flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > The great OS debate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
cod3b453 wrote:
Personally, I only like openSuSE on the unix side of things, having tried most big name distros in both the linux and BSD world only to be left disappointed.
How so? I run FreeBSD exclusively.
Quote:

I like the power of the unix terminal, it certainly has had its uses for me, however, I can't take it seriously as a target platform for development because there's no real API, even Java is 50/50.
That doesn't make any sense. What do you mean?
Quote:

Windows is a lot nicer to develop on, I also prefer the windows versions of various editors over the linux equivalent.
Such as? Visual Studio is nice but it can't beat emacs. vi is better than anything on Windows though you can run vi on Windows, too. For that matter, so can emacs.
Post 24 Aug 2009, 00:23
cod3b453

cod3b453
This is just my opinion from my experience...but hey...

Personally, I found configuring FreeBSD a pain, first just getting gdm to start properly and then getting it to set the right display mode, which it failed to do; it installed with no display mode config file and nothing I did made any difference, so I wasn't going to waste any more time on it.

The second sentence was poorly constructed but what I was trying to say was "I like the things one can do with the unix terminal" and "for application development I've not found anything that isn't display manager specific". My point about Java, was that is the closest I've come across but even that throws random exceptions or just hangs for no good reason on different managers from time to time.

Yes, VS is nice sometimes but I was refering to Office, a particular windows only notepad clone and some image editing stuff. As for vi, that belongs in the terminal bit above; I'm not an emacs person. Let's not forget fasm for it's vertical select Cool
Post 24 Aug 2009, 01:07
Azu

Azu
drhowarddrfine wrote:
All Linux distros use the same kernel.
Exactly. Meaning that none of them will be alienated by the success of the others.
Post 24 Aug 2009, 03:15
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
masonswanson

masonswanson
revolution wrote:
What I find wrong with Linux:
  • Too much choice
  • No central point of control
  • Too little market penetration
  • Newbies are scared to touch it (Why?)
  • Bad reputation for availability of drivers
  • Unfriendly help when something goes wrong
  • Very steep learning curve

What I find wrong with Windows:
  • Registry is an enigma
  • Too many programs want to protect themselves from user hacking/copying
  • Too popular a target for viruses
  • Legacy support hampers a lot of things
  • Forced to upgrade every few years
  • DRM

HHHHAAAAA!!!!!Twisted Evil Forced To Upgrade Every Few Years?Confused Then Why, When I Update A Windows System To Fix The Latest Gigantic Hole In Security, My Computer Is Automatically Updated Without My Explicit Consent? Actually I Want To Know How Microsoft Can Get Away With Invading The Privacy Of Their Users, Oh Yea Thats Right Because They Have The Most Costituents Voting For Them
Post 01 Nov 2010, 10:05
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Tyler

Tyler
When you install Windows, it asks you if you want it to install updates automatically/consent/manually, you, apparently, selected automatically. There's a setting somewhere to change it, but I haven't booted into Windows in months, so idk where...
Post 01 Nov 2010, 23:53
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
The setting for auto updates is in the control panel. Strangely it is labelled "Automatic Updates".
Post 02 Nov 2010, 00:03
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: