flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > who really use other OS as daily OS beside windows

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dosin

dosin
Though I prob will catch hell from the linux community...

http://www.linspire.com/ is a simpler verson of linux...

Simular to a windows interface- Easy to use!
Post 02 Jan 2009, 01:42
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
MichaelH wrote:
... virtualBox ... virtualBox ... virtualBox ... virtualBox ... virtualBox ...
I think there is some sort of message there, but I can't quite work out what it is. Wink
Post 02 Jan 2009, 01:42
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
I have 10 boxes I run in my home office. 8 run FreeBSD, one Linux and one Windows (for testing web sites only). Other than the one box, I have been Windows-less for about two years. The only purpose of the Linux box is because the one outside host I use runs Linux. Everything else I use FreeBSD for, including my laptop.

I own copies of some Windows programs, like Visual Studio, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. but instead I use Gimp, Inkscape, vim/emacs, etc. There is nothing I did on Windows that I can't do on BSD/Linux. The only problem we have is with Flash player in a browser (newer versions don't work in fbsd and in linux occasionally hang) but that's Adobe's fault, not the OS.

Installing FreeBSD is NOT difficult at all and you can be up and running in 10 minutes, iirc. Have not had to reinstall any of the OSes in a while.

I have no need for Windows anymore.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine on 02 Jan 2009, 02:04; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Jan 2009, 01:47
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Borsuc wrote:
The problem with me migrating to Linux are many.
First is the fact that I have no clue about it and how it works or the GUI it uses (I can't live without Total Commander, not sure if it's a Linux version available) and all the distro's out there do nothing but to confuse me.
Not sure what total commander is but you probably wouldn't need it. Linux has that disadvantage of too much choice. FreeBSD is my preferred platform but not just for that reason.
Quote:

Second would be the COMPATIBILITY. Not just with drivers, but with the many programs I have
I never concern myself that BSD/Linux programs won't run on Windows so you shouldn't concern yourself with running Windows programs on Linux (or Macs either). The programs you show DO run with Wine though I never use it myself. You can look at their web site to see what does and doesn't work.

Most likely you will find you don't need a $650 copy of Photoshop with all the tools you never use and The Gimp does everything you used with Photoshop and just as well. My business and the artists I work with use Gimp exclusively and has never yearned for PS. The artists who do supply me with stuff from PS, their work imports without problems into The Gimp.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 01:58
MichaelH

MichaelH
revolution wrote:
MichaelH wrote:
... virtualBox ... virtualBox ... virtualBox ... virtualBox ... virtualBox ...
I think there is some sort of message there, but I can't quite work out what it is. Wink

Actually if I was to really tell you the message I'm trying to get across it would be this ...... windows is dead.

Sadly however even in this thread there is a lot of ignorance about non Windows OS i.e windows is brilliant and everything else is not. So I thought maybe if I went on about virtualBox at least some of the windows die hards might at least try something different. I figure however there's little more chance people will install virtual box than install a non Windows OS to their hard drives ...... but at least I'm trying to motivate people ..... how about helping!!!!
Post 02 Jan 2009, 02:03
dosin

dosin
Quote:
I'm also including BIG ones like 3DS Max and Photoshop etc

If you use 3DS Max and thinking of Linux - here is the alternative:

http://www.blender3d.org/

Last edited by dosin on 02 Jan 2009, 02:29; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Jan 2009, 02:14
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
You can select any window manager you want, too.
And of course there's Fuzion
Post 02 Jan 2009, 02:19
revolution

revolution
MichaelH: Sure, Windows is not perfect, not even close (Linux is not perfect either, not even close). But sometimes we get stuck with Windows (for many different reasons, one I mentioned above).

But, just the same, I don't recommend that Sally Typist runs Linux for her work. Because I don't have the time to train/coach her and also do the OS support for upgrades etc. It is far easier for me to buy her Windows and let her call the MS helpline (that's what we paid for) if she has a problem.

Until such a time when Linux (or whatever free OS) can get a helpline in operation then I think all the Sally Typist's in the world will continue to use paid OSes (Window, Leopard etc.).

Support is what is lacking for Linux. The average Joe/Jane Blogger needs support and wants support, but they can't find it in a form that they understand. The Linux stuff is just too inaccessible for them. They get scared. How to solve that? How to make the average person feel comfortable about it?
Post 02 Jan 2009, 02:26
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
MichaelH wrote:

I find with Ext2IFS_1_11a.exe installed on windows -

http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

This one and the other more or less popular Windows IFS ext2 driver for some reason are not able to read my Debian partitions Confused It used to work great when I was using Ubuntu but now I don't know what is happening. Perhaps I screwed up the partition tables some day and I didn't notice it because Debian is still working. Whatever the reason is, both IFS drivers don't recognize the partitions Sad

Could you create a big (no least than 32 GB) file on a NTFS and tell us if you can do that successfully? Perhaps it is Debian fault what happened to me (the distro seems to not being maintained so well ultimately).
Post 02 Jan 2009, 02:37
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
I don't recommend that Sally Typist runs Linux for her work. Because I don't have the time to train/coach her
Why would you? OpenOffice, Firefox and Thunderbird all work the same as in Windows.
Quote:
and also do the OS support for upgrades etc.
On Ubuntu, there is an upgrade button at the top that lights up when upgrades are available. You click it to upgrade.
Quote:
It is far easier for me to buy her Windows and let her call the MS helpline (that's what we paid for) if she has a problem.
Paid support is available for many Linux distributions also.
Quote:

Until such a time when Linux (or whatever free OS) can get a helpline in operation then I think all the Sally Typist's in the world will continue to use paid OSes (Window, Leopard etc.).
That day came long ago.
Quote:
Support is what is lacking for Linux. The average Joe/Jane Blogger needs support and wants support, but they can't find it in a form that they understand.
The problem with that is, while the "support" on forums may be more understandable it's also less helpful. On forums people will say "Go to start->control panel->system->, is this box checked?" and all that and most of the time the reply is rather inane. If you're running Linux you might still get a "check the obvious gui box first" answer.

In Windows, if it doesn't fix the problem then you're stuck because then you may have to get into the registry. If you have to get into the registry then it's no different than having to edit conf files in Linux. Except if you screw up a conf file, you can recover easy enough but screw up the registry and you can be flat out screwed.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine on 02 Jan 2009, 02:50; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Jan 2009, 02:46
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
LocoDelAssembly wrote:

Perhaps it is Debian fault what happened to me (the distro seems to not being maintained so well ultimately).
When pigs fly.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 02:48
sinsi

sinsi
I currently triple boot xp/xp64/ubuntu and use 98/nt4/2000 with vmware in xp (my main OS) - all for development (well, linux in the future maybe).
Ubuntu is there because I read all the time how linux is so great and wanted to see (borsuc, I sympathise, but give it a go) but I am usually lost - can't even install an nvidia driver heh heh.
And, as a few people here would, I boot my own OS now and then.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 02:52
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
The driver should have been detected and installed automatically. It's probably there but you may have to turn it on under Preferences or Admin ->Drivers. It's a nvidia thing.

Ubuntu is an easy way to get into Linux but I see too many people think Ubuntu represents all that is Linux.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 04:32
r22

r22
I like the concept/idea of Linux, but I don't have time to use it.
(
-Donwload ISO,
-burn it,
-install it,
-learn what CHOD and/or every other usefull but ambiguously named command means and does
)

I like XP64, although CACL and MMC are fairly ambiguous.

Last edited by r22 on 02 Jan 2009, 13:55; edited 1 time in total
Post 02 Jan 2009, 04:38
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
What's the difference with Windows? Install it, learn what every command means and does. Same thing. Except you pay for the privilege.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 04:45
MichaelH

MichaelH
LocoDelAssembly wrote:

Could you create a big (no least than 32 GB) file on a NTFS and tell us if you can do that successfully?

Using what program? Do you mean a sparse file? If so I wouldn't think that is implimented in the IFS ext2 driver .... or is it?

revolution wrote:

But, just the same, I don't recommend that Sally Typist runs Linux for her work.

Why? Are you afraid she'll actually learn how to use and support her own PC and you'll be out of a job?

revolution wrote:

Because I don't have the time to train/coach her and also do the OS support for upgrades etc.

Give her the admin password for her pc, afterall if she stuffs up, it's all free software and she'll actually learn something.

As drhowarddrfine has noted updates are simple, you don't need to employ IT staff to do such simple tasks, just give all users their own admin password so they can look after their own PC .... the old M$ ways of doing things are long over, get with the trend.

revolution wrote:

It is far easier for me to buy her Windows and let her call the MS helpline (that's what we paid for) if she has a problem.

Clearly you've never phone for MS helpline! The fact your company still pays M$ for help astounds me.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 04:50
sinsi

sinsi
Quote:
Ubuntu is an easy way to get into Linux but I see too many people think Ubuntu represents all that is Linux.

How do you mean? I downloaded it because it is part of the free stuff our ISP mirrors. There are so many, which do you pick?
Quote:
What's the difference with Windows? Install it, learn what every command means and does. Same thing. Except you pay for the privilege.

It's all about prior knowledge, I think. Pretty much everyone has had some exposure to Windows.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 04:56
revolution

revolution
MichaelH wrote:
Why? Are you afraid she'll actually learn how to use and support her own PC and you'll be out of a job?
Hehe, quite the opposite, I would be really happy if that were the case. What I am afraid of is that Sally Typist doesn't want to learn to support herself and gives me an extra job.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 04:58
sinsi

sinsi
Quote:
Give her the admin password for her pc, afterall if she stuffs up, it's all free software and she'll actually learn something.

She's a typist, she types letters, probably all day. She doesn't have time to learn anything but msword.
If she stuffs things up she doesn't type.

You've never worked in an office?
Post 02 Jan 2009, 05:00
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#filecreate

But despite the fact I'm using Debian testing, the update wasn't there and my Debian was not able to create the file so I had to boot Windows again to create a zero byte file and then go back to Debian to copy the 30 GB hard disk onto that zero bytes file.

Seems to be that there are no comments about the other problem I had, it wasn't fixed even creating a zero byte file first. When I've tried to create a tar file, there was a point in which a "operation not permited" error was triggered making impossible to grow the file more. The difference with this second problem was that the NTFS partition already contained files (but there was a lot of free space ofc), while in the other case the partition was empty (except of the "System Volume Information" hidden directory).

I did all this at the beginning of December so they had at least a month to apply the update (and they still don't apply nothing even in the unstable release http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/n/ntfs-3g/ntfs-3g_1.2531-1.1/changelog ).

Pigs don't fly but seems things are not perfect anyway.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 05:14

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: