flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > UEFI HyperVisor presentation in Vegas

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Me and HyperVista will present worlds-first UEFI HyperVisor (using Intel VMX technology) at BlackHat conference in Vegas next week.

http://blackhat.com/html/bh-usa-08/bh-usa-08-speakers.html#Bailey

This project was joint effort of people gathered at this forum: HyperVista, f0dder, Tomasz Grysztar, Feryno, and myself (vid). FASM is used in this project too (even though it is mainly C project), and for future we plan making some public FASM hypervisor and/or FASM UEFI demos.
Post 30 Jul 2008, 23:15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
farrier

farrier
Congratulations and good luck!!

Break a leg, or should that be: Break a hard drive!

farrier

... the right of the people peaceably to assemble, ...
The code is dark, and full of errors!
Post 30 Jul 2008, 23:54
f0dder

f0dder
farrier wrote:
Break a leg, or should that be: Break a hard drive!
More like break a motherboard, eh vid? Wink
Post 31 Jul 2008, 00:18
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
That was more Don's effort than mine Very Happy (and, more importantly, his motherboard too Laughing )
Post 31 Jul 2008, 00:37
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
HyperVista

HyperVista
f0dder wrote:
More like break a motherboard

yes, we "bricked" a MSI motherboard last night Very Happy
there are currently very few motherboards available that support UEFI 2.x and MSI happens to have one, which we procured for our development and presentation work. unfortunately, MSI hasn't released the UEFI bios for this particular board, but they did tell us there is an asian only market board similar to ours and the UEFI bios for that one was released. we told MSI we wanted to try the asian bios and they warned us that it might not work properly ..... they were right Shocked
after flashing the bios, the damn thing power cycles continually... Razz
we have a new board coming tomorrow from Intel that has the support we need (UEFI AND PS/2 keyboard support ... current test board only supports USB keyboard and our hypervisor doesn't deal with USB yet). after the fiasco with the MSI test board, we reinstalled the Intel board and continued .... Rolling Eyes

once the Black Hat presentation is over, we'll document the work and all the ugly details, complete with pictures ... Smile
Post 31 Jul 2008, 00:41
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
f0dder

f0dder
Quote:
(UEFI AND PS/2 keyboard support ... current test board only supports USB keyboard and our hypervisor doesn't deal with USB yet).
I'm not sure writing an USB stack just to have keyboard support is something we want to do in the foreseeable future (I have no idea how much work it is, but I expect it to be some work) - so grabbing a PS/2-capable board is certainly a good thing.
Post 31 Jul 2008, 00:46
Alphonso

Alphonso
The 'ugly details' sound really interesting.

It would seem MSI have the 'P45D3 Platinum' mainboard (with PS/2), which supports a 'click bios' so you can flash BIOS to UEFI or vice-versa.

I wonder how long it will be before UEFI becomes mainstream, if at all?
Post 31 Jul 2008, 05:41
HyperVista

HyperVista
Alphonso wrote:
It would seem MSI have the 'P45D3 Platinum' mainboard (with PS/2), which supports a 'click bios' so you can flash BIOS to UEFI or vice-versa.

Yep, this is the motherboard that is only available in the asian market. We purchased a MSI P45 Platinum motherboard which also has PS/2, but MSI hasn't released the UEFI bios for it yet. We thought, "how different could the MSI P45D3 Platinum be from the MSI P45 Platinum?" .... well, evidently different enough Laughing
After a long day and night of coding, testing, and Red Bull mixed liberally with Vodka and frequenst shots of Grand Marnier, we decided to try flashing the P45 Platinum with the P45D3 Platinum UEFI bios (the one you linked to). BTW, the Grand Mariner was courtesy of tom tobias who visited us last weekend to provide support and encouragement, thanks tom!! Anyway, the Red Bull, vodka and Grand Mariner combined with the bios tragedy left us staring at a dead motherboard for a while, then we picked ourselves up, re-installed our trusty old Intel based UEFI motherboard and staggered onward. Shocked
Fyi, MSI told us the UEFI bios for the P45 Platinum will be available in August, but that's too late for our Black Hat presentation.
We will get a different Intel board this morning that has PS/2 keyboard support plus the UEFI 2.x support. We'll play with that today and tomorrow and then ship it to Las Vegas on Saturday. vid and I will fly to Las Vegas on Monday. Our presentation is on Thursday morning so that will give us plenty of time to adjust to the Nevada brand of Red Bull and vodka before our presentation. I checked the weather in Las Vegas and it's well over 100 degrees F so we will have to take care we hydrate ourselves frequently. Very Happy
Post 31 Jul 2008, 10:38
tom tobias

tom tobias
HyperVista wrote:
...so we will have to take care we hydrate ourselves frequently...
Nah, nothing to worry about. You will only be outdoors for five or ten minutes. Everything is airconditioned. You will more likely need a sweater to keep warm, than a hat to keep the sun off. "hydration" by the way, means WATER.
On the other hand, you should both make some effort to visit the hotel gymnasium for a minimum of half an hour each day. Remember, lipoprotein lipase requires (neither Grand Mariner nor Red Bull) catecholamines to activate (please confirm with Feryno), and that means you need to be exercising with sufficient intensity to break a sweat.
Wow, wish you both the best of good fortune, and hope that the motherboards cooperate this time around...
Rolling Eyes
Post 31 Jul 2008, 11:52
HyperVista

HyperVista
tom wrote:
"hydration" by the way, means WATER

I was referring to the ice cubes in our Red Bull and Vodka. Laughing
As for hitting the gym and breaking a sweat, rest assured that we will be doing plenty of 12 oz arm curls in Vegas (American biers come in 12 oz increments). Our biceps will be in good shape by the end of the week, no doubt.
Post 31 Jul 2008, 12:11
Alphonso

Alphonso
HyperVista wrote:
Yep, this is the motherboard that is only available in the asian market.
Dunno about that, might not be in the US but Europe at least has it.

Hungry (Just next door to Slovakia) Wink
http://bugtrade.hu/shop_artdet.php?shop_id=4635&cikk=23631&change_lang=en

Germany
http://www10.de.shopping.com/xPO-MSI-MB-MSI-P45D3-PLATINUM-S775-P45-ATX

Probably not much help to you now, but always worth a search.
Post 31 Jul 2008, 14:43
Dex4u

Dex4u
Congratulations and good luck!!
I second that Cool.
Post 31 Jul 2008, 15:30
comrade

comrade
Good work and good luck!
Post 01 Aug 2008, 03:03
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
madmatt

madmatt
Quote:
"vid" Me and HyperVista will present worlds-first UEFI HyperVisor (using Intel VMX technology) at BlackHat conference in Vegas next week.

Sounds interesting Cool , perhaps some video will be posted?

would UEFI support a backup "hard coded - non-flash" bios rom
for people who accidently flash the wrong bios to there system? Embarassed
I had this experience two computers ago. Very Happy

Post 01 Aug 2008, 06:59
tom tobias

tom tobias
madmatt wrote:
...would UEFI support a backup "hard coded - non-flash" bios rom ...

Since HyperVista's former link has disappeared, here is an updated access to the
uefi home page with a link to the Learning Center, including presentations from the uefi conference held a year ago, as well as a pdf primer on uefi. Hope one of these links will give the answer to your question.
Smile
Post 01 Aug 2008, 09:21
MazeGen

MazeGen
vid published an introduction to UEFI yesterday. Enjoy Smile

http://x86asm.net/articles/introduction-to-uefi/
Post 01 Aug 2008, 10:19
wisepenguin

wisepenguin
congratulations (and thanks) for all your hard work. i wish you all the best of luck for the presentation.
Post 01 Aug 2008, 14:10
asmfan

asmfan
my congratulations too & wishes of successful presentation /take care of your MoBO;)/ Waiting for pics & pdfs/ppts on public.
Post 01 Aug 2008, 16:39
tom tobias

tom tobias
MazeGen wrote:
vid published an introduction to UEFI yesterday
and I replied, with a small note:

Smile
Post 01 Aug 2008, 19:02
r22

r22
Mentioning "www.flatassembler.net" at a Black Hat can only spell trouble for the poor PHP BB Very Happy

and FYI, drinking brandy is a MUCH more efficient means to an end than beer. Yes I'm so anal I size/speed optimize my own intoxication.
Post 02 Aug 2008, 02:39
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: