flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Laptops: What is your experience?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Acer not good, Dell is good:

I have two major problem with my Acer laptop that I want to share with you here.

1) Very poor cooling means that I can't run it on my lap (!) for any length of time due to it shutting down due to thermal overheating. This means I have to either point an external fan at it just to keep it running or only ever run it 2 minutes at a time with 5 minute breaks. Very annoying!

2) I can't keep it plugged in to the mains supply in an effort to keep the battery charged because it doesn't top-up the battery after the initial charge. This means after charging and then running from the mains the battery will gradually discharge until almost no charge is left. The PSU/charge circuit just simply let's it discharge. So if there is ever a power cut the (now dead) battery lasts about 10 seconds before it shuts down. When power is restored then the full charge cycle starts over and fully charges, but the some thing happens again, after it finishes charging the battery will again gradually discharge. Note: I am not blaming the battery, this is a normal thing that all batteries do, it is the PSU/charger that is supposed to keep the battery topped-up at all times.

My Dell laptop is superb and quite the opposite. I can run it at continuous 100% load with no problems at all. The battery is always ready for action and gives me 4 hours run time if I dim the screen and pause the background tasks. Some more things: The Dell is cheaper, is faster, and has a better screen resolution.

Do you have any good/bad experiences that you would like to share?

Last edited by revolution on 17 Dec 2008, 06:06; edited 1 time in total
Post 17 Dec 2008, 04:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I get a solid six hours from my Toughbook, but it can get hot on the bottom - doesn't shutdown though. The hard drive actually has a heater on it for cold weather! Laughing I bought a spare battery and it doesn't last as long as the original one. Sad

Tried the rubber keyboard and I can't recommend it unless you peck with heavy gloves on or something. It worked to keep sawdust out of the keyboard, though. The components I've upgraded on the Toughbook use less power than the stock parts.

The Sony Picturebook I had previously was too small - tiny hands are needed to effectively use it, imho. It was great to read on, but not very productive otherwise. It was gifted to my mother - a very petite 5'2" woman.
Post 17 Dec 2008, 05:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TmX

TmX
revolution, just curious, what series of Dell you're using?
Post 17 Dec 2008, 09:49
revolution

revolution
Inspiron
Post 17 Dec 2008, 09:53
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
revolution wrote:
Very poor cooling means that I can't run it on my lap

Good cooling or not, laptops generate way too much heat, which is BAD for sperm cells:
http://www.laptop-laidback.com/8_health_problems_you_may_encounter_with_your_laptop_and_how_to_solve_them
http://www.arnab.ca/site/2007/06/18/get-a-desktop-even-good-for-ur-sperm/
Post 17 Dec 2008, 09:55
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
ManOfSteel wrote:
revolution wrote:
Very poor cooling means that I can't run it on my lap

Good cooling or not, laptops generate way too much heat, which is BAD for sperm cells:
http://www.laptop-laidback.com/8_health_problems_you_may_encounter_with_your_laptop_and_how_to_solve_them
http://www.arnab.ca/site/2007/06/18/get-a-desktop-even-good-for-ur-sperm/

Yeah, this is the known problem of "local warming". Wink
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/yossi_vardi_fights_local_warming.html
Post 17 Dec 2008, 10:27
MichaelH

MichaelH
I have an acer one intel atom 1.6 mini note. Absolutely brilliant, the way of the future..... x86 on cell phones in the near future! Pity I can't find a VIA nano in my country yet, I hear the out of order VIA nano processor kicks the intel atom arse. If that's true they must be a neat little mini note book cause my intel atom even runs virtualbox\vmware vm's with no trouble at all.
Post 17 Dec 2008, 20:46
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Old HP Omnibook: Very good and solid, lasted best of all, only CD-ROM drive fucked up after couple of years.

HP Compaq: Not good - monitor fucked up after about year, recently keyboard fucked up too, power supply cable "broke" from extensive usage, cover wear off. Battery lasted short.

Toshiba Satellite: I have weird and very bad HDD problems, sometimes access takes seconds and locks up machine completely. I don't really know what these are caused by. I can't return it for repairs because of way I acquired it. Apart from that seems solid, and would consider it second time.
Post 17 Dec 2008, 21:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Picnic

Picnic
I own an Asus eeePC 1000H running XP Professional, i think it's a remarkable little netbook, i'm very pleased.
My whole family uses it very strongly. I've installed various devices on it never had a problem. Gives me 4-5 hours continuous use.
Post 18 Dec 2008, 10:53
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
revolution, try undervolting the laptop.
Post 08 Jan 2009, 11:46
Borsuc

Borsuc
I have an Acer laptop, it's pretty good except for the fact that it's kinda old and the harddrive is super-slow (although it didn't give me any errors as of yet). It takes 15 minutes for Windows XP to boot up. Wink

Post 08 Jan 2009, 14:55
revolution

revolution
Raedwulf wrote:
revolution, try undervolting the laptop.
I presume you mean the Acer, IIRC the BIOS has no such option so set voltages and clock frequencies. Next time I reboot I will look into it in more depth though. But I don't have a lot of time to be profiling it at various voltages and clocks trying to find a stable variation. As long as I keep the small fan pointed at it then it runs okay.
Post 12 Jan 2009, 07:49
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
No you don't use the BIOS - there are windows/linux tools to undervolt the laptop. It doesn't take too long to get a good voltage ~2-4 hours unattended.
RMClock should do the trick -- there's tutorials on the net.
Post 12 Jan 2009, 08:08
revolution

revolution
Raedwulf: Thanks, I will check it out next week when I am back at the office.
Post 12 Jan 2009, 08:17
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Yea undervolting is quite safe, it at most causes BSOD, but doesn't do any hardware damage because its effectively making your processor cooler hehe Razz.

I got about 5 deg. Celsius less with my laptop, and thats because mine has pretty poor aeration in the casing and a not-so-lucky processor. 5 deg. is almost the minimum improvement you can find.

Some people have done 10-15 degrees cooler with their laptops.
Post 14 Jan 2009, 09:00
Borsuc

Borsuc
Ok sorry for off topic but since this is about cooling... does a processor like a Core 2 Quad who runs 'normally' at 50 degrees Celsius require a better fan, especially since I would like to overclock it a bit (same multiplier but move the FSB up to 1600Mhz from 1333Mhz, cause the motherboard will support, the one I plan to get Smile)? should I get a better fan? what brands do you recommend if so?
Post 14 Jan 2009, 21:21
edfed

edfed
old hp omnibook too.
very robust but cooling problems. the fan is blocked. then i've set the bios to low speed low power, and it is ok.
but when i run a dos application with no HLT instructions, or watch a video with a heavy/slow player, it will warm up and shut down instantlly.

Sad

indead, it is a very good laptop.

if someone knows a model with a pci128 SB, RTL8139 netcard, floppy, com, lpt, usb, ps/2 and a standard slot for video card, i'm interrested.
Post 14 Jan 2009, 22:23
revolution

revolution
edfed: Get out your screwdriver and unblock the fan.
Post 14 Jan 2009, 22:29
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Borsuc, 50 is fine, core 2s in general can go up to 70-80 degrees without problem.
Post 15 Jan 2009, 06:37
Borsuc

Borsuc
oh ok thanks
Post 15 Jan 2009, 20:48

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: