flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > who really use other OS as daily OS beside windows

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Borsuc

Borsuc
Nah, I got used to that sarcasm from other forums Wink
Post 16 Jan 2009, 16:21
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
"Sarcasm is the wit of the uneducated". And, yes I am very uneducated. Ah, the bliss of ignorance. Wink
Post 19 Jan 2009, 10:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
revolution: yep, reducing load on single servers is my main argument as to why the distributions mirrors ought to also serve via torrents. As it is now, linux-iso torrents are pretty much useless.

LocoDelAssembly: sorry to hear that net access is that bad in your country - we're pretty spoiled here in Denmark, even if a lot less so than those insane Swedes. And I certainly don't hope this is going to change, it would suck being bandwidth-throttled or having to go back to pay-per-megabyte or pay-per-minute as in the old modem days.

Borsuc: bytes, not bits - I started with a 4096/256kbit (which had 512 up, btw, dunno if ISP messed up or what Razz), and the ISP has been increasing capacity for the same cost with ~6-month intervals. I'm now on 20/2mbit, and when I hit a decent HTTP linux distro mirror I can get around 2mbyte/s... whereas their torrents go much slower (seems that only private individuals with limited bandwidth are part of that network, which is a shame).

drhowarddrfine: use a text editor when composing replys, fasmboard times out pretty often while replying. And for some reason, phpBB based board (opposed to SMF) loses the reply-field text when using your browser's "back" button Sad. Nice excuse for not having anything sensible to say, anyway.

MichaelH: I used to have direct HtmlHelp (v1, .chm files) integration in NP++ via a plugin I made, but I never got around to updating it for v2 (SDK wasn't available some years ago, and didn't bother looking recently since i mostly use MSDN from VS anyway). Btw, you might want to check out H2 Viewer, it's more lightweight than the horrible dexplore.

PS: the windows filesystem layout isn't perfect, but at least you can fetch relevant paths from the registry. What can you do (outside of compile-time configure scripts) on ux, where there's a lot of different places to put things? And how would you programmtically add startup services etc? (there's also a bunch of different ways to handle those).
Post 19 Jan 2009, 18:03
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
f0dder wrote:
What can you do (outside of compile-time configure scripts) on ux, where there's a lot of different places to put things? And how would you programmtically add startup services etc? (there's also a bunch of different ways to handle those).
Talk about spewing nonsense. Oops. Sorry. Here the word is Bullshit.
Post 19 Jan 2009, 18:09
f0dder

f0dder
/bin vs /usr/bin vs /usr/local/bin (et cetera).

For startup scripts, things are very messy between distributions... some include a /etc/init.d folder , some don't. Some depend on a big monolithic /etc/rc.conf file. Some have /etc/rc.d , some have /etc/rc.runlevel. And instead of having a single coherent service manager, each distribution has their own kludgy way depending on shell scripts...

It might surprise you, but I've use quite a different number of linux distributions, and I've been running FreeBSD as well. Started with RedHat 5.1 back in ~98, and currently I'm with gentoo. Just because I don't believe in linux for the desktop doesn't mean I'm not using it for other purposes...
Post 19 Jan 2009, 18:41
Borsuc

Borsuc
f0dder wrote:
Borsuc: bytes, not bits - I started with a 4096/256kbit (which had 512 up, btw, dunno if ISP messed up or what Razz), and the ISP has been increasing capacity for the same cost with ~6-month intervals. I'm now on 20/2mbit, and when I hit a decent HTTP linux distro mirror I can get around 2mbyte/s... whereas their torrents go much slower (seems that only private individuals with limited bandwidth are part of that network, which is a shame).
That's not bad at all. Mind you, I've got a 1 MB (byte) per second connection as well but rapidshare stuff goes capped at 100KB/s and it feels much slower (probably around 30 KB/s because it pauses frequently?), and I can live with that, even when downloading BIG stuff (> 2 GB) Razz

(also I've got unlimited bandwidth Razz)

Post 19 Jan 2009, 21:40
f0dder

f0dder
Obviously some webservers throttle traffic - which sucks. If I need to grab something big files through http/ftp, I tend to use multi-connection download managers. This sometimes helps a bit Smile

But I was talking about torrents, where you connect to a lot of different clients, and thus have the possibility of utilizing your line speed fully. And if the various distro mirrors would run torrent clients, they could distribute their load more evenly instead of being hammered...
Post 19 Jan 2009, 21:59
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I suppose I have the best bandwidth ever then, ~65KiBytes/s down, ~12 KiBytes/s up. (Line is synchronized at 608 kbps up / 128 kbps down and seems to not be any limit set because I'm not experiencing limitation like downloading at 54 KiB/s maximum anymore).

Bandwidth is unlimited but there was an attempt of setting a 4 GB limit by Telecom some years ago at the ADSL level (so no matter what ISP you chose you would always pay for this because here the copper pair can't be leased by your ISP), but fortunately was never imposed (though my ISP which is owned by the word wide evil Telefonica offered for some time a 1 GB plan that some people purchased making them paying always much more than a fixed price plan). And yes, there is no typo, 4 GB and 1 GB are correctly typed, and the worst of all is that the latter service really existed with 256 kbps download speed so if you are not careful you could pass the limit quite easily within just one day of the 30/29 remaining... Worst of all is that it was very easy to pay more than a fixed plan because every megabyte in excess wasn't so cheap. This apparently violated some laws in Argentina but well, a decent government is required to have them applied...
Post 19 Jan 2009, 22:16
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
f0dder wrote:
Yes. The locations are known, just like Windows.
Quote:

For startup scripts, things are very messy between distributions... some include a /etc/init.d folder , some don't...
I will agree with you here and you show part of the reason I don't use Linux.

In the post I mentioned, that never got posted, I talked of a scene from Seinfeld where Kramer got an executive position with a company just by walking in the door and hanging around. Then, one day, Kramer has to turn in a report to his "boss":

Boss: I was looking over this report and, quite frankly, I can't make heads of tails out of it.
Kramer: Well, I can take it home and edit it.
Boss: I don't think that's the problem. It looks like it's written by someone who doesn't know what he's doing.
Kramer: Well, I've never done this before.
Boss: And that's the reason I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you go.
Kramer: But I don't really even work here.
Boss: That's what makes this so difficult.

That's my position with Linux. Though I'll defend it, I don't really use it myself. FreeBSD is my OS.
Post 19 Jan 2009, 22:21
f0dder

f0dder
drhowarddrfine wrote:
f0dder wrote:
Yes. The locations are known, just like Windows.
Except there doesn't seem to be a way of figuring out where to put stuff - not even when compiling from source:some autoconf scripts default to one location, some to other - so you have to override manually to ensure consistency. This isn't a big problem if you only get software form your distro repositories, but it's a problem for binary-only software...

For Windows, at least there's pretty clear guidelines to what you should use (lots of companies violate that, though), as well as standardized ways to query the folders (which means you can put user settings, program files etc. pretty much wherever you want to. You wan X:\home instead of "%SystemDrive%\Documents And Settings"? No problem).

Post 19 Jan 2009, 22:29
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

You wan X:\home instead of "%SystemDrive%\Documents And Settings"? No problem).

Do you have some link about how to do that? Is it possible with an existing account? (or is changing location and then moving from old location to new safe enough?)
Post 19 Jan 2009, 22:38
f0dder

f0dder
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Quote:

You wan X:\home instead of "%SystemDrive%\Documents And Settings"? No problem).

Do you have some link about how to do that? Is it possible with an existing account? (or is changing location and then moving from old location to new safe enough?)
It's safest to do from an nLited install medium, I'm not sure how feasible it is on an already installed system (though it should be possible with a WinPE/whatever CD). Yup, a bit more work than *u*x where you could simply move the folder and do a symlink (you *can* do that under NT, using NTFS junctions, but still not from a running system).

Post 19 Jan 2009, 22:49
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Ah Sad Well, thanks anyway.

What I was really looking for was the equivalent of mounting /home on a separate partition but seems that it has to be solved in the same way, right?
Post 19 Jan 2009, 23:15
Borsuc

Borsuc
You know what I really hate?
"special" folders like that "Documents and Settings", "Program Files", and even in *nix it seems there are (apart from "dev" obviously).

WHY?? I am more than capable of organizing it myself without hassle and stupid deviations or whatever stupid folder tree they use.

good to know at least nLite can rename it, even though renaming ain't the best solution.

Post 20 Jan 2009, 00:53
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Borsuc wrote:
You know what I really hate?
"special" folders like that "Documents and Settings", "Program Files", and even in *nix it seems there are (apart from "dev" obviously).

WHY?? I am more than capable of organizing it myself without hassle and stupid deviations or whatever stupid folder tree they use.

good to know at least nLite can rename it, even though renaming ain't the best solution.
System and program folders MUST be put in certain locations so the system can find them. Otherwise, in 'nix you can put anything anywhere in the user area you want and name it what you want.
Post 20 Jan 2009, 04:10
f0dder

f0dder
That's one of the thing I agree with drhowarddrfine on Smile - you do need a bunch of "standard locations". Problem with *u*x is that the various systems (and the sub-distros of some systems) have "many different standards to choose from", and afaik no programmatic way (at least no clean non-heuristic way) to detect.

But you surely do need standard locations for stuff like core OS files, user data area, system settings and applications etc. IMHO neither Windows nor *u*x gets it "just right", but at least Windows has the registry where you can look up stuff centrally, and which has a unified format. (Yes, there are some problems with the registry and some applications abuse it, but I much prefer it to config files each with their own custom format).
Post 20 Jan 2009, 05:56
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

but I much prefer it to config files each with their own custom format).

i agree with this too. one centralized location to do all this.
the application exposes those crucial modifications on its application, but for seldom use/ programmer options, they put it into registry. imo, that is better.

but i suggest windows/ any other os to use sqlite or other mini database to store all those things.

each application got its own table, so they just play on their own table.
Post 20 Jan 2009, 06:54
f0dder

f0dder
IMHO the registry is more suitable for config than a SQL database - speed as well as structure. But you could use a hive file for each user&application pair if you wanted... not sure whether I think that's a good idea, though. But it could be done Smile
Post 20 Jan 2009, 07:03
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
@LocoDelAssembly:

My Documents' "Properties" > "Target" tab for changing the current user's "My Documents" directory location.

For the "Documents and Settings" directory itself, change "ProfilesDirectory" str in "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" and the "ProfileImagePath" str in the subkeys.

N.B. I never tested these.
Post 20 Jan 2009, 09:51
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Thanks ManOfSteel, perhaps I'll try that except for the registry part Razz

I'm very upset about this, how it is possible that you cannot do this in some sane way? Is so impossible someone wanting to have the documents and settings on a separate and mirrored partition?
Post 20 Jan 2009, 14:14

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: