flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > would you love a robot?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
maybe a robot like wall-e?
if a robot could care us like our girlfriend, or maybe like our dear dog/cat, is there a possibility you will fall in love with robot?
Post 22 Nov 2008, 06:27
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
So I guess it comes down to how one defines love. I love to eat chocolate, but I hardly expect that to mean that I love chocolate the same as I love a member of my family.
Post 22 Nov 2008, 07:20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
If an anthropomorphic, sentient and sapient robot was programmed to behave like a human, what exactly would be the difference between a human and a machine?
Post 22 Nov 2008, 09:22
bogdanontanu

bogdanontanu
The profane definition of "love" is in fact an attachment to somebody or something, an addiction. In this respect many people are in love not only with humans or pets but with their car or their looks or their social status or their mental device or feelings or mathematics or physics etc.

So in this definition of love yes you can "fall" in love with a robot if it does look nice enough and behaves nice enough and has nice enough "features" and provides services and meets your expectations with no questions asked Razz .

The english words "to fall in love" explain this clearly: you fall down from grace into a lower state because of an addiction be it for a human or something else.

The correct and eternal definition of LOVE is hidden and unknown to "sleeping" or "thinking" humans but from my own experience the answer is YES you are in love with a robot, with all humans with all stones, with all stars, with all of the universe and with all that is and all that is not...
Post 22 Nov 2008, 09:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DJ Mauretto

DJ Mauretto
Quote:
The english words "to fall in love" explain this clearly: you fall down from grace into a lower state because of an addiction be it for a human or something else.

Osho Wink

Post 22 Nov 2008, 12:20
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
How do you define "robot"? Are we not robots?
Post 22 Nov 2008, 14:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
To be honest with you if I were to choose between the Matrix machines and humans I think I'll go with the machines. It's not like humans are any better and I think they need to learn something if they DARE to call themselves 'better'.

but yeah humans have feelings... technically it is also (proved i think) that 'water' has feelings (NO JOKE). hmm there was a russian video somewhere (from a russian friend) about it.

and since we are 90% water maybe you guessed it Wink

Post 22 Nov 2008, 14:27
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Are you talking about the Cherry 2000? Laughing
Post 22 Nov 2008, 15:23
baldr

baldr
What if someone falls in love with robot, and it/he dreams of electric sheep? Wink
Post 22 Nov 2008, 20:10
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

So I guess it comes down to how one defines love. I love to eat chocolate, but I hardly expect that to mean that I love chocolate the same as I love a member of my family.

but chocolate wouldn't care if you hungry or not, love came from something that care about us.. maybe.

Quote:

robot was programmed to behave like a human, what exactly would be the difference between a human and a machine?

i don't know, and kinda afraid to know.

Quote:

The english words "to fall in love" explain this clearly: you fall down from grace into a lower state because of an addiction

but at least in the end he/she knew what is "love". maybe like life too, in the end, we would know what is "life".

Quote:

How do you define "robot"? Are we not robots?

i don't know too... but are we robot? maybe you are, but i think i am not robot.... Razz
we got desire, and our desire creates creativity, something that instant and random and probably we don't know what is happening also, and sometime or most of the time beyond our logic.
how to implement desire into robot, to let it have conscious?

yeah matrix, since we all just watch the copies of reality inside our brain, nobody ever seen what is real out there. we just saw what our eyes interpreted.
Post 22 Nov 2008, 20:44
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
we got desire, and our desire creates creativity, something that instant and random and probably we don't know what is happening also, and sometime or most of the time beyond our logic.

Many other animals posses those qualities too. They can be sad, happy, they can love their offspring just like people, and all this is based on same underlying mechanisms.

Are chimps robots or not? Are dogs robots? Are chickens robots? Are ants robots? Are corals robots? Are single-cell organisms robots? Are viruses (DNA strands enveloped in chemicals) robots?

I think you see my point. You can't really draw a line anywhere. We are simply more complex animals, and we have very few, if any, qualities that other animals don't posses. And that is even though our closest living relative is removed by some 6 million years.
Post 22 Nov 2008, 21:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
vid wrote:
Are chimps robots or not? Are dogs robots? Are chickens robots? Are ants robots? Are corals robots? Are single-cell organisms robots? Are viruses (DNA strands enveloped in chemicals) robots?
I think the answer is no. Wink

vid wrote:
We are simply more complex animals, and we have very few, if any, qualities that other animals don't posses.
Uhm yes it is, for example, we don't just have a "bigger" brain (with more neurons) than apes -- that is an old myth but people like 'pleasant' myths that don't complicate stuff.

For example: http://www.pnas.org/content/104/35/13861.full

Post 23 Nov 2008, 17:12
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Uhm yes it is, for example, we don't just have a "bigger" brain (with more neurons) than apes -- that is an old myth but people like 'pleasant' myths that don't complicate stuf

Yep, of course it's not just more neurons, but no one claimed that here.

What I meant is that for example, animals have only couple of sounds they use to communicate, while we have quite many of them, and can combine them more effectively, up to the language. So the difference is only quantitative, not qualitative.

I think that the study you posted (very good one btw, thanks) agrees in most points: animals have some (though very limited compared to us) cognitive and reasoning abilities.

I would be really interested in how close would pre-neolithic man be to animals. People living in constant hunger and fear for life are VERY different (read some gulag prisoner memoirs), and it seems that some mental processes quite changed purpose after neolithic revolution.

For example gulag prisoners mention drive for sex, but they say they didn't feel love or long for it. Doesn't it make sense for love to be simply drive which assured reproduction in past, but under new conditions it was allowed to grow into overexaggerated form we know now?
Post 24 Nov 2008, 03:05
Borsuc

Borsuc
vid wrote:
What I meant is that for example, animals have only couple of sounds they use to communicate, while we have quite many of them, and can combine them more effectively, up to the language. So the difference is only quantitative, not qualitative.

I think that the study you posted (very good one btw, thanks) agrees in most points: animals have some (though very limited compared to us) cognitive and reasoning abilities.
Exactly, but the problem is that we have "different" algorithms, not just packed more RAM. That's the 'issue' -- it means that either both algorithms have the same stuff, or that there might be something else that controls "most" of our behavior -- which animals have too.

Example:

Object A has property X.
Object B has property X as well.

Object A has completely different structure than B. Then conclusion COULD (not that it IS) be that such structure is not necessarily the one making property X -- maybe there's something "inside" the structure (deeper) that actually makes property X. Since both have them, maybe they both possess something, but that is most certainly not the structure which is different (in this example).

Maybe we both (humans and animals) share something which is what gives us those 'abilities' but that may be not related to the neurons/brain. Thus a "robot" who would emulate just the brain would not be animal/human at all Exclamation

oh and you're welcome about the article Smile

Post 24 Nov 2008, 14:27
revolution

revolution
I think it is pretty clear about what a robot is not. And it is not a dog or a cat. Anything "naturally" occurring is not going to be classed as a robot. Anything "artificially" occurring is open for discussion about being classed as a robot.

And by "natural" I am referring to anything produced by the mechanisms of evolution/god (whichever is your belief, I don't care here, and it is not important to the discussion). This is the usual meaning known to rational thinking people.

And by "artificial" I am referring to anything made by humans, but not babies (let's not get bogged down in such obvious sillyness, please, okay), or anything other offspring related things.
Post 24 Nov 2008, 19:20
Borsuc

Borsuc
Or maybe "organic"?

Post 24 Nov 2008, 20:37
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Maybe we both (humans and animals) share something which is what gives us those 'abilities' but that may be not related to the neurons/brain.

I doubt you could find much cognitive abilities that you would be able to separate from neurons. Once you destroy neurons, brain abilities disappear, in all studies i have seen so far.

Quote:
Maybe we both (humans and animals) share something which is what gives us those 'abilities' but that may be not related to the neurons/brain.

Yeah. And maybe all quarks are pushed by mildviolet pedophile bunny-rabbits who love to hide themselves. Or maybe its all goddidit... I hope you see my point... of course there are infinite possible explanations. But if I ought ot pick one, it should explain all that previous explanations did, and also truly predict something new, not predicted by existing explanations. Is that so much? Did any existing "paranomal" theory (immaterial souls, reincarnation, etc. etc.) ever accomplish this (like countless scientific explanations did with their data)?,
Post 24 Nov 2008, 23:27
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
revolution wrote:
And by "artificial" I am referring to anything made by humans, but not babies (let's not get bogged down in such obvious sillyness, please, okay), or anything other offspring related things.
Hm...genetic modifications don't produce something "artificial"? What about building DNA from the ground up? Or does it have to be non-RNA/DNA based?

Post 25 Nov 2008, 03:20
revolution

revolution
bitRAKE wrote:
Hm...genetic modifications don't produce something "artificial"? What about building DNA from the ground up? Or does it have to be non-RNA/DNA based?
Yes, I am aware that my description has many holes but for the record: I don't think that simply modifying genes/DNA could ever make a robot.
Post 25 Nov 2008, 03:26
Borsuc

Borsuc
vid wrote:
I doubt you could find much cognitive abilities that you would be able to separate from neurons. Once you destroy neurons, brain abilities disappear, in all studies i have seen so far.
Without your heart you can't live. If you can't live you can't think. Does that mean the heart has "thinking" capabilities? Wink

vid wrote:
Yeah. And maybe all quarks are pushed by mildviolet pedophile bunny-rabbits who love to hide themselves. Or maybe its all goddidit... I hope you see my point... of course there are infinite possible explanations. But if I ought ot pick one, it should explain all that previous explanations did, and also truly predict something new, not predicted by existing explanations. Is that so much? Did any existing "paranomal" theory (immaterial souls, reincarnation, etc. etc.) ever accomplish this (like countless scientific explanations did with their data)?,
Did I say anything about "paranormal" (what does that mean anyway? what's "normal"?)

I said that it could be a CLUE (not to paranormal of course). Of course, such "stuff" will NEVER flourish into concrete things (and possibly predictions) if you DO NOT follow the clues -- it's like quitting or ignoring data, you'll never reach the end! Like abandoning in the middle of it. You can never prove what you are not WILLING to follow (e.g: you are not willing to follow some clues/data, so you will never prove it!). If no one was willing to look at the microscope it would never have been proven that neurons exist Wink

And who said that "neurons did it" makes predictions? Wink

Post 25 Nov 2008, 13:47

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: