flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > AMD plans for future

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
tom tobias

tom tobias
...The Foundry Company will include manufacturing facilities in Dresden, Germany with plans to expand that site as well as build a state-of-the art facility in Saratoga County, New York.

The new company will have its principal headquarters in Silicon Valley, and its research and development and manufacturing teams in New York, Dresden, and Austin, Texas.
AMD, which has been losing money and falling behind market leader Intel Corp., has said the move would result in one company that designs semiconductors and another which builds them.
But, why is it desirable to have separate companies, scattered all over the globe? Wouldn't it be better to FOCUS, rather than distribute, in time of difficulty? What does AMD gain from incurring debt from Abu Dhabi? Wouldn't it be better to DOWNSIZE without indebtedness, instead of expanding by borrowing money on future sales of non-existent widgets? In the face of a rapidly shrinking economy, world wide, does it seem reasonable to borrow millions of dollars from the middle east oil kings, to design a cpu--> dependant upon the long since obsolete Intel architecture?

Question
Post 07 Jan 2009, 13:01
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I quess they think moving smaller would result in gradual decline, so they think "either this or we die definitively".
Post 07 Jan 2009, 13:32
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
I feel bad for AMD not being able to get 45nm because of transistor design. They make good processors.

Well at least, it's what I heard -- not sure if they did in the meantime (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Post 07 Jan 2009, 14:36
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Always borrow for capital investment - there is no exception.
The locations were no doubt based on incentives from government.
Post 07 Jan 2009, 16:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: