flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > POS label software, how to do program barcode?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
hi there,
one question pops into my head, regarding POS, labeling software.

let say, i need to code a software that could print label (as part of POS set), how to code the label part? any library or windows api already has it?

Last edited by sleepsleep on 07 Jan 2009, 02:30; edited 1 time in total
Post 06 Jan 2009, 10:25
Borsuc

Borsuc
What's POS?
Post 06 Jan 2009, 14:42
HyperVista

HyperVista
Borsuc wrote:
What's POS?

It's either Point of Sale, or Piece of Shit ... Very Happy
Post 06 Jan 2009, 16:23
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
farrier

farrier
sleepsleep,

As with all other things: It depends!

I have been dealing with POS for 21 years now, and all kind of printers. Starting with dot matrix impact printers using continuous feed label stock. Now using thermal transfer jewelry tag printers, as well as dot matrix and "others". The type of label you use will determine the printer to use and therefore how to make the printer print the info you want to print.

Most "graphical" printers--mixing text with "images" such as bar codes--come with dll's which interact with the printer and allow you to send data from your POS software and format the label in many different ways.

Another consideration is the POS software you use. Whichever package you use may have an interface to a wide variety of printers. Different labels are available for different applications. I've had to use some labels with an adhesive which is "removable" because the labels are affixed to items not in a box or wrapper, and needed to be removed.

hth,

farrier

... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, ...
The code is dark, and full of errors!
Post 06 Jan 2009, 20:20
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
ok, i think i miss the great word....
how to programmically maybe using fasm or c/c++ or winapi to print out the bardcode? yep, barcode.

and how to use the stock printer font programmically in our code?

btw, thanks farrier for the labeling info...
Post 07 Jan 2009, 02:29
Chewy509

Chewy509
sleepsleep wrote:
ok, i think i miss the great word....
how to programmically maybe using fasm or c/c++ or winapi to print out the bardcode? yep, barcode.

and how to use the stock printer font programmically in our code?

btw, thanks farrier for the labeling info...

If you're after a generic method that will work on any printer, simply find a barcode font (http://www.fonts4free.net/code-128-font.html for Code128 font), and simply print as per normal and instead of using Times New Roman, use the applicable font.

Warning, some barcode formats do require particular sequences of characters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode for more information.
Post 07 Jan 2009, 06:17
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
thanks chewy,
i see, so, the barcode could be generated by using the barcode font... awesome cool..

but one question arises in my mind, usually the barcode is somehow fixed length.

so, using barcode font, how many characters i should type? let us assume is 10, so if it is number, should i create a barcode with zero padded in front?
eg. 0000000088 ?

coz i am required to do a simple barcode printing software for in house POS, coz i am sick of using their purchased POS software, so i need to create my own solution for them.
Post 07 Jan 2009, 06:45
farrier

farrier
sleepsleep,

Check the printer you will be using to see if there is a built in bar code font, then you can choose a text font, print text, choose barcode font, print barcode, ...

http://www.siibusinessproducts.com/sdk/index.html

This describes the SDK for printers I have used for years with excellent results, and it's just like using any API you have used to do Windows programming.

Many of my customers are using 9-pin Dot Matrix printers to print ID/Sale labels on standard label stock. My program sends "Old-fashioned" Epson control codes to the printer to change fonts, print text, CR, LF, go into graphics mode to print a barcode, and then a FF

If you are still specifying the labels and the printers, that will determine how you will proceed. How will these labels be used? Will the numbers which the barcode will represent be, product ID numbers or just your own ID numbers?

hth,

farrier

Post 07 Jan 2009, 09:14
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
hi there farrier,
actually, my current situation is like below:

the customer is using a local developed POS + accounting system.
and worse, it doesn't comes with software that integrated with their database to print out label/barcode.

so, the worse is, they will need to retype the item name and its unique id on the barcode printer software in order to print the barcode/label out. (double job here).

so, what i intend to do is.
worse comes to worse, i will need to do a simple software that focusing on stock control and able to print out barcode by querying the item from database, eg. sqlite / mysql.
Post 07 Jan 2009, 10:37
farrier

farrier
sleepsleep,

Perhaps something like the SmartCapture described here:

http://www.siibusinessproducts.com/products/index.html

which can "capture" data from another programs screen and transfer to the printer.

Another printer manufacturer:

http://www.zebra.com/id/zebra/na/en/index/products/printers/desktop.html

It sounds like you will be able to start from the ground floor there. What kind of label the customer wants will determine the brand and kind of printer you use. There are many. If the label will be printed only when a new item is added, can a label or report be printed at that time? If so, it may be possible to send the output to a file, and the creation of this file can be detected, then the contents of the file can be used to send data to the label printer. You could also write your own app--as you described--to access the database to print/reprint one or multiple labels at any time.

hth,

farrier

Post 07 Jan 2009, 11:22
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
sleepsleep wrote:
so, using barcode font, how many characters i should type? let us assume is 10, so if it is number, should i create a barcode with zero padded in front?

As many characters as the standard you choose to follow says it should be.
I doubt any standard will have so many zeros since most have "check digits" (checksums) and deliberately use odd/even parity patterns for error detection and correction.
You may want to check standards like the EAN-13 to see what they look like.
Post 07 Jan 2009, 11:34
Chewy509

Chewy509

Zebra Printers are really good printers (we use that at work, and sell them as the preferred printers to customers for printing labels).

Zebra's use a few different printer languages, like EPL, ZPL, etc, but they all have native support for barcode printing. If you choose to use Zebra printers, you can get the SDK's and printer language manuals at no cost from Zebra.

A word of warning, Zebra's native Windows drivers can be very problematic at times, so I recommend using 3rd party drivers for the Zebra's. The driver developed by Seagull Scientific are rock solid with the Zebras.
Post 08 Jan 2009, 00:49
Chewy509

Chewy509
sleepsleep wrote:
so, using barcode font, how many characters i should type?

That is entirely dependent on the barcode format/standard.

I now in Australia, Code 39 and Code 128 seem to be the most common.
Post 08 Jan 2009, 00:52
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
btw, any open source software like nicelabel? free...
Post 19 Jun 2009, 05:03

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: