flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > The great OS debate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Borsuc wrote:

For example, can I have "device/DVD" to represent the DEVICE (e.g: DVD Writer), or can I only represent the files in Linux (and thus, the DISC itself). I want to represent the device (or slot, in USB case).
By default, that drive is labeled /dev/cdrom but I can't recall what happens when it's a DVD drive.
Quote:

Otherwise I will have to mount/unmount everytime?
Any player you use will mount/unmount it for you. If you are doing it manually then, yes, you simply 'mount /dev/cdrom /mnt' where /mnt is the directory you want everything placed in but, again, all the players handle that for you if you wish.

Remember, 'nix has a file browser just like Windows. It's no different. Double click on the DVD player and it starts playing.
Post 14 Jan 2009, 04:13
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Code:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls /dev/{cd{rw,rom},dvd,scd0} -l
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     4 2009-01-12 20:41 /dev/cdrom -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     4 2009-01-12 20:41 /dev/cdrw -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     4 2009-01-12 20:41 /dev/dvd -> scd0
brw-rw----+ 1 root root 11, 0 2009-01-12 20:40 /dev/scd0    

This was all created by udev and there are a set of rule files that defines how this has to be done (I've reached that page of the CLFS book recently ( http://cross-lfs.org/files/BOOK/1.1.0/CLFS-1.1.0-x86_64.html#ch-scripts-udev ) Razz

But don't worry, it is automatically, it is just that if you need some customization perhaps you won't find it so automatic.
Post 14 Jan 2009, 06:26
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Borsuc wrote:

Linux isn't any better. Apparently, Linux either has bling like Vista (which I despise), or a command line. No 'middle' ground for those like me which is the most important. A systematic approach, easy to view and use, not filling up your screen with senseless "cool" "glassy" effects.

I use the awesome tiling window manager, which I find quite good. It is geared towards more command line (the way I use it but its very customisable) but I tend to work faster from the bash prompt than using GUI - so I'm happy with it.

Post 14 Jan 2009, 07:07
f0dder

f0dder
revolution wrote:
Certainly one thing (among others) that bugs the hell out of me with windows is the IE integration with the kernel.
It's integrated in the operating system, not the kernel - there's a big difference.

drhowarddrfine wrote:
How about more secure OS, more secure browsing and more crash proof thrown in.
Bullshit, Firefox, bullshit. (And as for the "Firefox" part, keep in mind that IE7+ runs in sandbox mode unless you disable UAC - that adds some security as well, even though I personally still prefer Firefox).

drhowarddrfine wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
Quote:

A Windows advocate gets mesmerized by the 'bling'; the pretty blinking lights. Linux advocates want to know how it works under the hood

wat a nice piece of bull shit claimed. Very Happy
Absolutely not! Look around at forums at the comments about Windows7. What do they talk about? They talk about what it looks like. And what about the comments about Linux vs Windows. What do they talk about? The user interface, the GUI. How many talk about process and thread handling? Memory performance? etc. You'd have a tough time finding anyone coming remotely close to it.

Just last night I was looking at a thread where 3 people made a big deal of the Start button and bar.

The point of Windows 7 is focus on usability, not kernel improvements (Vista already got those - and plenty of them). Oh, and of course cutting down a bit on memory bloat that Vista introduced (it's there, but not as bad as some people who don't understand the Windows memory management system claims).

from my playing around with Win7 in vmware, I'd have to say it looks good. Memory use on a clean system is around 300 megabytes which I don't find too bad, and the UI improvements are for the better. I can see myself upgrading from XP to Win7 when it comes out.

Post 14 Jan 2009, 08:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Windows7 admittedly looks good, I can see myself moving my xp partition to windows 7 in the future too.

I can also see wiping that partition and putting Solaris on it as well Razz.

Now powershell, is that any good? Razz.
Post 14 Jan 2009, 08:11
f0dder

f0dder
Raedwulf wrote:
Windows7 admittedly looks good, I can see myself moving my xp partition to windows 7 in the future too.
Superfetch, I/O prioritization and transactional NTFS were reasons that I considered Vista - the UI enhancements and lower memory footprint are reasons I'll likely install Win7.

Raedwulf wrote:
I can also see wiping that partition and putting Solaris on it as well Razz.
I'd love to play around with ZFS. I wish that somebody would port Ext4, btrfs, Reiser, XFS and ZFS to Windows, so some realistic head-to-head benchmarks could be made between them.

Raedwulf wrote:
Now powershell, is that any good? Razz.
No idea - it's apparently pretty powerful, but I get by with cmd.exe and resort to Python when I need something heavier.

Post 14 Jan 2009, 08:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
The two reasons I even have a windows partition at the moment:
1.) I play games Razz - at times competitively
2.) I test windows demos and use windows as a testbed at times. (VM would suffice for this, especially now as virtualbox has opengl support, but sometimes VMs aren't particularly good if you're benchmarking something)

Win7 would still satisfy those needs ^^.

Pretty much everything else I need is in my linux distro hehe Razz.
Post 14 Jan 2009, 08:57
Borsuc

Borsuc
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Remember, 'nix has a file browser just like Windows. It's no different. Double click on the DVD player and it starts playing.
Yeah but what if it contains data that I want to browse? I have to go into dev/CDROM, or mount it beforehand?

If it's the former, it'll be easy for me Smile

Win7 sounds good cause it is faster and less bloated than Vista but it still has that crappy bling from Vista ("glassy" effect). Geez it's like everything (buttons, boxes, selections) is twice the size FOR STUPID EFFECTS -- and they talk about improving functionality Evil or Very Mad

Just look at the calculator! Mad

Post 14 Jan 2009, 21:17
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
f0dder wrote:

drhowarddrfine wrote:
Bullshit, Firefox, bullshit. (And as for the "Firefox" part, keep in mind that IE7+ runs in sandbox mode unless you disable UAC - that adds some security as well, even though I personally still prefer Firefox).
See webdevout.com. IE has 3x more vulnerabilities than FF and as many vulnerabilities as all other web browsers added together. Plus security people, such as Bruce Scheier, still advise not to use IE.

drhowarddrfine wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
Quote:

A Windows advocate gets mesmerized by the 'bling'; the pretty blinking lights. Linux advocates want to know how it works under the hood

Absolutely not! Look around at forums at the comments about Windows7. What do they talk about? They talk about what it looks like.
That's what I said. Why are you saying it's BS if you agree with me?
Post 14 Jan 2009, 22:05
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Borsuc wrote:
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Yeah but what if it contains data that I want to browse? I have to go into dev/CDROM, or mount it beforehand?
Like I said, it's the same. Install wubi and try it.
Post 14 Jan 2009, 22:08
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
drhowarddrfine wrote:
drhowarddrfine wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely not! Look around at forums at the comments about Windows7. What do they talk about? They talk about what it looks like.
Are you talking to yourself. Of course that is what you said, because you said it.Shocked Confused Wink
Post 14 Jan 2009, 22:10
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
drhowarddrfine wrote:
It's a pity that all these tools for Linux, that Windows users think are standard, don't come pre-installed as part of the package when people install the Linux.

So many options, which to choose Confused
Post 14 Jan 2009, 22:13
f0dder

f0dder
drhowarddrfine wrote:
f0dder wrote:

drhowarddrfine wrote:
See webdevout.com. IE has 3x more vulnerabilities than FF and as many vulnerabilities as all other web browsers added together. Plus security people, such as Bruce Scheier, still advise not to use IE.
And I'm not questinoning that - the two bullshits were related to "more secure OS" and "more crash proof" - firefox was the reponse to "more secure browsing". As mentioned before, though, Vista with UAC enabled results in IE7+ running in sandbox mode, which mitigates a lot of the IE exploits. I still prefer firefox for a lot of reasons, though (even if it's not exactly a security fortress - it has it's own share of vulnerabilities. Most aren't remote code execution, though).

Btw, I'm wondering if the IE sandbox mode might in some circumstances actually be safer than a default FF install - lots of the web exploits these days happen through Flash or JAVA, so if you've got either of those installed and aren't running noscript, your firefox will be wide open... I don't know enough about the IE sandbox to say whether it blocks those flash/java attacks though, but since those plugins run as threads within IE rather than separate processes, it might?

Borsuc wrote:
Win7 sounds good cause it is faster and less bloated than Vista but it still has that crappy bling from Vista ("glassy" effect). Geez it's like everything (buttons, boxes, selections) is twice the size FOR STUPID EFFECTS -- and they talk about improving functionality Evil or Very Mad

Just look at the calculator! Mad
I actually don't really mind those effects (although I wish MS would let everybody make custom skins, instead of requring them to be signed - I really like the Clearlooks skin, and use that under XP64 with a patched uxtheme.dll). The "fancyness" of the Vista/Win7 Aero UI is relatively subtle, but useful: the live app previews on alt+tab and the process bar is nice, and the "make other windows transparent" on Win7 could turn out to be very useful if you have a lot of windows running.

You're right that the calculator looks a bit fancy with all that gradient color stuff (I'm not a fan of that appearing everywhere - it's unnecessary, and make screenshots compress worse in .png), but the buttons aren't any bigger than on XP (result display is, though, and hex/dec/oct/bin and q/d/w/byte group boxes take up a bit more space too because they're laid out vertically. Not a big deal imho.) Oh, and while I think it's an OK idea to have different "modes" it can work in, I'd ideally want to run scientific+programmer modes together.

Compiz on linux is cute and entertaining, but it's so over the top that I've always ended up turning off most of the effects after toying with it for a while... and the versions I've tried have been relatively unstable (situation is probably a lot better nowadays, though).

Post 14 Jan 2009, 23:32
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
drhowarddrfine wrote:
drhowarddrfine wrote:
sleepsleep wrote:
Quote:

Are you talking to yourself. Of course that is what you said, because you said it.Shocked Confused Wink
I know! He was agreeing with what I said but called it BS. I didn't deny saying it!
Post 15 Jan 2009, 00:59
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
drhowarddrfine wrote:
It's a pity that all these tools for Linux, that Windows users think are standard, don't come pre-installed as part of the package when people install the Linux.

So many options, which to choose Confused
Don't know what you mean. Such as?
Post 15 Jan 2009, 01:00
dosin

dosin
wubi -I Will give a try on my windows XP OS and see how it goes..

Quote:

Corrupted NTFS filesystem
All reported cases of damaged filesystems so far were from people that hard rebooted (pulling the plug).

When you hard reboot, you can always damage your filesystem whether you use wubi or not. What happens is that new users sometimes get stacked with wubi/ubuntu and since they do not know what to do they tend to hard-reboot more often than necessary. Sometimes they get lucky, sometimes they do not. Since wubi sits on top of ntfs of course when they do not get lucky, ntfs gets corrupted. Sometimes people blame Wubi for that even though a quick googling will show you that there are tons of people experiencing ntfs corruption without having ever used wubi or ntfs-3g (and a full software industry lurking on that...), most of them after a hard reboot...

If ntfs filesystem gets corrupted you have to run chkdsk /r from the windows recovery console on the Windows CD (or other recovery CD available on the web) or in the msdos console (if you can boot into Windows). At the moment there is no fsck for ntfs on the Linux side, otherwise it would be possible to fix errors automatically within Linux itself, as it happens for other filesystems, without having to rely on Windows tools.

Best advise is to simply avoid hard rebooting. Whatever the OS.

Post 15 Jan 2009, 01:50
sinsi

sinsi
Sorry, couldn't resist this one...
US woman says Ubuntu can't access internet
Post 15 Jan 2009, 06:14
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
sinsi, exactly what I've been saying! I love linux but for someone with little knowledge of computers just dies a horrible death when they see a linux machine.
Especially catch 22, how do you find a solution to a problem using Google when you don't know how to access the internet lmao Very Happy.
Post 15 Jan 2009, 06:43
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Raedwulf wrote:
I love linux but for someone with little knowledge of computers just dies a horrible death when they see a linux machine.
The problem with that story is not Linux but that the woman was trying to make Linux be Windows. She tried to install two Windows programs on Linux and couldn't understand why they didn't work. I guess if she tried to install Mac programs it would be Linux's fault, too.

The story does not explain how she wound up ordering a system with Ubuntu installed in the first place. It illustrates what I've been saying all along. People who have the most issues with Linux are those who try and make it be Windows. These are the same people who might not expect Macs to act like Windows but that's OK.
Post 15 Jan 2009, 14:24
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Raedwulf wrote:
I love linux but for someone with little knowledge of computers just dies a horrible death when they see a linux machine.
The problem with that story is not Linux but that the woman was trying to make Linux be Windows. She tried to install two Windows programs on Linux and couldn't understand why they didn't work. I guess if she tried to install Mac programs it would be Linux's fault, too.

The story does not explain how she wound up ordering a system with Ubuntu installed in the first place. It illustrates what I've been saying all along. People who have the most issues with Linux are those who try and make it be Windows. These are the same people who might not expect Macs to act like Windows but that's OK.

Yea, thats where there is a problem and why wine may have helped (this is a bad instance though, it would have worked with Word but probably not with whatever Verizon wanted to give her).
But this is the instance where not so bright (or perhaps ones that expect everything on a silver platter) people tend to be sucked into Windows, because Windows stuff is all on silver platters.

There are a lot of these sort of folk still around, they can't do things on windows, let alone if you give them Linux. I have many on my IM contact lists where I could ask extract a file from the zip file to this directory.

The first question is almost always:
How to I extract from a zip file? (If it isn't what is a zip file!)

Second is:
What is a directory? (Most are satisfied with the word "folder")

Third is:
How do I do that?

Their world of their computer contains a littered desktop (bad influence from microsoft.... why the hell they introduced the concept of dropping things on the desktop, I'll never know).

Rant vs Desktop File Management:
1.) Encourages poor management of files.
2.) Hides away the rest of the filesystem from poor users.
3.) Cluttering is common on the desktop.

Post 15 Jan 2009, 17:43

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: