flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > 10/09/2008 CERN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Xorpd!

Xorpd!
Thomas, perhaps you could check my arithmetic here.
If one particle has rest energy mc² and is at rest obviously it has total energy E[1] = mc² and momentum pc[1] = 0. The incoming particle has total energy E[2] ≈ 1e20 eV, rest energy mc² and so total momentum pc[2] = √(E[2]²-(mc²)²).
Adding these up we get a total energy of E[2]+mc² and momentum of √(E[2]²-(mc²)²), so rest energy of the system will be Mc² = √((E[2]+mc²)²-(E[2]²-(mc²)²)) = √(2(E[2]+mc²)(mc²)) ≈ √(2E[2]mc²).
Given E[2] ≈ 1e20 eV, mc² ≈ 1e9 eV, we have Mc² ≈ 4.47e14 eV. Two particles with equal and opposite momenta and total energies of 1e12 eV will clearly have a rest energy of 2e12 eV so it seems that we still have a factor of safety of about a couple of hundred here.
But what would be the Scharzschild radius of a cosmic ray induced black hole?
I get R = 2MG/c² = 2(4.47e14 eV)(1.602e-19 J/eV)(6.67e-11 N*m²/kg²)/(3.00e8 m/s)^4 = 1.18e-48 m. If it passes straight through the earth it sweeps out a cylinder of volume π(1.18e-48 m)²(1.28e7 m) = 5.60e-89 m³. In that volume there are about (5.60e-89 m³)(5500 kg/m³)(6.02e26/kg) = 1.85e-58 protons, so it probably won't hit anything.
Since its velocity is way beyond escape velocity these black holes may present some danger but will not be in the earth's vicinity for long. Any black holes generated by CERN have much more potential for danger if their relative velocities are such that they are captured by the earth's gravitational field. They could then make many more passes through the earth and start to accrete mass.
Just to give you something to think about...
Post 09 Sep 2008, 21:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Why the cosmic ray induced black hole must have a velocity "way beyond escape velocity" in your reasoning?
Post 09 Sep 2008, 21:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Xorpd!: Remember to take into account relativistic effects.

It seems even a MBH generated in LHC will also have >escape velocity because of the way the relativistic portions distorts the "normal" computation.

Although this stuff is way above my head, I'm just simply paraphrasing from what I have seen written elsewhere by real physicists.
Post 09 Sep 2008, 22:27
Xorpd!

Xorpd!
Well, E = 1e20 eV, Mc² = 4.47e14 eV, so γ = E/(Mc²) = 2.24e5 = 1/√(1-v²/c²).
I get v = (1-2.00e-11)*c. Escape velocity is √(2gR) = √(2(9.81m/s)(6.4e6 m)) = 1.12e4 m/s = 3.74e-5*c.
More telling is that escape kinetic energy is ½mv² = 6.98e-10*mc² but the actual black hole, if formed, has kinetic energy (γ-1)*mc² = 2.24e5*mc², about 3.2e14 times escape kinetic energy.
Post 09 Sep 2008, 22:39
Xorpd!

Xorpd!
Oh, revolution's post appeared while I was preparing my last reply.
My calculations are 100% relativistic, starting with the energy-momentum 4-vector: (mc²)² = E²-(pc)².
Post 09 Sep 2008, 22:45
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
This is under silent assumption that the produced black hole equals the total system, isn't it?
Anyway, as probably it might be a justified assumption, there's something more: it's worth considering, that if these were two protons colliding, then the result would have charge, and this would also affect how it is interacting and travelling. I doubt it would be able to escape Earth in such case.

BTW, that reminds me some silly question: why the particles themselves are not a black holes? We consider them to be points, thus infinite density, don't we? Wink Well, there are some nice discussions about it.
Post 09 Sep 2008, 22:54
f0dder

f0dder
I wonder if anybody besides me remember this old game? Smile

Description:
Filesize: 45.29 KB
Viewed: 4343 Time(s)

another-world.jpg

Post 09 Sep 2008, 23:09
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Of course, that's one of my favourites of all the time. I still remember some of the codes. Smile KRFK or HRTB, for example. Wink
Post 09 Sep 2008, 23:10
f0dder

f0dder
It was a game full of joy and frustration Smile - I especially like how you're thrown in medias res without much introduction, and have to figure out stuff by yourself. Suits the game very well. It also had some pretty nice stuff going on technically, like virtual machine stuff, smooth vector animation, etc. And of course the storyline that is soooorta related to this thread's topic Wink

PS: sorry for the offtopic Smile
Post 09 Sep 2008, 23:14
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
It's the Heap, I think little offtopic here and there in this section doesn't do much harm. Wink

Do you remember the guy that you had to kill with this green chandelier falling from above? At first I didn't know I could do it this way, but I still managed to kill him - he had quite simple AI and with creating force fields in right places and doing some dodging I was able to finally beat him. I was shocked when then friend showed to me how was I supposed to do it, and that it really hadn't to be SO hard as I made it to myself. Smile

Oh, and I loved the outro and its music.
Post 09 Sep 2008, 23:19
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
the webcast couldn't even be viewed. damn
well, now already 3 minutes after the first circulating beam... i am still here. ~ alive Razz Razz Razz

bbc live radio 4 might be usefull
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
Post 10 Sep 2008, 07:45
Loser

Loser
"Due to a huge interest for this live video feed of the LHC First Beam day, you may not be able to see the live video stream and we apologise for this." Mad

I'm still alive! Razz

EDIT: Oh no! Where is the second part of my message? It is missing! Maybe it was sucked into a tiny black hole created by LHC ... Confused
Post 10 Sep 2008, 08:05
bitRAKE

bitRAKE

Post 10 Sep 2008, 15:37
f0dder

f0dder
Cute pic - one large hadron collider ring to rule them all and in the dark hole bind them? Smile
Post 10 Sep 2008, 23:09
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Post 11 Sep 2008, 09:08
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

They even have an RSS. Very Happy
Nice, I like websites like that. Simple and to the point.
Post 11 Sep 2008, 09:44
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Did you know there is remake of Another World by ?Eric Chahi? himself? It has more detailed graphics, double save points ( Sad ), runs on windows, and sells for couple of dollars.

He also posted original videos that he used for in-game cut-scenes to youtube, check it out!
Post 11 Sep 2008, 20:50
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
how can i make a site like that?

amithemostcutehuman.com

NO!
Post 11 Sep 2008, 20:53
f0dder

f0dder
vid: yeah, there's a "deluxe" version or whatever Smile

It also has a "behind the scenes video", but the idiots made it in french and it only has german subs, iirc. ENGLISH, PLEASE! Grr.
Post 11 Sep 2008, 20:54
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
edfed wrote:
how can i make a site like that?

Look for "domain registrators" in your country. Usually offered by webhosting companies too.

Post 11 Sep 2008, 22:51
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: