flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > The Google web browser - Chrome

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sinsi

sinsi
revolution: my data That's it - as soon as they're on some other system they ain't mine - someone will have access.

And where the f*ck did racism come into this discussion?
Post 19 Sep 2008, 06:46
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
When you install Chrome, with no notification at all, it installs plug-ins for Firefox 3 and IE. It instantiates a browser helper object, an ActiveX control for IE, an add-on under Plug-ins called Google Update. It also runs a Google Update service in your system ...
Post 19 Sep 2008, 06:49
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
drhowarddrfine wrote:
...Sometimes I forget I'm not on a developer board....
Well, when you get a tad older, you will come to accept your progressive dementia. First stage--rejection of the concept that one's own mental capacities have become slightly diminished--fades relatively quickly...

However, yes, your perception of our collective FASM mediocrity is not erroneous, some of us are completely ignorant, others, like yours truly, only APPEAR to be morons, actually, we simply have lost our perspective, we are drifting....umm, yeah, almost like CLOUDS in the sky....
Smile
Post 19 Sep 2008, 10:35
HyperVista

HyperVista
revolution wrote:

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-162.htm wrote:
When you install Chrome, with no notification at all, it installs plug-ins for Firefox 3 and IE. It instantiates a browser helper object, an ActiveX control for IE, an add-on under Plug-ins called Google Update. It also runs a Google Update service in your system ...

From my perspective, this aspect of browser technology that supports "cloud" computing is much more insideous than my data floating around others systems being acted on and manipulated. That's not to minimize the downside of my data floating about. These "features" (ActiveX, certain types of plug-ins, and especially browser helper objects (BHOs)) are designed to enable others to run code on your platform. These things enable advertisers, spammers and others to intrude on my system, consume my CPU cycles, disk space, etc. that I pay for so they can advertise at me, while at the same time making my system much less secure and ultimately less responsive. Of course, when we click on that small print EULA, we give them permission to trespass on our property.
sinsi wrote:

You have to understand that if you dare to disagree with or challenge MichaelH you can expect to be called a drunk, as in the case of drhowarddrfine, or in my case a genocidal racist for calling him out on his childish behavior. Laughing

Last edited by HyperVista on 19 Sep 2008, 10:52; edited 1 time in total
Post 19 Sep 2008, 10:43
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
HyperVista wrote:
From my perspective, this aspect of browser technology that supports "cloud" computing is much more insideous than my data floating around others systems being acted on and manipulated. These "features" (ActiveX, certain types of plug-ins, and especially browser helper objects (BHOs)) are designed to enable others to run code on your platform. These things enable advertisers, spammers and others to intrude on my system, consume my CPU cycles, disk space, etc. that I pay for so they can advertise at me, while at the same time make my system much less secure and ultimately less responsive. Of course, when we click on that small print EULA, we give them permission to trespass on our property.
Yet another reason to disable JS, Java and Flash. I can't remember the last time I saw and advert on my system, it is so nice not to have those sorts of distractions when I am trying to do work. Indeed, I encourage all advertisers to embrace the JS/Java/Flash stuff to produce their ads, that way I won't have to bother actively ignoring them.
Post 19 Sep 2008, 10:50
MichaelH

MichaelH
Well since HyperVista can't let it go Sad

sinsi wrote:

You mean you've never witnessed HyperVista in full flight Shocked .... lucky you.

He's responsible for some real jaw droppers, religious hatred thrown at Muslims, American racist propaganda directed at Iran and varous other countries but I guess the one most will remember is the cows shitting in the street. He seems to think the US Air Force dropping bombs on innocent people is funny, always has, can't understand such humour myself but there you go. The HyperVistas of this world are everywhere .... sadly Sad

Speaking of humour, here's something to ponder, how is it possible that one American can be extremely funny and the other completely void of humour. I've always thought humour was a cultural thing ..... apparently not Shocked
Post 19 Sep 2008, 11:08
HyperVista

HyperVista
Google is about to extend the "cloud" to the handset with the introduction of the Android OS on T-Mobile phones next week in NY. This open source mobile OS brings along with it all those browser goodies that will enable advertisers to reach you anywhere.
I met with the Android team last week and they deserve lots of credit for releasing Android as a totally open source project. Their objective is to bring the "cloud" browser experience to the handset.
Post 19 Sep 2008, 12:58
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
i wanna get an android phone.... but it seems not available in asia yet....
Post 19 Sep 2008, 13:50
HyperVista

HyperVista
hi sleepsleep. yeah, me too. i asked the Android guys if they will be announcing the release of Android phones on other providers such as Vodafone, Telkomsel, SingTel, NTT docomo, etc. They said they will be making announcements soon, but would not say more about it.
You can download the SDK now, which includes a handset emulator, if you want to play around with developing Android apps. Once they do release Android phones in your region, you'll be ready!
http://code.google.com/android/download.html
Post 19 Sep 2008, 13:58
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
It is the lack of control over who has access to my data that worries me.
Never, ever use the telephone but I don't think someone at Google is looking over my love letters right now but I understand this point. But you are assuming hundreds of people at MSN and Yahoo would be authorized to do this and no on else would find out. You are also assuming that, once found out, no one would leave such an operation and no lawyers would get involved.[quote]
Quote:

This is why the "desktop" will never die and why I said that your statement above "JS is the future, my man. Everything will be using it for everything shortly." is nonsense. Too many people will reject the idea.
Anything you are worried about can still be saved on the desktop PC but this is the here and now and where the big money is going. See Google Docs, Zoho, Amazon's S3, the many online storage sites and on and on.
Post 19 Sep 2008, 14:03
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
Yet another reason to disable JS, Java and Flash.
Flash is so slow to download and execute that it will be a while before you see it much for anything but small ads and videos, which are already slow to downnload. Search engines don't like js based web site creation because they can't index the content so you won't find many such things.

js is used for user functionality. For example, it validates the data you enter when you order a book from Amazon, or my online restaurant form, before it sends it to the server. Without js, it has to submit the form and get a return page to verify the entry or make corrections. Without js, that process takes longer, throws unneeded data on the 'net, and adds more for the server to do.
Post 19 Sep 2008, 14:14
revolution

revolution
drhowarddrfine wrote:
But you are assuming hundreds of people at MSN and Yahoo would be authorized to do this and no on else would find out.
No, actually I am not assuming that. There is always to chance of a single person searching for specific things, tells no one else except their criminal friends.
drhowarddrfine wrote:
You are also assuming that, once found out, no one would leave such an operation and no lawyers would get involved.
No, actually I am not assuming that. If the lawyers start to get involved then it is already too late, my data has been compromised. You can't put the genie back in the bottle once it is out.

And let us remember that it is not just the storage, it is also the transport of the data. Not every ISP/Carrier is going to play by the rules. The more people/companies my data passes through the more chance there is of a problem.
Post 19 Sep 2008, 14:19
revolution

revolution
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Flash is so slow to download and execute that it will be a while before you see it much for anything but small ads and videos, which are already slow to downnload.
I'm glad you also support my decision to disable Flash.
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Search engines don't like js based web site creation because they can't index the content so you won't find many such things.
I'm glad you support my decision to disable JS.
drhowarddrfine wrote:
js is used for user functionality. For example, it validates the data you enter when you order a book from Amazon, or my online restaurant form, before it sends it to the server. Without js, it has to submit the form and get a return page to verify the entry or make corrections. Without js, that process takes longer, throws unneeded data on the 'net, and adds more for the server to do.
Unfortunately JS is also used for many other annoying things, like popups, moving/hiding data, delivery of malware, obfuscating redirects. etc. etc. I don't like the idea of that happening so I disable it. So far no problems for me, even my bank is starting to pay attention and is slowly eliminating all JS.
Post 19 Sep 2008, 14:25
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Just noticed this announcement from yesterday. Chrome has super fast js with V8 engine. TraceMonkey in Firefox is mind numbing. Now, WebKit (Safari and Chrome) will be stupid fast
Post 19 Sep 2008, 14:47
HyperVista

HyperVista
Here is an interesting article on MS thoughts on "cloud" computing and how the industry needs a "killer app" for cloud computing. The links within this linked article are equally interesting.
Mundie (MS CTO) makes the case for client side OS (of course) and I think Google's Chrome makes the case that the browser is that client side OS.
Post 26 Sep 2008, 15:24
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
OK, Microsoft is admitting that Windows is doomed and finally they are looking forward.
But it scares me their vision of a Microsoft-built Kubrick's HAL.

I just wonder what smaller and more talented (creative) companies could be doing with that massive capital-spending ability.
Post 29 Sep 2008, 18:04
MazeGen

MazeGen
Hey, pelaillo, our ol' good mod, is back! Smile
Post 29 Sep 2008, 20:26
HyperVista

HyperVista
Update on Google's Chrome browser: Looks like it's gaining adoptance pretty quickly for a new browser.

LINK
Post 26 Nov 2008, 15:30
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Chrome to exit beta in January
while Microsoft's IE8 slips late into 2009
But worse news for Microsoft and IE8:
Quote:

Google, meanwhile, is exploring its distribution options and examining the various ways it might improve its market share. "We will probably do distribution deals,” Pinchai told The Times. "We could work with an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and have them ship computers with Chrome preinstalled."

Related story
Post 26 Nov 2008, 19:07

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: