flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > flashplayer for 64-bit systems

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I almost cried when I've seen it!

http://blogs.computerworld.com/64_bit_linux_adobe_flash_player_surprisingly_good

I haven't tested it myself yet, but the fact that Adobe FINALLY decided to at least release something makes me very happy Very Happy

Here are the downloads for Linux and Solaris: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
Post 09 Jan 2009, 03:47
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
UPDATE: Tested on Mint Elyssa AMD64 installed on ~/.mozilla/plugins, worked great so far and much better than the 32-bit version with wrapper. youtube videos at full screen started to work at full frame rate also and the around 1 second sound latency (not present on videos but in flash games for example) disappeared. The problem with the sound latency may not be caused by the wrapper but whichever the cause was, the problem is gone.
Post 09 Jan 2009, 05:58
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Yea, its great stuff, but for some reason I still have problems with flash on my laptop. Not major ones, just the text on "related videos" after you play a video on youtube are missing.
Post 09 Jan 2009, 06:37
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Do you mean that the rectangles appear with the thumbnail but without the descriptive text? If that is the case then I'm immune to that problem fortunately (well, never happened so far).

There is a problem however, the plugin seems to claim full ownership of the sound card because once I play any video (and during the playing of it) no other program on the system can play any sound Sad . Worst of all is that I have to close Firefox to get the sound back. Well, I think this explains why there is no sound latency, it is not passing through the sound server.
Post 09 Jan 2009, 15:37
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
It works on my desktop but not on my laptop, but yes.

Sound issues... i've not come across them, but then i don't use a sound server either Razz.

Post 09 Jan 2009, 18:23
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Unfortunately I do, it is PulseAudio from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_server

I have to see how to remove it and use just plain ALSA like I had on Gentoo. OTOH, I wonder why the sound server and some application not passing through it can't coexist, this is a problem I also had on some Debian stable distro but not on (now stable) Etch and Lenny.

Well, I'm downloading Solaris now just to test it, if I don't like it then I will go back but using LFS since I don't need a working Linux environment at the moment so I can build one little-by-little.
Post 09 Jan 2009, 19:15
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
LFS yes, wish I had the time to do that ^^.
Post 10 Jan 2009, 07:32
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I have just tried the same procedure on an Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD and this time there were no problems with others applications sound playback. However, the unacceptable ~1 second sound latency is now present... (not present on YouTube videos, only in sounds that are user interaction dependant).

Well, I'm using this Ubuntu to chroot for the CLFS installation, I hope I can solve this sound problem when I get a desktop system up and running ^^ (which I believe it could take me a month very easily to get to that point but not only because I'm slow but also because I'm not all the day working on it Razz).
Post 11 Jan 2009, 05:57
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Razz
Post 11 Jan 2009, 07:31
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Check this out:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio

It says flashplayer 10 has native pulseaudio support! Maybe you should try that?
Post 17 Jan 2009, 13:32
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
The partition is already with a half finished CLFS installation so it is very late to try Razz

Anyway I see that Ubuntu also uses PulseAudio and last time I've checked it worked by just installing it on the personal plug-ins directory. Now I would like to know what the ArchLinux guys mean by "you might end up with a little delay", in my experience it is around 1 second and I think that shooting and hearing the weapon sound one second later can't be considered "little delay". I couldn't see where Gnome has controls to adjust the buffer length so if I will have PulseAudio again I'll have to change this manually. As an extra note, this delay is noticed globally, for example if I change the volume in Totem, the change only gets evident one second later.

Thanks for the info Raedwulf.
Post 17 Jan 2009, 15:07
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
"might" is also uncertain - it depends on the your system, I need to test it myself Razz
Post 18 Jan 2009, 06:55
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Now I've booted up Ubuntu 8.10 to continue with CLFS installation and also I've tested some things with the sound. The solution that finally worked great was:
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ pulseaudio -k
W: ltdl-bind-now.c: Failed to find original dlopen loader.
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ps axu | grep pulseaudio
ubuntu   10646  0.0  0.0   7452   888 pts/1    S+   00:45   0:00 grep pulseaudio

(Sorry, I forgot to use ps before issuing the kill command but believe me that a process named pulseaudio was present at the Gnome's System Monitor)

And game over, now the ultra-high latency (something that PulseAudio is supposed to be very goot at keeping it very low, BTW) is gone and at the same time the ability to play sounds from multiple sources at the same time is allowed like when PulseAudio is present.

I have checked the PulseAudio's etc configs but nothing suggested a 1 second latency, only there was something that at worst could have suggested only a 0.08 seconds latency (i.e. 80 ms).

Perhaps it is a problem with my sound card driver which is not very well done, for example it insists that the master volume is "IEC958 Front" and by default is muted since 2005 year to present, while "Analog Front" (the real master volume), is set with a volume that can destroy your ears if you forgot to cover them while the login sound is playing. So, something I have to do since I'm bought this computer and installed Linux is to correct this so I can actually control the real volume. (This has nothing to do with the problem but I wanted to comment it to you anyway Razz)

In case you see something about my card by accident I leave the full description of it:
Code:
root@ubuntu:/home/ubuntu# lspci -vvkxnn -d 1102:0007
01:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS [1102:0007]
      Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:1009]
    Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
   Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
   Latency: 32 (500ns min, 5000ns max)
     Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
       Region 0: I/O ports at df00 [size=32]
   Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
           Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1+ D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
     Kernel driver in use: CA0106
    Kernel modules: snd-ca0106
00: 02 11 07 00 05 00 90 02 00 00 01 04 00 20 00 00
10: 01 df 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
20: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 62 14 09 10
30: 00 00 00 00 dc 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 0b 01 02 14    

Note that actually this is a SB Live! 24-bit so perhaps my problem with the volume commented above is caused by not using an exact driver but a more generic one.

[edit]BTW, seems that I've exaggerated Totem's latency, when PulseAudio daemon is on the delay is something around half a second while without PulseAudio something around a quarter. This is computed by ear of course but the latency difference can be noticed (but non of them are really annoying). What I've said about Flash is still true however (tested again).[/edit]
Post 19 Jan 2009, 01:08
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Sounds great!, I've installed the latest OSS, it its working great so far (works well with OSS applications and alsa applications work pretty well too).
Just need to setup pulse audio on my system again and then put my main speakers on my router so I can share speakers. (Not sure what the latency would be, but i will probably only use my headset for low-latency stuff(games))

My router is a PIII, and the idea behind it is that I can play music at night - because my PIII is on 24/7.
Post 20 Jan 2009, 08:48

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: