flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > System/HD images?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Borsuc

Borsuc
Ok guys since this is really bugging me for a while.

I'm using Windows XP. I want to have an "image" file of the system partition (C) which is around 8 GB of data (it fits more than enough on my other partitions). I need such an image complete with boot sector and all that info because I would like to be able to "copy" the whole hard disk on another hard disk.

Like .iso images used for CD/DVD drives, only that I want it on my system partition (EXACT copy, so to speak, not just "files"). I can copy the rest of the partitions with classical file mode Razz

(yeah I need this because I absolutely hate and it's a complete WASTE to just re-install everything all over again and re-configure everything Confused).

as you know Windows has that crappy thing called registry Mad

I tried R-Drive Image, and it gave me a corrupt image when I verified Exclamation

WTF? Anyone know of a better solution? Can the built-in XP system recovery make an image that can then be "put" or "burned" (whatever) in another HD disk/partition?

EDIT: nevermind about the money guys (I mean if a product costs that does this), cos I want it to work first...

Post 27 Nov 2008, 20:20
dosin

dosin
Have you looked at winimage-

I have never used it for this - but I am thinking you can create an image of your harddrive .. install the hard drive on that computer and then copy the image to the new one with winimage.. or burn it to DVD and boot it..

But I have seen linux system copied using it

Just be carefull you can overwrite your winxp boot loader with it if choose the wrong thing!!!

I used it to copy the boot loader of winxp to a floppy - worked fine..
and for OS Devel....

http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

This is the link for other tools that may help with it:
http://www.winimage.com/othertl.htm
Post 27 Nov 2008, 21:11
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
acronis is my best bet, been using that for 2 years.
acronis 10 i remembered... the latest 2009 doesn't sounds so nice according to reviews.

http://www.acronis.com/
it let u make a live bootable linux CD, then from it, you can restore your image from another partition/network/pendrive to your C, u can make it resize automatically/manual.

easy to use and some version of it is free (legal), latest or server version, need $$.
Post 27 Nov 2008, 21:41
f0dder

f0dder
Acronis is good, but non-free. You might want to take a look at http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm and http://clonezilla.org/ .
Post 28 Nov 2008, 06:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) tools can be used to image a drive - I've used them several times from a USB stick. Steep learning curve for general use. A friend of mine swears by Norton Ghost (has used it for several years for the same as you need).
Post 28 Nov 2008, 06:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
bitRAKE wrote:
Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) tools can be used to image a drive - I've used them several times from a USB stick. Steep learning curve for general use. A friend of mine swears by Norton Ghost (has used it for several years for the same as you need).
I used to use Norton Ghost back in the days (iirc even before it was called norton? and definitely before Symantec), but IMHO Acronis TrueImage has surpassed it.

Post 28 Nov 2008, 09:13
Borsuc

Borsuc
Thanks guys, really appreciate it. DriveImage XML seems cool enough, but I'll try Acronis too (seems a lot less bloated than Norton Ghost Laughing)

The thing is that I tried before with R-Drive Image and Norton Ghost (I uninstalled it now) it gave me the same error twice, like corrupted or something (at the verification!).

I scanned the system partition (the one i wanna backup) for bad sectors, though I don't know how to access the report, if there is any (of course I had to do this at booting, after I restarted etc..).

Another interesting thing, is it normal that when I want to defrag it some files (not unmovable ones) can't be defragged for some reason no matter how many times I press the defrag thereafter. Is it because they are corrupted or in bad sectors? Probably that's why the backup fails, or not?

sorry for possible noobish questions.

Post 28 Nov 2008, 16:08

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: