
I take it you dont like Brintney Spears - Laughing

but with greater bandwith it will cut your programs download time down to seconds making it more efective... Time is going to be the main factor.. people dont like to wait... why have so much disk space you could never fill from the lack of time!!!
Post 22 Feb 2009, 13:58
revolution

revolution
dosin wrote:
I take it you dont like Brintney Spears
You know how some girls get so exited at pop concerts that they throw their underwear at the performers? Well with her they do that also, but for a different reason, BS is so forgetful she forgets to wear her own. Razz
dosin wrote:
why have so much disk space you could never fill from the lack of time
Oh, that would be bliss, not having to worry about running out of disk space.
Post 22 Feb 2009, 14:15
guignol

guignol
revolution wrote:
revolution said "the sky is the limit dude".
The 'sky's the limit' is, actually, very limited, chum. Wink
Post 22 Feb 2009, 16:22
revolution

revolution
I think the limit of storage will likely be met before 2²⁶²‧⁷ bytes.

With the estimate of ≈10⁸⁰ atoms in the known universe (this is the limit of the sky), and assuming that each atom can store one bit, that makes ≈2²⁶⁵‧⁷ bits.

So if the entire known universe were to be converted to computer storage that would be only 2²⁶²‧⁷ bytes. I hope it will be enough!
Post 22 Feb 2009, 16:33
windwakr

windwakr
Revolution, I see alot of squares in your post, could you tell me what they are supposed to be?
Post 22 Feb 2009, 23:44
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I see them right but the digit 2 and the dot as exponents are shown at a different height than the rest of the digits.

[edit]
OK, revolution seems to not be here right now so I'll reply for him:

revolution wrote:
I think the limit of storage will likely be met before 2^262.7 bytes.

With the estimate of ~10^80 atoms in the known universe (this is the limit of the sky), and assuming that each atom can store one bit, that makes ~2^265.7 bits.

So if the entire known universe were to be converted to computer storage that would be only 2^262.7 bytes. I hope it will be enough!

[/edit]
Post 23 Feb 2009, 00:43
revolution

revolution
Thanks LocoDelAssembly, yes that is what I had intended. I will forgive you the him/her thing. It seems the Unicode superscript numbers are not displayed properly in some browsers.

The following are the Unicode superscript numbers 0 through 9: ⁰¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹

The following are the Unicode subscript numbers 0 through 9: ₀₁₂₃₄₅₆₇₈₉

So guignol thinks the that sky's limit of 2²⁶²‧⁷ (2^262.7) bytes is "very limited". Must be that guignol has some very data intensive application. I wonder what it is?
Post 23 Feb 2009, 02:21
windwakr

windwakr
I'm using IE7.0.5730.13, and I only see the superscript for 1,2, and 3. I see no subscripts.
Post 23 Feb 2009, 02:34
revolution

revolution
windwakr: You need a new browser.
Post 23 Feb 2009, 02:40
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
The attachment is a screenshot of a "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)".

Description:
Filesize: 4.35 KB
Viewed: 4820 Time(s)

revolution_testing_UNICODE.PNG

Post 23 Feb 2009, 02:42
revolution

revolution
This is mine.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6

Description:
Filesize: 5.4 KB
Viewed: 4815 Time(s)

FF_SuperSub.PNG

Post 23 Feb 2009, 02:50

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: