flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Determining holidays can be tricky ...

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
... when is Easter? Ramadan? Passover? Labour day?

Well to help you out I have found a site that will give a definitive answer to at least one of the holidays:

http://www.isitchristmas.com
Post 29 Aug 2008, 15:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MHajduk

MHajduk
Here you can find the answer to most of your questions: When is Ramadan in 2008? Wink
Post 29 Aug 2008, 15:24
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tom tobias

tom tobias
For an excellent summary of the history of our celebration of 25 December as the ostensible birth date of Jesus, i.e. Christmas, may I heartily recommend this masterful travail by vid.

Smile
Post 29 Aug 2008, 18:35
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
hey, these links come from unexpected directions Cool

I am also writing article about bible-based datings, but only in slovak. For those interested in discussion of dating (tiny bit pro-traditional-christian biased), best one i have found, see "When was jesus born" series on this blog: http://pursiful.com

Date of passover celebration was also big controversy in early days of christianity and Easter.

As for finding exact days, wikipedia is usually more than enough.
Post 29 Aug 2008, 20:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution

revolution
Oh man, my website was a joke, and you guys are posting proper and useful information. Just stop trying to be helpful and sensible, okay. Sad
Post 29 Aug 2008, 22:46
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
oh, i thought that link is some message footer, and ignored it.

nice Very Happy
Post 30 Aug 2008, 08:14
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
how can i make a website like this one?

is it free or not to have a http : // www . domain.extension address?

i want for example a dreamovershit.com address for anything.
an other named yeahhhhhh.fr just to know how they do that.
and do that.
Very Happy
Post 30 Aug 2008, 09:10
revolution

revolution
vid wrote:
oh, i thought that link is some message footer, and ignored it.
SadSadSad Crying or Very sadCrying or Very sadCrying or Very sad MadMadMad Exclamation
vid wrote:
As for finding exact days, wikipedia is usually more than enough.
ORLY Exclamation
Post 30 Aug 2008, 09:53
f0dder

f0dder
Haha, that site is silly, revolution. RSS feed and everything Very Happy
Post 30 Aug 2008, 17:20
revolution

revolution
edfed wrote:
how can i make a website like this one?
Buy yourself a domain, hire some server space, program it up, advertise it.
edfed wrote:
is it free or not to have a http : // www . domain.extension address?
Not free. Although some companies give sub-domains for free.
edfed wrote:
i want for example a dreamovershit.com address for anything.
an other named yeahhhhhh.fr just to know how they do that.
and do that.
Go for it. Let the creativity flow.
Post 31 Aug 2008, 09:37
tom tobias

tom tobias
revolution wrote:
....when is Easter? Ramadan?...
MHajduk replied, with a link to a calendar showing Ramadan, and wrote:
Here you can find the answer to most of your questions: When is Ramadan in 2008?

sleepsleep replied with a comment about fasting in Ramadan.
But, then, when I introduced an ostensibly humorous rejoinder, admittedly critical of an (yet another) Islamic tradition which I dislike, Ramadan, revolution has a tizzy, and demands that someone split the thread.
WHY?
It is really annoying to me.
Evil or Very Mad
If loco can't restore the thread to permit a logical progression, (I assume he split it), then, let him at least explain his rationale for splitting the thread. I sincerely hope he has some rationale, apart from revolution's childish demands.
revolution's request to split the thread apart was not disagreeable to READ. It is however, disagreeable to endure his censorship of the Board. There was, and in my opinion, IS, no reason to eliminate the train of thought by splitting the thread. I really don't care anything about revolution's original post, or Hajduk's response, or sleepsleep's or my own, either. What I care about is LOGIC. I don't see it manifest in this arbitrary action. revolution EXPLICITLY requested that FASM forumers NOT take his initial post seriously. He sought HUMOROUS rejoinders, complaining that the responses from FASM forumers were TOO SERIOUS, on a topic deserving jest and lightheartedness, yet, when confronted with exactly that, he then demanded that the thread be split apart. There is nothing funny about arbitrariness in mutilating the sequence of submissions to the FASM forum. I certainly would not, I hope, (and I sincerely hope that I have never asked anyone to engage in comparable behaviour) ask a moderator to REMOVE revolution's suggestion to split the thread. Ganz im gegenteil. His opinion is IMPORTANT. We ought to evaluate his suggestion, even if his request, perhaps, was tongue in cheek. revolution not infrequently writes with considerable wit, and sarcasm, and one can not be absolutely certain what he (remember for a long time, the question arose as to whether or not he was a she?) really thinks, or what he really wants. I, on the other hand, am usually fairly transparent. I don't like Ramadan. I don't like Islam. And I don't like arbitrariness.

I have no idea what Bogdan wrote, but, those who read it, and found it worthwhile, ought, in my opinion, encourage him to resubmit it, so that we can all prosper from his great energy. If his post was critical of me, I don't object to his resubmitting it.
The FASM board is only as good as we make it. When we engage in meaningless arbitrariness, and illogical censorship, everyone is shortchanged. Ok, with Ms. Taken, I can understand, maybe that photograph was simply too radical for this august body of FASM scholars, and perhaps its censorship was valid. Her picture did not, and does not offend me. But, I can appreciate that not everyone enjoys human female anatomy, as much as I do, so, its suppression from the board is somehow understandable. However, splitting a thread because someone doesn't like the direction the thread is moving, without soliciting alternative opinions, and without providing a justification, is just totalitarianism.
Post 02 Sep 2008, 03:34
revolution

revolution
tom tobias: Thanks for showing your feelings. but I think you got the wrong idea about my request. I thought your posts (and sleepsleep's et al.) were more worthy of a separate thread since it would likely be missed by others browsing this board if it was to stay in this thread. This thread is too whimsical and unimportant and easily passed over, so anything more important deserves a more prominent position.

BTW: It has not been censored, it has been moved to here. I would be very happy for you to continue with the train of posts about your weight loss program. But putting it here would seem to be likely missed by too many than it deserves for such important contributions.

I also hope that bogdanontanu can find the time to repost his contribution. It was not critical of anyone.
Post 02 Sep 2008, 03:59
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
tom, I've split the thread because, although the Heap forum is many times "unregulated" and no off-topics are moved, I though that revolution's suggestion of splitting it was a good idea. Let me note you that the split was a "splitting for extra attention" and not a "splitting annoying garbage for better readability" like many other splits on this board are.

Anyway, if more people agree that the split is inappropriate I can roll it back.
Post 02 Sep 2008, 04:22
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Yes, i think that moving offtopic to separate thread when possible (and it was possible in this case, unlike many others) is a good way for others to notice that topic has changed. ASMers interested in Ramadan might miss it in Holidays thread.

Of course, it is important to link new thread from original thread ("XXX offtopic moved here"), and also backlink original thread from old thread.

No solution is ideal, and I think in this case splitting was bit better than not splitting, even though I myself prefer only to split if offtopic goes on for longer time than just few posts.
Post 02 Sep 2008, 08:50

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: