flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > On website defacing

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
TmX

TmX
Please, don't take this seriously.
I just wanna know your opinion on "website defacing".

Some people I know argue that's a good thing, since defacing means showing how insecure your website is, and the owner/admin/etc should be aware of it, and fix the security hole immediately.

On the other hand, there are people who say that defacing is a lame thing, not a real hacker should do.

ESR once said : "The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them."

How's yours ? Wink
Post 13 Oct 2008, 13:25
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
I think website defacing is just plain purile. If the real reason for it was really "showing how insecure your website is" then there are other ways to show your concern.

Any idiot can break something, it doesn't need any special skills or knowledge. Only special people can make things better, that takes real skills, knowledge and patience.
Post 13 Oct 2008, 14:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
Very lame, annoying and counterproductive.
Googling for exploits or getting them from an IRC channel and using them randomly does not add points to one's IQ.
Post 13 Oct 2008, 18:28
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Agree. If you want to show someone their site is insecure, email them and tell them, don't disrupt the operation. Of course, if it weren't for crackers, security wouldn't be a concern in the first place.
Post 13 Oct 2008, 18:35
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
It is like graffix tagging on the street or public bathrooms - any retard with a pen suddenly feels artistic. That said, some of the art looks really awesome and I like the change in scenery aspect as well -- those people should be paid for the service!

Post 14 Oct 2008, 02:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Agree. If you want to show someone their site is insecure, email them and tell them, don't disrupt the operation. Of course, if it weren't for crackers, security wouldn't be a concern in the first place.
Some friends were emailed a customer list with credit card numbers from a russian guy - they felt like he was trying to extort money from them! They brought it to the attention of company responsible for their web business, but the russian guy continued to show them the problem wasn't fixed. Razz Unfortunately, they found it hard to trust a faceless contact they were having trouble communicating with. Confused

Post 14 Oct 2008, 02:13
Adam Kachwalla

Adam Kachwalla
bitRAKE wrote:

Unfortunately, they found it hard to trust a faceless contact they were having trouble communicating with.

So what happened to the russian guy then?
Post 16 Oct 2008, 04:52
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I don't know - haven't talked with them in a couple years. I told them if their web support company wouldn't work with the russian guy; find another company to manage their web business or hire the russian guy.

Post 16 Oct 2008, 17:16

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: