flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > who really use other OS as daily OS beside windows

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i am really curious,

there are lots of expert programmers in this board (at least i consider them expert)

what OS do you really rely upon and use daily and enjoy it beside windows OS.

well, i know, some people consider / perceive windows user as lamer or ... etc. but who care, so, please tell me, what OS you really use daily, like surfing net, emel, write document, hacking it from time to time, and etc jobs.
Post 01 Jan 2009, 14:51
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Windows. All my customers use it so I have to know it also.
Post 01 Jan 2009, 15:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
only windows, too
Post 01 Jan 2009, 15:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Windows for several years, but it's about time for me to try another - again. Going to give BSD a go - first in a VM and then migrate to Windows in a VM if it works out. I remain hopeful.
Post 01 Jan 2009, 17:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
If you mean FreeBSD take in mind that there is no AMD64 driver yet, of the unices OSes, only Solaris and Linux have 64-bit drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html

BTW, it is around four years now the FreeBSD community is waiting for the 64-bit driver, why it is taking so long???
Post 01 Jan 2009, 18:18
Borsuc

Borsuc
The problem with me migrating to Linux are many.
First is the fact that I have no clue about it and how it works or the GUI it uses (I can't live without Total Commander, not sure if it's a Linux version available) and all the distro's out there do nothing but to confuse me.

Second would be the COMPATIBILITY. Not just with drivers, but with the many programs I have -- I've just got too many and I'm afraid if they won't run. I heard about "wine" that is supposed to run Windows apps in Linux, but I'm talking about installers etc... which are windows-specific, or not?

I'm also including BIG ones like 3DS Max and Photoshop etc...

anyone can shed some light regarding compatibility? Sad

Post 01 Jan 2009, 18:47
dosin

dosin
I use: WinXP / Vista 64
Linux: RedHat...
I have an old laptop with FreeBSD on it.....
Post 01 Jan 2009, 18:59
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Bah, FreeBSD is going to be a bitch from the get-go. Hmm...I'll resist scratching that resolution off for now - maybe wait to Feb.1 to reject the idea (self torture).

Someone got me some penguin pajamas for x-mas, so I'm feeling closer to linux compatible. Very Happy
Post 01 Jan 2009, 20:53
asmcoder

asmcoder
[content deleted]

Last edited by asmcoder on 14 Aug 2009, 14:54; edited 1 time in total
Post 01 Jan 2009, 21:17
MichaelH

MichaelH
I've been using Ubuntu64 in virtualBox running on a vista host for a while now and have come to like Ubuntu a whole lot now I understand how things work. I plan to migrate to linux as the host this year and only use windows in virtualBox for development purposes. As more people come to realize just how brilliant virtualBox is and get the hang of Linux, maybe I can delete windows all together some time in the future..... so hurry up you slackers, download virtualBox, install a non windows quest and start learning so windows can be a thing of the past!!!!!

http://www.virtualbox.org/
Post 01 Jan 2009, 21:48
edfed

edfed
windows98! no need of AV or SW
XP and vista are crap, they do not support completely the V86 mode, my favourite.
and linux isn't able to boot/reboot in less than 30 seconds.
Post 01 Jan 2009, 22:14
dosin

dosin
Quote:
FreeBSD is going to be a bitch from the get-go

Yes - it is a lot of work to install and get up and running...

Quote:
windows98!

Was good in its time... but that time is gone!

Quote:
install a non windows quest and start learning so windows can be a thing of the past!!!!!

Its a big learning curve... on the average human they do not have the time,patience, nor ability to learn it.. Some can't learn windows...

The system of the future will do everything for them! No need to think or learn.. just point and click.. or push the screen of the pretty picture of the file/app... Laughing

Sad but true!
Post 01 Jan 2009, 22:53
MichaelH

MichaelH
dosin wrote:

Its a big learning curve...

I found moving from xp to vista, a bigger learning curve than learning ubuntu linux from scratch.

Vista limits drag n drop (for security reasons) so now ubuntu has more drag n drop capability than vista (I shit you not!) Shocked

gedit is good but check this out http://www.geany.org/ ..... cross platform editor ..... working in virtualBox I sometime forget if geany is running on vista or linux.

Nautilus has nautilus scripts, wow, how powerful does that make linux but if you don't like nautilus, try http://pcmanfm.sourceforge.net/. Either one is better than vista's explorer. The list goes on and on, believe it or not many linux distros are way ahead of any windows OS. Sadly there are still too many asmcoders around who think everything in linux needs to be typed into a terminal window Sad

Like I said above, I hope people download virtualBox and install a non windows quest so at least when people comment on what OS is crap, they are actually making such statements from experience.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 00:22
Borsuc

Borsuc
I have absolutely no experience what-so-ever with Linux and I wish I had. However as a daily task, I like the system in DOS or Windows with the drive naming convention, it makes it much easier to organize (I heard Linux likes to place a lot of folders on the root of the drive? can it handle partitions?)

There's also this proggie I can't live without (for organizing/exploring my files), it's called Total Commander. Even though I heard it might work with Wine under Linux, would it still be the same? I mean with the drive conventions and all that... I doubt it.

It's sad I am just too deep into this DOS/Windows stuff... and I hate Vista, I have XP.

not to mention driver compatibility which I read is a BIG problem with Linux and Windows XP 64-bit edition too... Sad (I know, it's just what I read, I hope you prove that wrong)

and the so-many Linux distros do nothing but annoy me.
and I don't actually like command lines at all for organizing, moving files or whatever else. I only like them to use programs with command line arguments (but Total Commander can do that by itself with a small command line at the bottom!)

Post 02 Jan 2009, 00:43
MichaelH

MichaelH
Modifying a line from my post above -

Sadly there are still too many asmcoders and Borsucs around who think everything in linux needs to be typed into a terminal window.

and one more time for Borsuc -

I hope people download virtualBox and install a non windows quest so at least when people comment on what OS is crap, they are actually making such statements from experience.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 00:57
Borsuc

Borsuc
You must have misunderstood me lol, I said I have no experience with Linux what-so-ever and I didn't say anything about it being crap. I said that I read it had lots of incompatibility problems just like Windows XP 64-bit edition, lack of drivers, etc... but I acknowledge it could be a myth because it's what I read!

I would actually like to migrate to Linux cause MS are heading into the shit deposit with their current thinking of monthly pay by how much you use, and Vista already proves that they are getting crappier and crappier.

Like i said with the terminal window (command line), I don't actually enjoy organizing with it. I know you said there are explorers available for Linux better than for Vista, but they are not like Total Commander, which is one of the programs that made me really organize everything so efficiently -- that was my point.

Razz

but the multitude of distros confuse me to the very maximum Confused

Post 02 Jan 2009, 01:03
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Post 02 Jan 2009, 01:10
dosin

dosin
lol - revolution

if you like graphics and going to learn a new sys anyway.. get a MAC...
They offer more support and have drivers! Very Happy

Linux systems can read Fat file systems.. If I remember right they can read NFTS but not write to it..

Stick with XP for a while -thats what most are doing until things cool down...
Get a book on linux sys and download a bootable CD and give it a try.. That way you dont have to install anything!

Good luck with everything!
Post 02 Jan 2009, 01:17
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

Linux systems can read Fat file systems.. If I remember right they can read NFTS but not write to it..

They can write too with the ntfs-3g usermode driver at least but in my experience it sometimes fails to create a new file or directory and also to make some file grow.
Post 02 Jan 2009, 01:28
MichaelH

MichaelH
Borsuc wrote:

MS are heading into the shit deposit with their current thinking of monthly pay by how much you use, and Vista already proves that they are getting crappier and crappier

I agree, so do us a favour and set up a non windows distro with virtualBox (it doesn't have to be linux ) and see how cool the seamless integration with the host is and in a few months let us know how your non windows experience is getting on. It's very frustrating to read "I have absolutely no experience what-so-ever with .... but I'm going to make negative comments anyway" ...... it tends to happen at this forum too often.

LocoDelAssembly wrote:

They can write too with the ntfs-3g usermode driver at least but in my experience it sometimes fails to create a new file or directory and also to make some file grow.

I find with Ext2IFS_1_11a.exe installed on windows -

http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

my ext3 and ntfs partition can be used efficiently whether you're using windows or linux.

dosin wrote:

if you like graphics and going to learn a new sys anyway.. get a MAC...

I have absolutely no experience what-so-ever with MAC but ...... I hear it's total crap and graphics are second rate to other OS's ..... isn't that right Borsuc Razz

Last edited by MichaelH on 02 Jan 2009, 01:45; edited 2 times in total
Post 02 Jan 2009, 01:29

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: