flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Fasting, Ramadan and losing weight

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
for those who fast during ramadhan, happy fasting Smile
Post 01 Sep 2008, 07:10
tom tobias

tom tobias
revolution wrote:
...you guys are posting proper and useful information. Just stop trying to be helpful and sensible, okay.
I will do my best:
sleepsleep wrote:
for those who fast during ramadhan,...
and for all those non-Muslim FASM forumers, who are, like me, overweight, let us promise that during this month of September, we too will fast. In my opinion, we ought, however, restrict our food/beverage consumption to the hours of SUNLIGHT, NOT in honor of our SOLAR non-deity, but because there is (for most of us) so little caloric expenditure associated with the inactivity which customarily succeeds LUNAR illumination. My goal is to lose 10kg during this "ramadan". Here's a value, representing my true weight plus a constant corresponding to the age of this board, in years rounded down, multiplied by the number of months since cher vid censored my heroine's photograph: 532. In theory, if I succeeded in losing the 10kg, by proper fasting for the whole month, eating only a minimum, and with a religious zeal to consume food only during sunlight, with nothing P.O. (per oris) past sundown, then that number should be 510 on 01 October 2008.

Smile
Post 01 Sep 2008, 11:53
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
tom: If you loose 10 kg, you will look like you freshly escaped gulag... (not implying you don't look so now). And besides, loosing 10 kg in one month can't be healthy
Post 01 Sep 2008, 14:06
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
bogdanontanu

bogdanontanu
edit: ... ok, removed my off topic info about loosing weight

Last edited by bogdanontanu on 01 Sep 2008, 16:59; edited 1 time in total
Post 01 Sep 2008, 16:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Can a mod please split this topic here. A suggested title is "Fasting, Ramadan and losing weight".

You can feel free to delete this post when done. Thanks.
Post 01 Sep 2008, 16:33
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Damn it bogdanontanu, why did you delete it? I was about to split it right now... Seems that at least part of your message is still in the "heap memory" of my firefox but it is a pain to recover it and that is the last mean I have to get your post back Sad
Post 01 Sep 2008, 17:38
revolution

revolution
I thought bogdanontanu's post was quite interesting. It is a shame to have lost it Sad
Post 01 Sep 2008, 19:25
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
haven't seen it Sad
Post 01 Sep 2008, 21:59
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Loser

Loser
Let w be his true weight (in kg) and m be the number of months.

(w + 5) x m = 532 ... (1)

(w - 10 + 5) x m = 510
=> (w - 5) x m = 510 ... (2)

(2) / (1):

(w - 5) / (w + 5) = 510 / 532
532 x (w - 5) = 510 x (w + 5)
22w = 5 x (510 + 532)
w = 236.8181...

Are you kidding? Surprised Wink
Post 02 Sep 2008, 01:59
revolution

revolution
Regardless of whether bogdanontanu's is recovered or not, I still think that some people will miss this discussion about weight control since it is hidden under a confusing thread title. I think someone up there proposed a thread split, that person must be a genius because I agree with it Wink
Post 02 Sep 2008, 02:25
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Lose is spelled L-O-S-E
Losing is spelled L-O-S-I-N-G
Post 02 Sep 2008, 03:41
tom tobias

tom tobias
vid wrote:
loosing 10 kg in one month can't be healthy
drhowarddrfine wrote:
Losing is spelled L-O-S-I-N-G
Yes, but, if one L-O-S-E-S 10kg, one's clothes will be L-O-O-S-E-R.
Weight loss is USA's number one health problem, in my opinion. With regard to healthy weight loss, one benefits from a goal, or end point, corresponding to one's weight at age 17-18-19, depending on the individual, MINUS 5 kg. Why minus? Generally, after ten, or twenty years, (or, in my case, forty years) sitting at a desk all day long, one's heart is in POOR condition. That's spelled P-O-O-R, as in inadequate cardiac output poor. One observes this phenomenon VERY frequently among computer programmers. It is UNHEALTHY, extremely unhealthy, to be carrying an extra ten or (in my case) twenty kilograms of adipose tissue around, for the heart to nourish, and the arthritic joints to endure. Radical fasting, i.e. fewer than 500 calories per day, for three or four weeks is not only not unhealthy, it is NORMAL. We evolved as humans who went MONTHS (not just four weeks) without eating anything, for there was simply no food available, for months at a time. In my case, I consume plenty of vitamins and minerals, and drink lots of water, so there is little danger of suffering any long term detrimental health effects as a result of one four week period of profound caloric restriction. The key to NOT looking like a gulag survivor, is to EXERCISE furiously, during the same month as the radical fasting. It is very important to remember, that unless one SWEATS, i.e. while exercising, then, the lipoprotein lipase will not be activated, and instead of metabolizing fat, as we wish, the body will simply degrade MUSCLE, while preserving to the bitter end, that most precious asset for times of utter starvation: the calorie rich adipose tissue. It is VERY difficult to eliminate the truncal adipose tissue, particularly if one eats a quasinormal diet, i.e. one simply reduced in calories. The body will convert EVERY calorie to fat, in a setting of daily fasting followed by gluttony, i.e. Ramadan. I would be curious to learn what the average weight gain is among participants of Ramadan "fasting". I suppose that citizens of Muslim countries gain, on average, about 10kg, during that annual event, unless they are employed as construction workers, engaged in vigorous activities in the hot sun. In that setting, they could even lose weight, because of their failure to consume water during the daytime, while performing manual labour outdoors.
Post 02 Sep 2008, 04:20
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
drhowarddrfine: thanks for correction, my english is far from ideal Smile

Still, whoever saw Tom IRL, must realize that idea of him losing another 10kg is ... thin.
Post 02 Sep 2008, 08:54
revolution

revolution
tom tobias: How did the weight control go? Ramadan is finished.
Post 02 Oct 2008, 05:11
tom tobias

tom tobias
revolution wrote:
Ramadan is finished.
Yes, but my weight loss project has only begun. I fear that I FAILED in my attempt to lose 10kg in one month. I was TOO WEAK, MENTALLY, not physically. I FAILED to control myself, and ate all my favorite goat cheese, every day, as if still a Basque Shepherd, instead of an itinerant on a journey to understand how Fourier Transforms assist in identification of Mersenne Prime numbers.
I did manage to lose 4 kg this month, but I confess to having exhibited shamefully inadequate self control with regard to consumption of good food and good wine. Come to think of it, I guess it is the Greek Shepherds who watch over goats. The Basque raise sheep. Ooops.
On 01 September, my body fat % was 32%. As of 30 September, I had only lowered that to 29%. I have a long way to go, to reach my goal of 12%!!!! My vertical jump increased a minuscule four centimeters during the same time frame--a VERY great distance shy of the additional 38 cm I need to gain, if I am to dunk the basketball.
I acknowledge these failures, candidly, to inspire some of the other couch potato FASM forumers. Exercise, diet, and mental toughness are the keys to better health, which in turn, will lead to increased productivity, though, I agree, some of us may require surgery to gain an upper hand in a quest to learn how FFT computation assists in finding Prime numbers. Dieting alone, may prove insufficient.
Smile
Post 02 Oct 2008, 12:00
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
I was TOO WEAK, MENTALLY, not physically

if you loose 10kg, you will be weak physically aswell.
Post 02 Oct 2008, 12:50
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
guys,it been a whole long year already, today,muslim start fasting..
coincidentally. fasmcon2!!
so, everybody., enjoy.!
Post 21 Aug 2009, 21:11
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
we also celebrated anniversary of 1968 warsaw pact invasion Very Happy
Post 22 Aug 2009, 16:10
tom tobias

tom tobias
sleepsleep wrote:
...coincidentally. fasmcon2!!

I like it!
Here's a guy who thinks the same way I do! Yeah. Fasmconzero was the first conference, and thus today marks fasmcontwo.

vid wrote:

we also celebrated anniversary of 1968 warsaw pact invasion

Some of us recall that it takes very little excuse to celebrate at this lovely gathering by some very nice folks, hope you are having a lot of fun.....

Smile
Post 22 Aug 2009, 19:09
MazeGen

MazeGen
fasmcon2? It's actually fasmcon3 Smile
Post 22 Aug 2009, 19:11

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: