flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Good IDE for web development?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I'm in the need for a good IDE for developing JavaScript+PHP web applications (specially interested in good support for JavaScript).

Any recommendations? (free if possible)

Thanks
Post 02 Jan 2009, 17:02
MHajduk

MHajduk
I write all "by hand" in PSPad and test the results in web browsers (FireFox and IE).

PSPad editor is powerful (manages Unicode files, for example), free and has built-in syntax highliting for many programming languages including JavaScript and PHP.

Probably it's not exactly what are you looking for but I hope that will help a bit. Wink
Post 02 Jan 2009, 20:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Looks good, I'll use it for now.

Thanks Smile
Post 02 Jan 2009, 21:02
r22

r22
Non PHP Related: Visual Studio 2008 and its Intellisense drop downs have thoroughly spoiled me.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 21:17
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Yeah I sometimes write "by hand" too, and asm only by hand. I sometimes use Visual C++ 6 IDE but personally, I just switch so often between "by hand" (notepad, TheGun (masm text editor), etc) and the IDE, it's natural. I don't think I have a difference between them, or even notice it. Smile
Post 03 Jan 2009, 22:50
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

Non PHP Related: Visual Studio 2008 and its Intellisense drop downs have thoroughly spoiled me.

Well, If I get the job I'll probably use ASPX since the site is already written in it and I don't think they will change it just because I tell them to do it. Also seems that Intellisense supports JavaScript. I'll give the Express Edition a try later (I hope this edition supports Intellisense).

Thanks
Post 03 Jan 2009, 23:12
silkodyssey

silkodyssey
Quote:
I'm in the need for a good IDE for developing JavaScript+PHP web applications (specially interested in good support for JavaScript).

You can look into netbeans and aptana. Both support php and javascript I believe. And they're free.

Post 04 Jan 2009, 01:50
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

You can look into netbeans and aptana.

Yes, I'm playing with Aptana Studio right now and I'm quite satisfied by the results so far, the "intellisense" is pretty good also (at least for JavaScript).

BTW, do you have the problem that, for example, if you try to open a PHP file but you have registered another editor on Windows Aptana opens the file with the external editor instead of itself? I have this problem with Eclipse also, if I open files that don't belong to an open project an external program is invoked to display it and I don't see how this happens. Note that I've downloaded the standalone version of Aptana so I'm not inheriting Eclipse's settings.

The workaround I'm using for now is just drag and dropping the file over Aptana and that opens the file inside the IDE (but opening it later from the "recent files" again opens it with the external program).

I have downloaded NetBeans once but I never explored it much. Looks nicer but also I feel it is slower and takes up more resources than Eclipse/Aptana. Anyway, I'll have a look at it later.

PS: For PHP support on Aptana you have to download the plug-in, you just go to Help > Software Updates > Find and Install..., then select "Search for new feature to install" and the check "Aptana: PHP Development Environment".
Post 04 Jan 2009, 02:06
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
OK, I have uninstalled my (almost) full version of NetBeans 6.1 and installed NetBeans 6.5 for PHP "only" ( http://www.netbeans.org/features/php/ ). The "intellisense" of NetBeans is even better, it not only shows you the alternatives to complete your code and browsers supporting it (which is not limited to IE and Firefox only like the Aptana I've installed), but it also shows the documentation of the item. Additionally this new version is in fact more lightweight than Aptana (probably because this time the NetBeans I've downloaded comes with way less features than the previosly installed version).

I think I'll concentrate to do the actual work now but don't hesitate to posts more suggestions! Razz
Post 04 Jan 2009, 04:32
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Well, now I have to say some negative things about NetBeans...

The intellisense sometimes loose context and thinks that everything is an array. For instance, I have a line in my code that is "points = [<?php readfile('coords.txt'); ?> ];", but then, every time I start writing anything in JS code the auto-completer suggest me things based on the array type instead of what I'm really typing. Unfortunately I can't find the minimal code to show this problem since if I remove all the sentences below then for some reason the bug is not present anymore. Also (an this is my current workaround), writing "points = <?php echo '['; readfile('coords.txt); echo ']'; ?>;" also fix the problem.

Another problem is that sometimes it detects tags imbalance when there is none. For example, I had a page that was initially considered correct by Netbeans, but after I've replaced "<i>text</i>" with "<i><?php echo 'text'; ?></i>", it started to believe that "<i>" is unmatched and that "</i>" is not closing nothing...

And the extra problem is that it does not provides JavaScript frameworks unless you are willing to work with JSP (and I don't). I can install the frameworks on the site myself to get rid of this problem of course, I'm just pointing out that it is not so built-in like Aptana.

I'm not ready to go back to Aptana yet, since despite these problems it is still comfortable to work with NetBeans so I'll have to investigate both further to know with which one I will going to "marry".
Post 05 Jan 2009, 17:20

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: