flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > The Google web browser - Chrome

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
bitRAKE wrote:
My IE is using only 37MB and Chrome is using 160MB. For example, just browsing the forum (multiple tabs) IE uses less than 4MB on my machine. I have yet to see any single tab in Chrome less than 4MB.
IE8 consumes more ram and resources than XP and 2x as much as Firefox. Also, see the comic book linked to above for memory usage.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 05:56
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Is it just me or does the comic book thing look silly? It's feel like reading a book for 5-year-old's.

BTW: I can't see anything but the first page since Google decided that the cartoon needs JS just to click to the next page. And, yes, I am too lazy enable JS for the page, even though it means only two clicks of the mouse. And, yes, before anyone mentions it, it took me longer to type this than it would have for me to make the two clicks.

[off-topic]It seems that many website designers now think that something as simple as a basic link can't be done without using JS. Ridiculous![/off-topic]
Post 03 Sep 2008, 06:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
Comparing beta to beta seems fair.
(on the surface)

Post 03 Sep 2008, 06:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
But in fact Microsoft's Beta IS their final product - just with a Beta label. Expect same performance from RC1,2,3 and better with some SP-s
Post 03 Sep 2008, 12:11
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
Is it just me or does the comic book thing look silly? It's feel like reading a book for 5-year-old's.
Or is it just more interesting to read than a bland document?
Quote:

[off-topic]It seems that many website designers now think that something as simple as a basic link can't be done without using JS. Ridiculous![/off-topic]
Yeah, I don't get that myself.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 12:57
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
http://www.opera.com

actually, i am quite reluctant to try the google new browser, coz, i use opera for quite some years already and really satisfied with it.

somehow, maybe later i will try it.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 14:07
pelaillo
Missing in inaction

pelaillo
This is not just a browser. This is the real GoogleOS. In a not-so-distant future it will come preinstalled in netbooks as the only user interface (probably on top of a very stripped down linux kernel)

That's the only way they have to really challenge Microsoft.
Quote:

I think it's clever. They just got a lot of people to read 20+ pages of publicity.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 14:17
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I hope they can fix the load of bugs that was discovered in this short time because they are sinking their browser by giving to the average user a link to download a beta, non developers not understand the concept of beta very well and if they find that the browser sucks once, then they will believe that it will sucks forever and won't install it again. That is the reason for why Microsoft installed IE by force, because people wouldn't install it twice Laughing

And about the apparent extra stability by using isolated processes let me tell you that yesterday the whole browser hanged for a while when I was playing a YouTube video. After around 30 seconds a message box appeared asking me if I want to abort a JS script, after aborting it the browser was responsive again BUT in those 30 seconds the entire browser was unusable, not only the YouTube tab.

Also it consumes a lot more memory, it took me around 300 MB for only three tabs (flatassembler, speedyapesta and youtube), and now with Firefox 3 a little less but with 14 tabs (gmail, many webpages, the Bison manual in PDF format, google reader, youtube, etc).

They should have allowed IT people notice the beta release instead of offering it in google.com for everyone IMHO.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 14:39
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
It seems to be that it is more like an alpha release. Beta should not have such obvious bugs. I think Google fucked up badly. They rushed to get it out the door and fell flat on their face.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 14:51
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
pelaillo wrote:
This is not just a browser. This is the real GoogleOS. In a not-so-distant future it will come preinstalled in netbooks as the only user interface (probably on top of a very stripped down linux kernel)
This is my impression as well. They want to leave their option to run on a stripped down or embedded Windows open as well. They say power corrupts - wonder how evil Google will become?

Post 03 Sep 2008, 14:55
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Post 03 Sep 2008, 15:39
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
LocoDelAssembly wrote:

Also it consumes a lot more memory, it took me around 300 MB for only three tabs (flatassembler, speedyapesta and youtube), and now with Firefox 3 a little less but with 14 tabs (gmail, many webpages, the Bison manual in PDF format, google reader, youtube, etc).
Man. To try that, I opened 3 tabs with YouTube running videos in all 3 but I only get 100Mb usage.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 15:46
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
bitRAKE wrote:
pelaillo wrote:
This is my impression as well. They want to leave their option to run on a stripped down or embedded Windows open as well. They say power corrupts - wonder how evil Google will become?
Always looking on the bright side of life, eh? Of course, you don't know any of that will happen, you're just sayin'.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 15:48
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
About the EULA, I was a little surprised, too, but it refers to content submitted to Google's services through the browser. When you are surfing, you aren't submitting content. Elsewhere, Matt Cutt's from Google says nothing you enter while surfing is used like that. It also refers to "services" so I'm thinking this is something related to items other than surfing.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 15:53
Tomasz Grysztar

Tomasz Grysztar
Yeah, it is faster than Opera, as I tried it, but I really see no reason to switch. And after I got into actually reading the EULA, I see a reason to not switch. Smile

Oh, and BTW, it is based on Webkit engine, which in turn was derived from KHTML library of KDE project. But I haven't seem them giving any credit to KDE people anywhere.

Last edited by Tomasz Grysztar on 03 Sep 2008, 16:08; edited 1 time in total
Post 03 Sep 2008, 16:05
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

Man. To try that, I opened 3 tabs with YouTube running videos in all 3 but I only get 100Mb usage.

Chrome with three YouTube tabs each playing a video: 580M of total memory used
Chrome closed: 476M

Right, I have approximately that now, so there is some leakage* then because that memory consumption I've said was right before I closed Chrome (with the aforementioned tabs). But still my Firefox takes less memory in the long run. Well, it takes nearly 1 GB of memory from time to time with no apparent reason and always surfing more or less the same things and all from safe sites. Closing and opening again solves the problem even though when I open Firefox all the tabs are restored.

*Unless of course there was real use of the allocated memory.

When I use Chrome I also experience bursts of HDD activity even if the session is steady, haven't you experienced the same guys? (Nothing wrong with that, just that it doesn't happens with the other browsers I have)
Post 03 Sep 2008, 16:07
Madis731

Madis731
I don't get how you find all these bugs? Maybe they're OS-related or RAM/CPU related?

On my 2003 Server I've never missed any words in a textbox (I'm typing this in a resized Chrome textbox Smile ) neither have I had any lockups and it acts smooth and fast.

Opera has been so long out there, so has Firefox. They seem to add clutter, not features. I
needed the ~500KB installer-stripped-down browser. Opera, Firefox and Chrome are still
missing some crucial features:
1) Opera & Chrome don't have typeahead find and while FF has it, it bring up some silly red blinking bar - I don't need it. Only in Seamonkey is this hidden away from the user.
2) Opera is flickering all the time when changing pages because it wants to clear the whole region. I've yet to see another browser do that.
3) Selecting text is really hard in Opera & Chrome. In FF and SM when you've selected part of the word or link with your mouse you can (Ctrl+)Shift+Left/Right/Up/Down to select some more or less. Like in any other Microsoft application. Is it so hard to implement???
4) Chrome's ability to browse mouseless is close to zero while Opera provides some help. There's actually NO WAY you can search (Ctrl+F is the only way) for a link and then Enter to follow that in Chrome. Opera and other browsers allow pressing Enter to follow that link.
In FF & SM I don't even have to Ctrl+F.
5) Opera doesn't want to close the browser when you Ctrl+W the last standing tab.

Without it, its like a toy to me. It can browse, but it can't give me power. That simple!
So its Seamonkey for me until they provide *typeaheadfind, *caretBrowsing (or similar).

Getting the unread threads goes like this in Seamonkey:
"bo" + Arrow Down + Enter + "las" + Enter

Though I can get to this page with "bo"+Enter in Chrome, the rest of the process needs
a mouse. Try to find that link quickly with your mouse on a 1680*1050 screen!

Idea Did you know? You can pull tabs from FF || SM to Chrome, but you cannot drag tabs from Opera!
Post 03 Sep 2008, 16:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Tomasz Grysztar wrote:
Yeah, it is faster than Opera, as I tried it, but I really see no reason to switch. And after I got into actually reading the EULA, I see a reason to not switch. Smile

Oh, and BTW, it is based on Webkit engine, which in turn was derived from KHTML library of KDE project. But I haven't seem them giving any credit to KDE people anywhere.
They do on the project page, some blogs and a few interviews I've read. I'm not sure how much is borrowed because it's only mentioned in passing like "and some code from KDE".

Last edited by drhowarddrfine on 03 Sep 2008, 17:27; edited 1 time in total
Post 03 Sep 2008, 17:20
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
You can tear off tabs to open in a new window, too

As far as features go, I think people are forgetting again that this is version 0.2
Post 03 Sep 2008, 17:23
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

As far as features go, I think people are forgetting again that this is version 0.2

That's my point, they should have waited a little more before massively offering it for download. I understand that later it will work better and will be much more featured but, will average user understand it?
Post 03 Sep 2008, 17:34

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: