flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > windows 7, beta out today for public

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
7068 leaked out .... Smile
Post 29 Mar 2009, 10:34
asmfan

asmfan
You really think it is? maybe it's a cheap beta-testing?
Post 29 Mar 2009, 10:41
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i tested this build yesterday, now in my laptop.
7068 really look promising. it seems that i could use my laptop a little bit longer than usual while on battery.
Post 01 Apr 2009, 12:12
Feryno

Feryno
Quote:
7068 really look promising. it seems that i could use my laptop a little bit longer than usual while on battery

Hi, sleepsleep, I have the same feeling, but I didn't exact tests. E.g. fans may run differently according the temperature in room and consume different power etc.
I have found this interesting difference by monitoring both win2003 and win2008 kernels (w7 has almost identical kernel as win2008) in the power saving implementation:
- win2003 does it perhaps using the PAUSE instruction (my PC never did the HLT instruction during tests, only the PAUSE, I expected the HLT but I was wrong because the HLT never happened)
- win2008 does the MONITOR instruction and then the MWAIT instruction and it seems to be more power saving than the older way in win2003
Post 02 Apr 2009, 09:21
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
yeah but when you use it doesn't it require the graphics card a lot for "shiny shit" and the gradient-stuff as in Vista?
Post 02 Apr 2009, 23:09
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Now MS are announcing Win7 release on May 5.

But look at the ridiculous nonsense that MS are spouting on the AP
AP release from MS wrote:
"Windows 7 shows significant promise," Forrester Research analyst Ben Gray wrote in an independent report on the operating system. "Start preparing for it now, and the best way to prepare for Windows 7 is by deploying Windows Vista."
Talk about fleecing the customers. They want everyone to buy Vista before buying Win7! Greed still rules at MS, unfortunately.

The most interesting (to me at least) new part of Win7 is the WinXP VM. Hehe, that is like MS saying "Yeah, well um, Win7 is not compatible with your current software, so we put in a VM to cover you in the meantime". So why would I buy Win7 when I'll just end up running it in XP mode?
Post 01 May 2009, 12:12
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i got the win7 rc already Smile maybe tonite i will put it in my laptop.

regarding the windows XP mode, (what in my mind is) since microsoft said, the win7 comes with legal windows xp OS, how about if we take the vm xp and deploy it as windows xp only in hardware machine. (and make it legal too)

and if i am not mistaken, ms will give some discount or offer for vista customer to upgrade to 7. free or with some small amount of money.

my last test was build 7077, it seems a bit crappy and use more memory. i wonder how the RC version... might set it up tonite and report back.
Post 01 May 2009, 12:31
rugxulo

rugxulo
The XP SP3 VM (VirtualPC) part is an optional, free download only for Pro, Ultimate, and I think Business users. So Home Premium users won't be able to use it.

I doubt it will be legal to use outside of the VM, esp. considering how they forbid OEM installs of Vista to be used inside VMs.

BTW, I also doubt Win7 will be discounted (much, if at all) for current Vista users. You may get a coupon if you buy soon, but older users are out of luck. (But at least SP2 just got finalized.)
Post 02 May 2009, 10:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i just put the RC build,so far,(several hours) everything seems nice.
win 7 is just like vlited vista... sorry to say that, ms marketing dept works very well this time Smile
change the name and add some new features, voila, u got remake-up vista Razz
Post 02 May 2009, 17:38
Borsuc

Borsuc
What do you mean? It's not faster/less bloated? Confused
Post 02 May 2009, 20:40
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
it is faster, less bloated, (but it is still vista in disguised)
i guess 7 will get popular, even if ms have to give them all free.
otherwise, in less than 7 years, nobody will use ms OS anymore.
Post 03 May 2009, 11:01

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: