flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > The Google web browser - Chrome

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Link

Vrooooommmmm!!!!!!! Try this out guys. Maybe even faster than Opera! After it imported all my bookmarks, history, passwords, etc. it practically leaped off my desktop and onto the 'net.
Post 02 Sep 2008, 20:49
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Does it support features similar to the FF add-ons NoScript, FlashGot and RefControl?
Post 03 Sep 2008, 00:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

NoScript, ... and RefControl??

Very nice tools, them complement with my Faraday cage.

[edit] I'm writing this with Chrome, looks faster than Firefox 3 but less featured and with some bugs, for example in this very moment "featured" was half invisible and at this moment the w of was is not visible. Now "was" is fully visible again. Well, it is a BETA[/edit]
Post 03 Sep 2008, 01:36
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
This beta has massive memory use, but I really like the interface. There are many rendering errors - just entering text into this edit box (which is resizeable!) drops characters at the beginning of new lines and leaves droppings on backspace. Seems geared (pun intended) toward developers from the start. Google is obviously protecting their interests on the web - good for them!! Because MicroSmut (I do feel childish for the name calling) does whatever they can to dirty the web waters.

Last edited by bitRAKE on 03 Sep 2008, 02:20; edited 1 time in total
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:07
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
My most important requirement for a browser is avoid virus infections and remote tracking. I turn off all scripting (except a few special sites like my bank), flash and java.

Second most important is to have control over what it stores on the HDD. FF has good options for disabling cache and history etc. leaving no HDD footprint.

Third most important is control over what is displayed. Turning off those annoying animations, popups, scrolling banners and status line overrides etc. Also things like PDFs and videos should be selectable for each site rather than a global on or off for everything.

Fourth most important is crash resistance. This is where FF fails me. It crashes too often (approx. once every 2-3 days).

Fifth most important is control over what is sent out. RefControl takes care of the referrer line nicely. I also turn off all cookies (with just a small exceptions list) but I still have not found a good cookie manager.

Sixth most important is downloading from the browser. With the FlashGot/FlashGet combo I am quite satisfied, but sometimes it would be nice to not have to use an external program.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:09
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:
Fourth most important is crash resistance. This is where FF fails me. It crashes too often (approx. once every 2-3 days).
("Quote selected" is broken with Chrome, BTW)

Apparently this browser aims for extra stability because each tab is a separated process, in this very moment I have 5 "crome.exe" on my task manager (3 tabs opened).

Quote:
Sixth most important is downloading from the browser. With FlashGot I am quite satisfied, but sometimes it would be nice to not have to use an external program.

What's the problem with the built-in manager? I prefer the one that comes with Opera but I think Firefox's manager is enough.

If someone is willing to contribute: http://code.google.com/chromium/
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:20
revolution

revolution
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
What's the problem with the built-in manager? I prefer the one that comes with Opera but I think Firefox's manager is enough.
It is truly terrible for large files, doesn't restart and doesn't use multiple streams.

FlashGot allows things like grabbing all links on one page with one key stroke combo, good for things like grabbing all PDFs at once and saving for later reading.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:27
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
DownThemAll is pretty cool extension, imho. FF doesn't crash that often for me, and I'm using the latest beta, lol. I don't think Google is competing with FF.

I'll definitely take a look at the code for Chrome - I want a lean x64 version that will run on WinPE. Very Happy

Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:29
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
LocoDelAssembly wrote:

for example in this very moment "featured" was half invisible and at this moment the w of was is not visible. Now "was" is fully visible again. Well, it is a BETA[/edit]
You are seeing spell-checking. It's waiting for you to finish the word. I'm sure that will be changed later.

btw, this is version 0.2 something.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:35
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
bitRAKE wrote:
This beta has massive memory use, but I really like the interface.
To the contrary, Chrome uses less than half what IE uses and less than Firefox3. Each tab runs in its own process. Unlike other browseres, if one tab crashes for whatever reason, the others don't go down with it.
Quote:
just entering text into this edit box (which is resizeable!) drops characters at the beginning of new lines and leaves droppings on backspace.
I think you are seeing the spellchecker also.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:38
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
Does it support features similar to the FF add-ons NoScript, FlashGot and RefControl?
Not yet.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:38
revolution

revolution
drhowarddrfine wrote:
revolution wrote:
Not yet.
So does that mean it is planned to add these specific features?

Is it planned to have an extendible architecture with add-ons in general?
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:46
tom tobias

tom tobias
I am using Chrome to write this.
One small "error", umm, it doesn't always display the text, as typed. This is best appreciated when sending a multiline private message on the FASM forum..
As far as speed is concerned, I don't observe any difference with FF or IE7. None of these three browsers are satisfying to me, because I cannot control the top two "bars", and further, I cannot place the "favorites", i.e. web addresses which have been saved, where it is convenient to me. When I endeavor to eliminate the third bar, I lose my favorites altogether. Bad engineering in my opinion.
Chrome will not remain on my computer after I send this message, because not only can I not place the "bookmarks", i.e. "favorites" on the second or first bar (it MUST reside on the otherwise useless third bar), but in addition, this icon for favorites disconcertingly is positioned on the EXTREME RIGHT side of the browser. As many of you know, I dislike anything that is EXTREMELY right wing. I prefer LEFT wing, or, even better, DEAD CENTER, with flexibility to permit the customer to place it wherever he/she wishes.
Apparently, such flexibility is just too difficult for the architect/designers of FF, IE7, and Chrome to comprehend.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:48
revolution

revolution
FWIW: IE7 fails all but one of my criteria (crash resistance) for a good browser. FF scores 5/6 (fails crash resistance). How many points does Chrome currently score?
Post 03 Sep 2008, 02:59
revolution

revolution
tom tobias wrote:
Apparently, such flexibility is just too difficult for the architect/designers of FF, IE7, and Chrome to comprehend.
Yeah, flexibility is hard to achieve. People with physical disabilities know this very well, and computer programmers rarely seem to care to make things more flexible Sad
Post 03 Sep 2008, 03:01
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
nono, the word was spelled long before I was commenting that, and only happened when I edited my post, in this quick reply box it never happens (so far).

PS: And another bug, when I used "Preview" by some reason the box entered in overwrite mode and I couldn't disable it by pressing "Ins" (several times with tries within to be sure). The error occurred after I played with the box resizing feature. Now I'm replying after pressing "back" button and finishing my writing in the quick reply box (without resizing to not ask for more troubles Razz)
Post 03 Sep 2008, 03:02
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
The source is over 437MB (compressed)!
Quote:
The Chromium codebase consists of hundreds of thousands of files

Post 03 Sep 2008, 04:49
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
drhowarddrfine wrote:
bitRAKE wrote:
This beta has massive memory use, but I really like the interface.
To the contrary, Chrome uses less than half what IE uses and less than Firefox3. Each tab runs in its own process. Unlike other browseres, if one tab crashes for whatever reason, the others don't go down with it.
Quote:
just entering text into this edit box (which is resizeable!) drops characters at the beginning of new lines and leaves droppings on backspace.
I think you are seeing the spellchecker also.
No that isn't my experience. My IE is using only 37MB and Chrome is using 160MB. For example, just browsing the forum (multiple tabs) IE uses less than 4MB on my machine. I have yet to see any single tab in Chrome less than 4MB.

The spellchecker is not what I was referring to. The text rendering in an edit box is borked.

Post 03 Sep 2008, 05:17
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
drhowarddrfine wrote:
revolution wrote:
Not yet.
So does that mean it is planned to add these specific features?

Is it planned to have an extendible architecture with add-ons in general?

Chrome is open source. Also, there are "hooks" in there if you dig for them for add-ons.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 05:49
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
revolution wrote:
FWIW: IE7 fails all but one of my criteria (crash resistance) for a good browser. FF scores 5/6 (fails crash resistance). How many points does Chrome currently score?
Each tab runs in its own process. Any other processes, such as medi aplayers, scripts, etc. are put in a jail and run from there. Once a tab is closed, everything disappears from it. Read about it here after page 20, part3.
Post 03 Sep 2008, 05:53

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: