flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > nuclear war

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
jack2

jack2
I have some questions, if nuclear war breaks, what things are we to expect:
(1) will airplanes and automobiles (far enough away from annihilation) cease to function due to EMP?
(2) will automobiles which have fuel pump inside gas tank explode?
(3) what about telephone and radio?
(4) emergency power generators, will they work?, think about hospitals.
(5) can someone describe the various damages starting from ground zero on outward giving approximate distances?
(6) what happens to those that survive? (fallout)
Post 18 Nov 2008, 00:10
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
might consider this thread,
http://board.flatassembler.net/topic.php?t=9092

(6) they will either elite or just plain lucky. i personally felt, those who got extra knowledge, eg. DIY, know eletrical, computer, meditation, psychology, medicine, are more likely to go on their life without much problem.

after all, this is all cycle, the tao of living... probably.
Post 18 Nov 2008, 00:38
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:

Or you may call this cycle "dialectic negation" like Marx did Very Happy
Post 18 Nov 2008, 09:31
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
vid wrote:
Or you may call this cycle "dialectic negation" like Marx did

difficult to understand....
Sad
Machinery is, for M. Proudhon, 'the logical antithesis of the division of labor,' and, in support of his dialectic he begins by transforming machinery into a factory.
After having supposed the modern factory in order to have poverty flow from the division of labor, M. Proudhon supposes poverty engendered by the division of labor in order to arrive at the factory, and to be able to represent it as the
dialectic negation of this poverty.
(my emphasis)

Embarassed

(I am confused about what Marx seeks to explain, since dialectic itself means negation, so, logically, perhaps he is affirming???)

sleepsleep wrote:
those who got extra knowledge, eg. DIY, know eletrical, computer, meditation, psychology, medicine, are more likely to go on their life without much problem.

Confused
Really? The radiation won't kill those who produce the electricity needed for the computer to operate?
In my opinion, knowledge of psychology, even without clouds of radiation having destroyed all plants and animals, accomplishes little in terms of surviving misfortune.
"tao of living..." hmm
By "tao", one presumes that you refer to Dao De Jing by Lao Zi, but, I have no idea, from reading that rather obscure text, how nuclear war relates to its contents.
Since nuclear war relates, not to life, but to death, may I inquire how this 2500 year old text relates in some way, whether cyclical or prophetic or anecdotal, to nuclear destruction? Are there any Japanese survivors of Hiroshima/Nagasaki, having read Dao De Jing, who could vouch for this suggestion? I believe that extinction is the subject of nuclear war, not "the path of rightousness". Can one have a "path of rightousness" absent people, and all other living creatures?
Post 18 Nov 2008, 10:11
shoorick

shoorick
yeah... just prepare lead panties and wait Smile

doc: why do you wear lead panties?
pat: i'm afraid of radiation
doc: but where are your toes?
pat: pants ribbon was torn once...
Post 18 Nov 2008, 10:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I never really understood all that Marxist hype about "dialectics"... making big thing out of fact that things can be viewed as opposites... so what?

I just noted it as a funny parallel between Marxists "dialectic spirals" and New-Age "cycles", because they are ideologically quite opposed groups. I quess this parallel between opposed groups would be nice example of "dialectics" too Laughing
Post 18 Nov 2008, 11:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
that parallel is obvious, as marxism is just another remastering of already known (very) old ideas.
Post 18 Nov 2008, 11:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Borsuc

Borsuc
Do not underestimate a nuclear blast. A test in the Pacific (not sure if it was in the middle) caused a blackout on the coast of Australia I think (and it wasn't on a super-bomb like the Tsar bomb in 1961). The Tsar bomb in 1961's shockwave destroyed buildings and tore roofs off of homes hundreds of miles from ground zero, and shattered windows in Norway and Finland.

The scientific settelment on the Matochkin Strait called Severney, some 35 miles south of the explosion, was devastated. The thermal pulse of the blast was felt 500 miles from the epicenter.

More here.

jack2 wrote:
(5) can someone describe the various damages starting from ground zero on outward giving approximate distances?
Depends on the bomb used. It's fair enough to assume at least 1 mile will be completely devastated (that is, MELTED at high temperatures). The further is mostly a shockwave, very powerful one, but sometimes extremely strong structures can resist it (from let's say 50 miles). Absolutely nothing stands on its 'legs' on the epicenter. No known material. (millions of degrees Celsius!)

at least it's what I know.

Post 18 Nov 2008, 14:24
jack2

jack2
I found this website that answers some of my questions. http://www.animatedsoftware.com/environm/no_nukes/tenw/nuke_war.htm
Post 19 Nov 2008, 02:59
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Page three of the Encarta entry talks about the effects.
Wikipedia has the best entry of effects, imho.

Russell Hoffman's tone in that letter is very entertaining - much better than just reading a bunch of facts.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/
Quote:
...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange even to the men who used them.

H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

Post 19 Nov 2008, 03:39
edfed

edfed
somebody played with fallout 3 Laughing
Post 19 Nov 2008, 18:53
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
there is fallout 3?!?!???? I never finished either of 1 or 2, even though i had killer character and was two steps away from finishing
Post 19 Nov 2008, 22:27
edfed

edfed
to finish them it is better to play with. Very Happy

[a little of topic]
don't you think there is a second world?
a world where everything is different, but the same?
everything have the choice.
this choise is simple, do it or don't do it.
then, a world with the do it option
and another with the don't do it opton.
imagine, we live in the don't do it...
and we see something like fallout everydays?

[/a little of topic]

what are the people who don't survive in case f world nuclear war?

do you want a real world nuclear war?
Post 25 Nov 2008, 19:25

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: