flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > ECC memory motherboards?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Borsuc

Borsuc
Ok now I have a dilemma and I have no idea if the motherboard I put my eyes on can support a video card or a Core 2 Quad (despite the fact that it supports 775 Quad cores, but Xeon 3200 series).

The motherboard is called Intel S3200SHV. At the specifications, it says something like this (translated from romanian):
specifications wrote:
Slots: 1 x PCI-E x8, 1 x PCI-E x4, 2 x PCI
Graphics Interface: No
WTF?? Does it support a graphics card with PCI Express slot? (it has PCI Express, but x8 not x16 Confused). I'm confused at all these slots terms and all that. I know, it COULD be that the romanians translated or put something wrong -- but does it work? The real one I mean? (that was an online romanian shop, but the specs speak for themselves Smile)

My second question is: Does it work with Core 2 Quads? (such as the Q9550)? On some sites, it says it works with Xeons 3200 775 sockets, and doesn't say anything about Core 2s (same socket). On others, it says about Core 2s that they are supported.

Third question: does it support a sound card? It doesn't seem to come with one, but does it support a PCI sound card?

Fourth question: any alternatives? It's also kinda expensive here, and it seems to be POOR in features -- why is it so expensive? Just because it's a server motherboard? Is it more robust? or what?

At least it supports ECC memory, but that's it.

Please help. I may need a quick answer Sad
Thank you all in advance.

Post 05 Jan 2009, 20:44
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
The english Intel's product page is no less confusing: download the PDF and it indicates only the "LX" version has a 16x slot; look at the specification tab and it says "One PCI Express* x 8 with x16 connector". Maybe download the motherboard manual instead of all this marketing crap.
Post 05 Jan 2009, 23:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
I know, my question was: Can I put a video card in a x8 slot? Smile
Also, does it work with Core 2 Quads? (EDIT: yes it seems it does in the .pdf, it doesn't mention it on the .html version Confused)

Question: is there something 'wrong' with using a Core 2 Quad? Like performance hit (because this is designed for server?). I'm sorry if my questions seem annoying.

EDIT: Weird, on the .pdf it says what you said, but on the specifications (on intel's site) in html, it says to both: One PCI Express* x8 with x 16 connector Question (this is to both motherboards, 'V' and 'LX').

EDIT2: Anyone know why such server motherboards are expensive? This one doesn't even have many "features" -- is it more robust because it's designed for servers (and stability is critical)? Just curious Wink

Post 05 Jan 2009, 23:44
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

I know, my question was: Can I put a video card in a x8 slot?

If it is physically x16 wide I think you can. For example my mobo comes with SLI, but when you use two video cards both slots work at x8, not x16, but at the same time the video cards that can be used for SLI work at x16.

I guess this is like the case of using an AGP x8 card on a x2 slot, it just work (I even have a computer with such configuration that has been working for several years now Very Happy)

UPDATE: http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32125032/what-is-1-x8-pciexpres.aspx (confirmed)
Post 06 Jan 2009, 00:00
Borsuc

Borsuc
Cool thanks, I'm kinda noobish at the slots, so basically I can just put any card I want anywhere, and just plug in the monitor, and that's that? It works?

Ok stupid questions below, answer only if you like:

What if I connect another monitor to the integrated graphics? (what if it is too slow to display the same stuff (it lacks the GPU for example)? how does that work?)
Post 06 Jan 2009, 00:46
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

Cool thanks, I'm kinda noobish at the slots, so basically I can just put any card I want anywhere, and just plug in the monitor, and that's that? It works?

Apparently that is what it means, you insert a card in the slot and then the speed is negotiated. Note however that the "put any card you want anywhere" is provided it has physically the same size as the slot but it is not mandatory to have a 1-to-1 relationship between the number of lanes and the physical width of the slot (check the example in the wikipedia for the x8 wide case).

Quote:

What if I connect another monitor to the integrated graphics? (what if it is too slow to display the same stuff (it lacks the GPU for example)? how does that work?)

You will have to check the motherboard manual here, there are three possibilities here, you can't add a new video card (not very probable since what other hardware uses 16x anyway?), you can add a card but it will override the integrated one or you can use both.

Take in mind that if this is a server class motherboard then probably graphics are not a priority since servers are mostly "blind" after all so don't expect much performance of the integrated video...
Post 06 Jan 2009, 03:34
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
One of the reasons to buy a server board with xeon(s) is it's just more durable. For example, my CPUs are have a Tj Max of 100 degrees C - they idle at 66 degrees (very slow fans) - I can run them all day long at 90+ degrees! It's like a space heater, lol. I'm going to get some bigger heat sinks and just remove the fans all together. (They should be a little cooler.)

The motherboard and BIOS should support the CPU you get.

I turned the on board video off, but it's possible to use another monitor, but like Loco said it's mainly a 2D card and slow for anything else. The only reason I bought a video card was to occasionally display HD movies, and I wanted digital output for the flat screen (ladyfriend took my last CRT to the dump - oh, I hate her sometimes). The on board video was perfectly fine for office type work - all 3D and such was emulated in software.
Post 06 Jan 2009, 05:56
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
How do I get my hands on the BIOS and mobo manual without buying it?
(not familiar with intel site, but I'll try to search anyway).

I don't need a killer video card (I have a GeForce FX5200 chipest, with Galaxy card currently, and it is ok), but I know the integrated graphics suck so I'll need a vid card Confused

Btw, are Xeons more durable than Core 2s, or you were just talking about the mobo? An 'equivalent' Xeon in performance to the Q9550 (with the same LGA 775 socket on the Xeon) costs a bit more (+74$ or so but the processor is already around 400$) but if it's more durable I might as well consider it. (it also has Intel I/OAT, whatever that is, compared to the Core 2 Quad).

Post 06 Jan 2009, 14:19
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Intel's terminology is "specification" - that's the detailed information.
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/S3200SH/spec.htm

...or the biggest PDF you can find on google, usually.

The durability might just be my perception - have you ever looked at an errata page for a processor? They have all kinds of bugs and strange behavior. Companies build clusters out of these chips, though. So, Intel usually fixes all the things they can (microcode updates). Same goes for the motherboard manufactures, imho.

You are definitely doing the right thing by taking your time and doing some research - the prices will only drop. I had to buy another power supply with more single rail amperage. The video card was not in my original plan either.

BTW, I don't think this board will do. The PCI-e is only x1 with a video card - chipset limitation.
Post 06 Jan 2009, 15:49
Borsuc

Borsuc
bitRAKE wrote:
BTW, I don't think this board will do. The PCI-e is only x1 with a video card - chipset limitation.
Oh crap, I just read that as well Crying or Very sad

Thanks again for all your help. Turns out I'll have to look at another motherboard.
I guess I might never get this system up and running Confused

I just want a normal configuration (1 quad cpu, 1 mediocre pci-e vid card, 1 lan, 1 sound card (or integrated), and about that) + ECC (and unbuffered, I don't request buffered)... apparently it seems it's too much to ask for the manufacturers. Evil or Very Mad

Post 06 Jan 2009, 19:06
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Look at this Open Box special - what a deal:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131244R
Supports both ECC and non-ECC memory.
Manual, http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5E_WS_Professional/e3327_p5e_ws_professional.zip

Have you seen this page which outlines which Intel desktop motherboards support ECC?
http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009023.htm
Post 07 Jan 2009, 02:02
Borsuc

Borsuc
Thanks bitrake, I was just about going to suggest that board (I searched all day yesterday Smile)

This one too, from Gigabyte: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2736

As for that Asus board, I surely HOPE it *uses* ECC instead of just 'supporting' it. Same goes to Gigabyte (search with google gives inconsistent results, some say it works great, others that BIOS doesn't recognize ECC modules, others that it works with ECC, but memtest86+ reports "ECC: off" or "disabled", etc...)

The problem is, I can't test them, since once I buy them, I can't return them (and they are somewhat expensive, I really can't afford to play around with them Sad).

Please if anyone have some experience or you heard something that it actually *uses* it rather than just 'discarding' the data from somewhere (but still at least, working with ECC modules, instead of not booting), since it would be a total waste that way. Please share.

Thanks again for all your help thus far. Smile
Post 07 Jan 2009, 14:27

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: