flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Why always "wide" screen? How about tall.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
[rant]

Almost everywhere nowadays we will see companies selling wide screen monitors and laptops. I guess this is fine if all one ever does is watch movies with it. But what about the poor programmer that gets stuck with an impractical wide screen system? What about the poor person that wants to read an ebook? What about those newsites that put all their text in a narrow column? You see, much of the screen is not used by many normal uses that an average person might like to use the screen for.

I like to view as much code at one time as possible. I always select the highest resolution available and the smallest font that is still readable. Code is written in a top down fashion, line by line, like a book or a newspaper column. This is where the wide screen becomes wasteful. One page can only display a few lines and the left and right portions are mostly unused.

So I propose the tall screen system with 9/16 (i.e. the opposite of the 16/9) viewing ratio. More lines on one page and less wasted screen real estate on the left and right sides. Companies should make programmer/ebook/news monitors and laptops with tall screens.

The wide screens always make me think that perhaps the screens are trying to follow the lead of the human population into a wider format.

[/rant]
Post 21 Oct 2008, 05:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
tall screens were used already long time ago in publishing systems - to see one whole page of the magazine or newspaper on the screen. does you videocard supports screen rotation? if yes - rotate and rotate your monitor - will be strange only while boot ^)
Post 21 Oct 2008, 06:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
shoorick wrote:
tall screens were used already long time ago in publishing systems - to see one whole page of the magazine or newspaper on the screen. does you videocard supports screen rotation? if yes - rotate and rotate your monitor - will be strange only while boot ^)
Unfortunately my laptops can't conveniently be rotated Sad Crying or Very sad

But fortunately I have a 5 year old Dell with a 1400x1050 14" screen. Better than most of the currently available "wide" 1280x800. Even the full HD screens do no more than 1920x1200, just a small amount more vertical resolution than I have currently. It seems like such a waste to have 1920 pixels in the horizontal direction.
Post 21 Oct 2008, 07:38
shoorick

shoorick
vertical screen for laptop is not so convenient and not mechanically perfect Sad
Post 21 Oct 2008, 09:39
Pinecone_

Pinecone_
lol people at the tafe i go to had a phase of turning their widescreen monitors sideways and rotating the screen with the video drivers... it was good sometimes, but got pretty annoying after a while.. and less task bar space is annoying Razz
Post 21 Oct 2008, 11:16
Borsuc

Borsuc
I hate wide screen. 4:3 is good but still could be better. Even when I watch movies, I hate the wide-screen versions I always try to find the "full screen" versions -- usually it's the wide ones that "scrap" some height of the image.

Post 21 Oct 2008, 12:24
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
I agree about the coding and widescreen problem, though widescreen allows setting multiple editors from left to right.

There is some thought along the lines of movies being taller than wider because your eyesight actually is more vertical than horizontal. In photography, there is such a thing called the "perfect format" which is a 6x7 square negative and you see it used in portraits all the time.
Post 21 Oct 2008, 14:02
Borsuc

Borsuc
Movies taller than wider? I think movies are wider than taller actually (for me it sucks). Isn't the eyesight wider? I could be wrong and in fact I would even want to be Razz

Either way, it's not like the peripheral vision's gonna be useful for looking at a monitor, so I'm not sure what wide seems to accomplish. It makes me feel like I don't have space, like a monitor-claustrophobia or something. Laughing

Last edited by Borsuc on 21 Oct 2008, 20:10; edited 1 time in total
Post 21 Oct 2008, 15:23
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
No, I meant some think movies should be made taller instead of wider. I don't remember the testing we did long ago but we took a large blank wall and had everyone sit in front of it and concentrate on a dot in their line of sight. Vertically, they could see higher than horizontally.

I don't recall if that was with one eye or two. I remember covering one eye at a time and (I'm going by memory) with two eyes, you could see vertically the same but, with one eye covered, horizontally was decreased but vertically the same, of course.

I jut don't recall if the vertical measurement was with one eye or two.
Post 21 Oct 2008, 19:40
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Pivot monitors ftw! Nothing like bouncing around 100+ lines of code without scrolling. Maybe my brain is just shallow, but I find it easier to read code - going to a laptop was painfully slower. Anything that eases comprehension is a win.

I'll have the documentation I'm reading open on one screen and be coding on the other (both vertically rotated). I've read modern video cards don't accelerate rotated screens well.
Post 22 Oct 2008, 02:38
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
Quote:

I've read modern video cards don't accelerate rotated screens well.

You don't need video acceleration for coding, right?

Revolution, don't expect to see wide screens becoming less popular in the future. The fact that you have an eye besides the other is hard to overcome Wink
Post 23 Oct 2008, 13:53
revolution

revolution
pelaillo wrote:
Revolution, don't expect to see wide screens becoming less popular in the future. The fact that you have an eye besides the other is hard to overcome Wink
Yeah, unfortunately. I will just have to keep waiting for the rotating laptop screen to be invented.
Post 28 Oct 2008, 13:08
shoorick

shoorick
Quote:
Yeah, unfortunately. I will just have to keep waiting for the rotating laptop screen to be invented.
what if next invented screen will appear round? Wink
Post 28 Oct 2008, 14:26
Borsuc

Borsuc
shoorick wrote:
what if next invented screen will appear round? Wink
Yeah like using polar coordinates to draw pixel coordinates Wink

Post 28 Oct 2008, 15:58
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Post 28 Oct 2008, 16:24
edfed

edfed
i'd like a perceptionnal screen instead of a poor pixelised screen.
question:
what is the resolution of your screen?
1024*768.

what is the resolution of your eyes?
1024*1024 / degree?
180°
Post 28 Oct 2008, 17:54
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
iow, a CRT, which is the better monitor by far.
Post 28 Oct 2008, 18:32
Borsuc

Borsuc
I agree. CRT have the best quality by far, compared to LCDs. Plasmas are simply out of the equation. Their quality is good (plasmas) but they are not worth it at all.

For example, there is one thing about LCDs and CRTs (I'm talking about desktops, not "mobile" shit): LCDs take less power at the expense of quality.

Proper CRTs don't have radiation and in fact LCDs are known for their poorer contrast which means more eye-stress when concentrating on something small. They are also more bright which can be damaging when you're in a dark environment.

The "bulkyness" of CRTs is simply out of the equation: how many times do you move your monitor around for a desktop computer? Most certainly that isn't even essential to the job at hand: best quality, if you need it. We shouldn't classify it by that (plasmas are heavy too).

Thus LCDs and CRTs both have their own things for desktop: one takes less power, but has poorer quality. Therefore, they are based on preference and what you need (quality or power).

Now, on to plasmas: what do they have? Quality better than LCDs, but worse than CRT, though not much. Are they in the middle? Nope. Some plasmas take more power than a proper-made CRT. And yet they have a bit worse quality. So what is the point of a plasma? Not to mention some can also "burn" kinda quickly compared to the long average life-span of a LCD or CRT.

So plasmas for desktop aren't really a good choice -- they may be less heavy than CRTs by not-much but they might take more power for worse quality, which is in the end what matters when you USE it rather than move it around.

Unless you're into the "OMG it's flat" trend that isn't really wise I must say.

Post 28 Oct 2008, 19:36
Vasilev Vjacheslav

Vasilev Vjacheslav
because we have eyes in horizontal, not in vertical, plane, that is why screens becomes wide
Post 29 Oct 2008, 07:38
revolution

revolution
Vasilev Vjacheslav wrote:
because we have eyes in horizontal, not in vertical, plane, that is why screens becomes wide
I disagree, I think it is because of media marketing telling the public that the computer should be used to watch movies. But the public seem not to realise that, at best, watching movies will only use a small percentage of their overall time. The more common activities like social networking (facebook, myspace etc.), reading/writing documents and email etc. is where the bulk of the time is used.
Post 29 Oct 2008, 07:48

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: