flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Why is CPU design hard? And MMU plus other random ramblings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
lazer1

lazer1
I think people have misinterpreted my viewpoint.

My ego doesnt depend on the success or failure of any platform,

it used to depend on success of 68k and AmigaOS but eventually
out of necessity I had to move on.

Today I will code for AMD or Intel, and I use Linux AND Windows.

I do that out of necessity as its where the market is.

TBH I am not enthusiastic about any of the CPUs or OS's.

But if the market moves AWAY from x86 I will switch

instantly.

computers are just machines, dont take them too seriously.

A lot of peoples lives revolve around one particular CPU or OS,
eg many people in this forum are Intel fanboys.

But I have been there done that with Motorola 68000.

Its a great chip but Motorola discontinued it one day,
and moved to PPC. Also Motorola refused to ever
even acknowledge the existence of the Amiga.

the whole Amiga design revolved around Motorola 68k,

that created a crisis, it was the end of the line. They tried
to go for PPC, but the real successes were the unofficial
projects which went for x86.

But now I have been coding x86 asm since 2006, all
with fasm and I PREFER coding x86 asm now to 68k.

mainly because the supervisor side is much more powerful
than 68k.

At the same time by being forced from the CPU I liked,

to one I didnt want I have learnt that x86 has its own advantages.

The net effect is I now look at all systems critically. Had I done
that from the start I would have switched to x86 a lot sooner.

Also if someone does create 100s of viruses for Linux I am all for that
as it will prove that its as bad as Windows. But I am waiting for that
proof.

who cares if Linux is better than Windows or vice versa?

what difference does it make to me personally?

I cannot control their decisions, why should I take
the consequences of someone elses decisions
personally?

its as crazy as the people who want their country
to do well in the Olympics. Your ego should not
depend on the success/failure of others UNLESS
you are their boss.

if you arent their boss then its out of your hands
and you should ignore the consequences good or bad.
Post 28 Aug 2008, 21:45
f0dder

f0dder
lazer1 wrote:
8 char file filenames. Mad

When Unix had decent filenames in the 1970s Razz
What hardware did MS-DOS (and CP/M etc.) run on, and what kind of hardware did unix require? Try to think about that for a while.

lazer1 wrote:
you just wish he was a programmer, sadly you are wrong.

Gates is just a generic businessman with aggressive contracts,
In the later years, he did concentrate on CEO'ing, being a "visionary" etc. instead of having his fingers in the code... but I don't think you should underestimate his programming skills.

lazer1 wrote:
I think he didnt even complete high school Embarassed ! HAHAHAHAHA Very Happy
Considering the amount of money he's made with Microsoft, do you think it was a wrong choice dropping out of school and forming a company?

lazer1 wrote:
you are clearly an Intel and Microsoft fanboy and cannot cope with objective critique. it is you doing the misinforming
I'm anti-fanboy, you're the one who isn't being very objective.

lazer1 wrote:
As I explained in an earlier post, servers are relatively simple things.
No they aren't Smile - they might be conceptually simple, but all the stuff that goes on under the hood certainly isn't.

lazer1 wrote:
You dont appear to like Linux, why dont you create some viruses?
Correction: I don't like linux fanboys who don't have a clue. I run a couple of linux servers, and they do their job fine. Why would I waste time being destructive and creating viruses, anyway? Especially with such a small target group? That is, by the way, exactly the reason you don't see any real-world viruses for linux... it's simply not where the money is. Holding on to 0-day exploits and using it to break into specific systems, however, that's another story.

lazer1 wrote:
:there is no problem if noone is using Windows.
Dream on... another OS would have the dominating market share, and would then be targetted aggressively. Besides, run a limited user account on windows, or simply use DropMyRights (or similar app) on your browser + mail client, and presto - you're basically home free.

lazer1 wrote:
You seem to do Smile

EDIT: by the way, linux is super secure, rightey-o Smile
Post 28 Aug 2008, 22:48
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lazer1

lazer1
this is my last post to this thread as I've run out of time!

I'll read any replies but thats it.

in future I will avoid anything off topic as I can see its futile!

f0dder wrote:
lazer1 wrote:
8 char file filenames. Mad

When Unix had decent filenames in the 1970s Razz
What hardware did MS-DOS (and CP/M etc.) run on, and what kind of hardware did unix require? Try to think about that for a while.

ok, I learnt something Razz

(good answer)

Quote:

lazer1 wrote:
you just wish he was a programmer, sadly you are wrong.

Gates is just a generic businessman with aggressive contracts,
In the later years, he did concentrate on CEO'ing, being a "visionary" etc. instead of having his fingers in the code... but I don't think you should underestimate his programming skills.

dont overestimate them either!

if he really was talented he would have developed the talent,
its not like he has a lot to do as all the real work is done
by others.

he monopolises the market and then doesnt know what to do
with the money. The way the US economy is going he should
donate it to the US government!

Quote:

lazer1 wrote:
I think he didnt even complete high school Embarassed ! HAHAHAHAHA Very Happy
Considering the amount of money he's made with Microsoft, do you think it was a wrong choice dropping out of school and forming a company?

his reputation is soured by all the sharp business practises.

if he got to the top in an ethical way it would impress me.

But the way he got to the top is like an athlete who takes drugs.

Quote:

Why would I waste time being destructive and creating viruses, anyway?

to make sure the world knows that Linux isnt secure.

keep them on their toes.

Quote:

Especially with such a small target group?

small but very influential as a lot of servers ARE Linux.

Quote:

lazer1 wrote:
You seem to do Smile

I dont care but I object to people trying to paint halos around
Windows. It isnt that good.

Linux is not good but its not bad either.

Quote:

EDIT: by the way, linux is super secure, rightey-o Smile

[/quote]

but that looks like it is based on theft. if you STEAL a password
then nothing is safe!

BTW the server account I have, they insist on creating the https: encryption keys for me. They dont allow me to create my own keys.

I dont know if that is true for all server accounts.

The other thing is that whatever server company you use they
can spy on their clients if they want.

I think for real security probably you have to run your own server.
Post 29 Aug 2008, 21:13
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

but that looks like it is based on theft. if you STEAL a password
then nothing is safe!

For what I've seen they think it relates to: http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2008/06/12/ssl_certificates_vulnerable_to_openssl_flaw_on_debian.html

The problem in fact was very severe and the worst of all is that it took more than a year to be discovered despite the fact that Debian (and distros based on it) is open source and that the modification was discussed in a public forum first but no one noticed how immensely bad the random number generator was. The issue is patched now of course (at least Debian and some Debian-based distros like Ubuntu did), but still there are hosts out there that haven't re-created the keys yet
Netcraft wrote:
Although a number of certificate authorities have offered free replacement certificates to customers affected by the Debian OpenSSL vulnerability, it has been reported that they have not been getting a big response.

Quote:
The way the US economy is going he should
donate it to the US government!

Better not, the US government would use it to kill more middle east people for sure. A mass killing of the politicians of nearly all countries on the world would be better. Smile
Post 29 Aug 2008, 21:36
baldr

baldr
I think, PDP/LSI-11 instruction set encoding is the example of clear and straightforward design. All registers are equal (almost), eight addressing modes cover almost every need. No special I/O instructions -- everything is memory-mapped (even the GPRs...)
Post 07 Sep 2008, 20:00
Adam Kachwalla

Adam Kachwalla
revolution wrote:

Technically the Itanium is pretty good, but if you have seen how to code for it you will understand why it is a real pig to use.

Perhaps the only real problem with many people is that they can't "think in parallel".

Last edited by Adam Kachwalla on 07 Mar 2013, 01:56; edited 1 time in total
Post 16 Oct 2008, 04:43
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Good luck with your Itanium project. I hope Intel does not pull the plug on them before you finish your task. It would be a bummer to find that there are no more CPUs to run the code on. Wink
Post 16 Oct 2008, 12:25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
f0dder wrote:

Why would I waste time being destructive and creating viruses, anyway? Especially with such a small target group?
Small group? Yes, on the desktop. Everywhere else, 'nix far surpasses Win.
Quote:
That is, by the way, exactly the reason you don't see any real-world viruses for linux... it's simply not where the money is.
Of course the fact that trying to execute any virus on 'nix is difficult has something to do with it, too.
lazer1 wrote:
:there is no problem if noone is using Windows.
Dream on... another OS would have the dominating market share[/quote]Macs are said to be at 50% usage among college students. Gartner, I think, said it will happen soon. Apple, a couple days ago, said it already has.
Quote:
Besides, run a limited user account on windows, or simply use DropMyRights (or similar app) on your browser + mail client, and presto - you're basically home free.
We always have to fix Windows, don't we?
Quote:
and would then be targetted aggressively.
Not according to the Stanford written, Harvard published book "The Success of Open Source".

Quote:
by the way, linux is super secure, rightey-o Smile
It's always funny to see Windows people pick out one situation (which was quickly fixed) and try to color the whole picture based on that when, in reality, security experts always say Windows is far, far less secure than any other OS in the world and advise you not to use it (Bruce Scheier).
Post 16 Oct 2008, 13:21
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

It's always funny to see Windows people pick out one situation (which was quickly fixed)

2 years is quick for you? You are a very patient man Very Happy Yet, I don't think this incident qualifies the general *nix security, it just proofs that despite of being open source, no one care a shit in checking the open source code because "Hey! it is OpenSource(TM), if there is a bug/vulnerability surely someone else would have seen it!". The worst thing is that neither the users cared a shit even though cryptography is a very serious thing, they just accepted the maintainer's modification without any complain because, hey, it is Debian, the world greatest distro, surely whatever they change is good.

Quote:

We always have to fix Windows, don't we?

What fix? Windows supports limited user accounts ALWAYS, it is the users that prefer the comfort of using "root" accounts for everyday use...

Quote:

Small group? Yes, on the desktop. Everywhere else, 'nix far surpasses Win.

Very true but how easy is to penetrate ANY server with a virus anyway? Besides, I guess f0dder meant computers, and I think that we can be sure that there are more desktop/workstation computers over the world then servers and due to the desktop dominance of Windows I think that *nix is the small group here.
Post 16 Oct 2008, 17:27
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Quote:

It's always funny to see Windows people pick out one situation (which was quickly fixed)

2 years is quick for you?
No one was aware of the issue, iirc. That's why nothing was done. Once discovered, it was fixed quickly.
Quote:
it just proofs that despite of being open source, no one care a shit in checking the open source code because "Hey! it is OpenSource(TM), if there is a bug/vulnerability surely someone else would have seen it!".
That statement goes to show you don't understand open source and how it's maintained.
Quote:

What fix? Windows supports limited user accounts ALWAYS, it is the users that prefer the comfort of using "root" accounts for everyday use...
By that I mean, you have to limit Win in some way to secure it.
Quote:

Very true but how easy is to penetrate ANY server with a virus anyway?
Not easy on 'nix.
Quote:
Besides, I guess f0dder meant computers, and I think that we can be sure that there are more desktop/workstation computers over the world then servers and due to the desktop dominance of Windows I think that *nix is the small group here.
I don't know but to call 'nix a small group is far, far from reality.
Post 16 Oct 2008, 19:22
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

And when I'm not using a root account on my Debian what I'm doing???

Quote:

That statement goes to show you don't understand open source and how it's maintained.

Lets suppose you are right, yet, what I've said is claimed VERY often, not with that exact words of course but yet the community tends to feel instant security only because it is open source, no quality assurance is needed.

Quote:

I don't know but to call 'nix a small group is far, far from reality.

Of course, we are talking comparatively, obviously the number of computers running *nix is not a small number, it is small COMPARED against computers running Windows. http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
Post 16 Oct 2008, 19:55
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Quote:

And when I'm not using a root account on my Debian what I'm doing???
The only thing you can't do is install system wide programs and make OS operational changes.

Quote:

yet the community tends to feel instant security only because it is open source, no quality assurance is needed.
These communities you hear this from are a bunch of kids and noobs. You've switched between quality and security. People forget that open source was and is for professional people and serious hobbyists. The code is written by part-time people but frequently has a commercial background and written by full-time professional programmers backed by big companies, such as Google on Firefox, IBM on Apache, Sun on OpenOffice, and so on..

Making it open means you can go in and tinker to your heart's content. Some integrate into their product or just take portions of it. No one makes any promises or guarantees but that doesn't mean these aren't top notch programs that are as good or better than proprietary ones.

So, they aren't designed to be for the commercial market. If one wants to do so, they become companies like RedHat or Ubuntu or Mozilla but pay people to make them into something they are not....commercial products. But don't expect to be able to freely tinker with them, like Tivo's LInux. Yes, people do, but at your own risk of voiding your warranty.
Quote:

Of course, we are talking comparatively, obviously the number of computers running *nix is not a small number, it is small COMPARED against computers running Windows. http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
That site shows the OS of the browsers that visited the sites carrying those counters and not OSes in general.
Post 17 Oct 2008, 01:05
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
drhowarddrfine wrote:
That site shows the OS of the browsers that visited the sites carrying those counters and not OSes in general.
Yes, selection bias. But I am curious to know how one could eliminate such bias?

I would suggest that the most commonly used OS is neither Windows or *nix or MAC, but instead I would suggest that the embedded market (if we are allowed to group all the embedded OSes into one segment) is considerably greater than the desktop and server market combined. Although, proving that is incredibly difficult of course.
Post 17 Oct 2008, 01:23
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Quote:

The only thing you can't do is install system wide programs and make OS operational changes.

And access files from users from groups I don't belong to neither (and I could even have no access at all if there are not enough group permissions on the file/directory to do that). Anyway, on Windows is the same, I'm not limiting Windows, I'm limiting the user, it is not some kind of add-on or whatever, Windows itself supports users and when the users don't have administrator's rights then the "root" access is not available anymore, you need to log in with an account that have such privileges to do system wide changes.

Quote:

I hope this doesn't means that you are seriously thinking that *nix has a broad desktop market share because of that (again speaking comparatively).

[edit] http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080104-evaluating-prospects-for-linux-growth-in-2008.html
Post 17 Oct 2008, 01:35
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
LocoDelAssembly wrote:

I hope this doesn't means that you are seriously thinking that *nix has a broad desktop market share because of that (again speaking comparatively).
No. I already said Windows dominates the desktop. I'm saying that site only tells us what OS web surfers use but nothing doesn't show what other uses are; and there are many.

You're link, btw, talks of the significant increases in use of open source and its importance, particularly among developers, who know the tools the best but leads back to what I said before: open source is for professionals and serious hobbyists.
Post 17 Oct 2008, 03:07

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: