flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Help! Hardware problem!

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Hi friends!

I'm typing this from my sister's laptop because my PC broke. Sad

My PC was not showing video yesterday but the CPU was working. Then it stopped turning on all together.

What could this be? The motherboard? I still can change the pieces for free because this PC is new.
But I'm curious. What could this be?

Thanks
Post 19 Oct 2008, 20:25
HyperVista

HyperVista
Ozzy - check the power supply.
Post 19 Oct 2008, 21:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
as people mostly die tooo old and tooo young, pc do the same. if you have sealed parts inside - give it to the service to not loose guaranty. if not - try to detach and then attach parts part by part, it is often it may have bad contact of cards (including memory), inserted in sockets, less possible connectors, but if connector inserted not completely - it also may loose contact very soon. if you have both on-board video and video card inserted - try swap VGA connector to another socket on the back wall.
Post 20 Oct 2008, 04:53
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
It can get very dusty in a few months. How new is it?
On an old PC, I've had this at least a dozen times and everytime it was a dust problem.
Clean up any dust with a compressed air can or hair dryer (cool air mode, of course). But don't let any fan spin up too fast. You don't want to fry them!

Also, the PC may be beeping when you power it up. This might indicate what's the problem (check a manual for those beep patterns).
Post 20 Oct 2008, 11:19
Borsuc

Borsuc
I clean my PC regularly at 1.5-2 month intervals Razz

And yes check the power source. Once, my keyboard & mouse were randomly stopped working at random intervals -- usually resetting the computer made it work but then after a random interval it stopped working again. First I thought it was a software problem, driver problem or virus etc... Apparently I got into the BIOS and it stopped working there (at random intervals) as well, so that was a really good insight into a hardware problem. The mouse & keyboard were perfectly fine, I suspected the motherboard's ports, but apparently it was the power source.

In the BIOS it said "FAIL" at the output voltage exactly when it stopped working. It took like 3-4 days for me to figure it out. It sucked.

Post 20 Oct 2008, 13:32
edfed

edfed
Quote:
I clean my PC regularly at 1.5-2 month intervals

you seems to don't have anything else to do... Laughing
i clean ( reinstall) when my win98 don't work, and apparentlly, i have found a sort of stability of this system, it continue to bug, but it always bug the same way, and the fix is simple...
restart, will automatically be in safe mode ( completelly bugged safe mode i precise, nothing work, no keyboard, no mouse, only screen)
restart one more time, and all goes well for a random time > 3 hours.

about your computer, ozzy...
[troll] trow it away, computer are finally endless.[/troll]
[non troll] trow it away [/non troll]

stop to give your money to PC manufacturers,
or continue, with vaselin. Laughing
Post 20 Oct 2008, 18:56
Borsuc

Borsuc
hehe but what's your problem edfed? What doesn't work? Does the input like mine stop working randomly? Confused
Post 21 Oct 2008, 12:25
edfed

edfed
no problem...
or maybe i'm not so geeky today.
after some reflexion, i conclude that computer is a BIG WASTE of everything.

the beast to kill.
i start to think on HARDCORE VIRUS writing just to try to kill computer industry, the one established not by fun people but...

[size=30]I B M[/size]

otherwise, i don't feel so angry against the technics, the evolution of technology, but business oriented evolution is not my dream ( and hope it is not your too...)

ok, i start to go very far in the discution, and deviate a lot from the topic, but it's only in appearance, in fact, OZZY bought a new PC, a PC that is only made to be used by a guy, and that's all???
no, a PC produced by thousands.
a new PC that the economy create in the way to create money... from nothing.

why buyng a new PC when the old can do the same???

normally, a PC is always a PC, why don't they do the ultimate one, without thinking about the rentability?
nowadays, computers are built on OBsolete shemes, designed for windows of course, with pseudo standard peripherals...
all on the closed source philosophy... it shall stop, then, stop to buy their dear shit.
wait the utimate computer, or try to do one...
buy an "old" PC,,,, but never buy a new one, the proof, you have problems with.

good night everybody. Very Happy
Post 21 Oct 2008, 23:09
Borsuc

Borsuc
edfed wrote:
otherwise, i don't feel so angry against the technics, the evolution of technology, but business oriented evolution is not my dream ( and hope it is not your too...)
hehe nah i don't like capitalistic-business oriented stuff either, it's one reason why I like open source and pirated software Wink (don't get me wrong, I support the developers if they deserve it and however I can, I'm not a selfish leech)

and btw (just to point out something to you edfed) new harddrives are indeed a lot less robust than older ones, and they break faster. Naturally, they only care to sell them, which means performance, and in the short term -- that's what sells most, not reliability. it sucks

Post 22 Oct 2008, 12:14
HyperVista

HyperVista
Ozzy - what's the latest on your hardware difficulties? I hope you've sorted it out.
Post 26 Oct 2008, 19:01

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: