flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > The Google web browser - Chrome

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
drhowarddrfine wrote:
bitRAKE wrote:
pelaillo wrote:
This is not just a browser. This is the real GoogleOS. In a not-so-distant future it will come preinstalled in netbooks as the only user interface (probably on top of a very stripped down linux kernel)
This is my impression as well. They want to leave their option to run on a stripped down or embedded Windows open as well. They say power corrupts - wonder how evil Google will become?
Always looking on the bright side of life, eh? Of course, you don't know any of that will happen, you're just sayin'.
No, I came here from the future to save you. Do you think me corrupt?

Post 03 Sep 2008, 17:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
Sorry, I haven't restarted it yet (its in Estonian), but you get the gist:
Google about dialog wrote:

Ametlik järk 1583
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13

EDIT: I should quote all the about dialog. It reads:
Chrome about dialog wrote:

Google Inc.
Copyright © 2006-2008 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Portions of this software were licensed from third parties as described at: http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=100336

Official Build 1583
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/0.2.149.27 Safari/525.13

Read the "Portions of this..." part Smile

SVG is supported and really fast,
http://www.croczilla.com/svg/samples/ (try the Invaders example in any other browser Smile)
but what I discovered was the lack of
http://www.w3.org/Math/XSL/csmall2.xml Idea Now that is one real reason not to use it Very Happy

Btw now I've noticed the "missing symbols" anomaly. Its a refresh issue. When you want to write something inbetween the text,
it doesn't refresh properly. Moving the cursor right a bit refreshes it or Ctrl+A - then you see the whole box refreshed Idea
Post 03 Sep 2008, 17:55
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

When you want to write something inbetween the text,
it doesn't refresh properly.

Aaahh! That must be what I've thought it was (unwanted and impossible to disable) overwrite mode.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 19:32
dap

dap
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Each tab runs in its own process. Unlike other browseres, if one tab crashes for whatever reason, the others don't go down with it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/03/11/ie8-and-loosely-coupled-ie-lcie.aspx

Post 04 Sep 2008, 13:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Yes, IE8 does it but it's not released yet so I didn't count it. Of course, Chrome isn't an official release either. In any case, they don't do quite the same thing as well but I don't have the link to where I read that. I think that if a tab crashes on IE8, the whole browser can still go down. Perhaps the comic said so? Don't remember.
Post 04 Sep 2008, 14:40
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Post 12 Sep 2008, 16:15
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
They both keep calling it "version 1.0" and it's not. It's version 0.2.

In the meantime, the rest of the world is lauding over it.
Post 12 Sep 2008, 21:33
revolution

revolution
Chrome meets ~ ½ of one of my 6 criteria, and that would be the crash resistance, but since it can still be completely crashed it only scores half of one point.

drhowarddrfine wrote:
Please elaborate. Who is saying what? Links?
Post 13 Sep 2008, 16:01
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:

drhowarddrfine wrote:
Please elaborate. Who is saying what? Links?
Oh, don't make me use Google for you. And I'm not going to link you to all the web developer blogs and forums either. Here's a few I grabbed real quick. It's all over the developer world with some adding it already to their list of "must use" test beds.
TechCrunch
Quote:
Expect to see millions of web devices, even desktop web devices, in the coming years that completely strip out the Windows layer and use the browser as the only operating system the user needs. That was going to happen anyway, but Chrome + Gears just made the decision a whole lot easier for hardware manufacturers to make.

Chrome changed the world overnight
You'll be downloading this browser
Chrome shines
Post 13 Sep 2008, 20:09
Adam Kachwalla

Adam Kachwalla
Read the license agreement. It may give you a shock.
Post 14 Sep 2008, 07:34
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Read the license agreement again and it may give YOU a shock. You don't know what you're talking about.
Post 14 Sep 2008, 13:19
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
To clarify, the license was corrected.
Post 14 Sep 2008, 14:21
MichaelH

MichaelH
No way to stop annoying url protocol popup warning (e.g foo://c:/test.foo). An oversight or a devious way to push google gears?

Chrome should just check in the registry like all other browsers, surely you have to be an administrator to set registry value anyway, if the value exists, surely it was put there for a reason. It was bad enough when firefox and opera (setting up a url protocol in opera is a pain) decided that an administrator didn't have enough permisions and required a user with no rights to confirm things, how back to front is that?
Post 15 Sep 2008, 02:44
revolution

revolution
MichaelH wrote:
foo://c:/test.foo
Firefox wrote:
Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (foo) isn't associated with any program.
Post 15 Sep 2008, 02:48
MichaelH

MichaelH
That's exactly my point Revolution. An administrator of your system has not set the foo: url protocol up on your system, so no external program will run but if an administrator, with rights to do such a things does set it up, stupid browser such as firefox and opera ask the user with no rights at all if it's ok to run the external program.

Chrome being totally paranoid won't even let anything run without an annoying dialog popping up ..... maybe it's beta but I suspect given that google gears lets you run external programs, this may be an attempt to force the belief that only browsers should be allowed to run programs i.e the browser OS nonsense I hear everywhere.
Post 15 Sep 2008, 08:05
MichaelH

MichaelH
Doesn't let me run what I want but sets up a task when installed and runs a program called Googleupdate.exe which is more than likely spying on our every move and reporting it back to google so they can sell the imformation. I'm really starting to hate this virus called the google chrome browser Sad

Windows users who are testing chrome, if you don't want Googleupdate.exe to run, go to C:\WINDOWS\Tasks and delete the spyware Wink GoogleUpdateTaskUser task,

Also you'll find it in the registry under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Post 15 Sep 2008, 09:16
revolution

revolution
MichaelH wrote:
That's exactly my point Revolution. An administrator of your system has not set the foo: url protocol up on your system, so no external program will run but if an administrator, with rights to do such a things does set it up, stupid browser such as firefox and opera ask the user with no rights at all if it's ok to run the external program.
I've never encountered that. Which protocols trigger the message?
Post 15 Sep 2008, 09:35
MichaelH

MichaelH
It was introduced in firefox 3.

As for opera, here's a bug report I wrote to the opera people, since I decided to test all browser because of chromes unusual way of doing things and found opera to have some problems as well -

It would seem with further investigation unlike all other browsers, Opera insists on each user setting up extra url protocols manually. However after manual setup (imagine how painful this would be in a corporate network) instead of accepting the default values (Open with Default application) an annoying dialog appears stating "No registered application for this extension" and the user then has to manually set the other "open with other application" option in tools/preferences/advanced/programs.

How about just checking in the registry and not bothering with any manual setup as IE and Safari does, after all, you have to be an administrator to set registry value anyway, if the value exists, surely it was put there for a reason.
Post 15 Sep 2008, 11:37
revolution

revolution
MichaelH: Are you talking about the protocol (foo in the example above) or the file extension (like .PDF or .C etc.)?
Post 15 Sep 2008, 11:51
MichaelH

MichaelH
The protocol .... sorry I should not have used foo as an extension.

For example, here's a link I use to run my fasm stripped/modified assembler I call casm

casm:E:\code\Clock.asm

It's the same thing as google is trying to push in chrome with google gears but with the awesome mean lean power of assembler. All browsers let have let me do this until now. Chrome is trying to turn everyone into script kiddies ...... we need to resist Smile
Post 15 Sep 2008, 12:14

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: