flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > help the world here. spread this.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
ok, here is the challenge.

you must use very raw, easy available stuff to meet this challenge.

1. you have a bottle (eg. those soft drinks 1ml) filled with water
2. you provide energy by lifting it up to 1 meter.
3. you use this 1 meter (since gravity will try to pull this bottle down) to generate electricity that could power up an LED for 2 hours or more.

4. you can use magnet or etc nuts ... but everything must be able to make from raw material and easily available around house. the magnet shape must be normal shape, (normal = easy available)

Post 13 Jul 2008, 21:19
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
How does this help the world?
Post 14 Jul 2008, 02:09
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
m

m
make a little generator using magnets, wire coils. make a hole in bottle. let the water fall on the dynamo/turbines of generator. the water fall should be controlled to allow for 2 hour fall.

i am not a mechanical engineer. neither an electrician. nor a electronics guy. i hope op can do this. it seems so simple. to a layman like me.

Smile

Post 14 Jul 2008, 05:52
revolution

revolution
Grad student invents gravity lamp

That page wrote:
The entire column glows when activated by electricity generated by the slow, silent fall of a mass that spins a rotor.

The light output of 600-800 lumens lasts about four hours.
Post 14 Jul 2008, 07:40
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Artlav

Artlav
sleepsleep wrote:
ok, here is the challenge.

A bottle of water is a wide definition. How much mass?
Could the pre-made parts be used, or should i make my own coils, gears and rotors?
Is the water supposed to be important, or the mass is all that matters?

Do you have a solution already to base requirements on, or are you asking for one providing something viable in the requirements?
Post 14 Jul 2008, 08:35
Loser

Loser
sleepsleep wrote:
spread this
What are you doing, sleepsleep? You are supposed to spread your Islamic belief, not some childish game, to the world! Remember, the god that you believe in is watching you all the time!
Post 14 Jul 2008, 09:13
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
Quote:

A bottle of water is a wide definition. How much mass?

well, just a simple 1 liter bottle eg. those coke, pepsi and etc softdrinks bottle, you can put sand, water or watever inside, it just the stuff you put in must be ready and easily available. free is better.

Quote:

Could the pre-made parts be used, or should i make my own coils, gears and rotors?

must be from raw, means, if you use a gears or rotors, everything must be made from raw, from nothing to something. but the stuff/material that you use must be ready and easily available from environment (free is better)

Quote:

Do you have a solution already to base requirements on, or are you asking for one providing something viable in the requirements?

i don't have solution. you can use your creativity to solve this challenge.

Quote:

make a little generator using magnets, wire coils. make a hole in bottle. let the water fall on the dynamo/turbines of generator. the water fall should be controlled to allow for 2 hour fall.

i am not a mechanical engineer. neither an electrician. nor a electronics guy. i hope op can do this. it seems so simple. to a layman like me.

ok, try make it

i will give USD 100 to the solution. the simple the better.
Post 14 Jul 2008, 09:14
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Quote:

What are you doing, sleepsleep? You are supposed to spread your Islamic belief, not some childish game, to the world! Remember, the god that you believe in is watching you all the time!

yeah yeah..... SO ?
Post 14 Jul 2008, 09:20
avi

avi
Thank you revolution, for this web site Excellent. I especially enjoyed reading on their forum HOW the claim that the luminous output for four hours was a hoax, a complete fabrication, notwithstanding the dramatic improvement in efficiency for LED illumination. In reality, the weight lifted, 25kg, to a height of 1.5 meters could provide electricity sufficient for only a few seconds of time, not 240 minutes, as the Master's thesis argued (in revolution's link above.)
Artlav wrote:

Is the water supposed to be important, or the mass is all that matters?
Brilliant.
I am working on a similar project, involving a tower. Solar energy drives electric motors which raise the weight up the tower. Gravity then propels the mass back down, turning a flywheel which generates the electricity. Your point, water vs. solid is exactly the question. I concluded that water is NOT the correct choice, for many reasons. I am hoping to construct a prototype, and FASM will be used to create the supervisor program.
At the top of the tower, of course, is a windmill, which also lifts the weights, for example, when the sun does not shine. The question then becomes one of size of tower to accommodate the storage of the bulk materials, 50 meters above ground level, for those rainy days, foggy evenings, and snowy nights, when there is no wind. I am not sure whether this project will "help the world", to that extent, I extend my apologies to sleepsleep for submitting an offtopic reply.
Post 14 Jul 2008, 09:26
revolution

revolution
avi: I check the physorg page each day. This page is that best place to start, the main page only carries a portion of the stories.

Last edited by revolution on 29 Jan 2009, 14:25; edited 1 time in total
Post 14 Jul 2008, 09:35
MHajduk

MHajduk
sleepsleep wrote:
well, just a simple 1 liter bottle eg. those coke, pepsi and etc softdrinks bottle, you can put sand, water or watever inside, it just the stuff you put in must be ready and easily available. free is better.
Well, you haven't to lift the bottle at all. Wink You can build very simple galvanic cell:
  1. fill the bottle with electrolyte (salted water, solution of the acid - the stronger the better, the sulfuric acid is the best here but maybe acetic acid will be also good),
  2. put in the electrolyte two separated electrodes (tin plates) made from copper (Cu) and zinc (Zn),
  3. close electrical network outside the bottle with the LED.
Everything could be made from secondary raw materials. Wink Such galvanic cell has electromotive force equal to 1,1 V (for sulfuric acid as a electrolyte). This should be enough to power up the LED.

Quote:
i will give USD 100 to the solution.
I'm glad to hear it. Very Happy
Post 14 Jul 2008, 10:42
tom tobias

tom tobias
Loser wrote:
You are supposed to spread your Islamic belief, not some childish game...
Well, in my opinion, sleepsleep IS spreading his religious beliefs, by his often insiteful, interesting, and provocative submissions to this forum. Who else has ever authored a greater quantity of worthy thoughts? I consider his submissions to be right up there in quality with those of vid, Tomasz, rugxulo, shoorick, revolution, f0dder, Madis, HyperVista, Artlav, and DOS386. So, to respond to your point, I believe that this current thread is not some "childish" game, but actually rather provocative, as was pointed out at the link provided by revolution (thanks), in criticising that author's (careful, 11 megabyte pdf file) Master's thesis as not conforming to engineering standards, but nevertheless provoking considerable interest, hence worthy of study.
Second point, in my opinion, is that Islam is broad, like all religions, and in fact, not just my opinion, EMBRACING the whole corpus of man's existence, from birth to death, and every action in between those two seminal events. Islam IS intolerant, I agree with you there, however, you err, in my opinion, in criticizing sleepsleep, for his propaganda campaign, while more subtle than the fire and brimstone style of more orthodox mullahs is far more effective in the context of introducing Islam TO THIS FASM forum. So, the intolerance of Islam, which you properly portray, will be ineffective against people who are trained, as we FASM forumers have been, to THINK. sleepsleep recognizing that the threat of burning in hell versus floating in paradise with 79 virgins, is unlikely to rouse many folks on THIS FASM forum, to commence reading the Quran, has adopted a less confrontational position, in order to demonstrate (to those of us who imagine that ALL religions are mere hokum,) that one can be BOTH cerebral, and "enlightened" about the ostensible truth of Islam.
Finally, if you seek to suggest that one of us, in this case sleepsleep, has strayed from the TRUE path followed by genuine believers, then you had better offer us some quote from the Quran, to support your critique, so that those of us fanatical ANTI believers can rip your heart out by quoting from the same leaves which the goats did not eat, in order to refute the pablum and drivel found therein. For the Quran, like its more infamous antecedants, the "holy" Bible, and the equally wretched Torah, is filled with nonsensical passages refuting similar homilies authored only a few paragraphs earlier...
Mad

MHajduk wrote:
... sulfuric acid is the best here but maybe acetic acid will be also good...
Please correct me, if I am in error, but isn't there also a possibility of harvesting the hydrogen produced by this reaction, to make a hydrogen fuel cell?

Smile
Post 14 Jul 2008, 11:26
HyperVista

HyperVista
Or simply make a potato battery Laughing

Materials Needed:

Potato (raw)
Two copper coins
Two galvanized nails
Three eight inch strips of insulated wire (5 cm stripped from each end)
LED or cheap digital clock, whatever

How to Make It:

(NOTE: you can use whole potatos and connect many in series. I used halves to conserve Very Happy )

Cut the potato in half laying both halves on flat side
Wrap the end of one piece of wire around one of the nails
Wrap the end of a second piece of wire around one of the copper coins
Stick the nail and penny into one piece of potato so that they do not touch
Wrap one end of the third wire around the second penny
Stick this second penny in the other half of potato
Stick the second galvanized nail in the potato half but no wire attached
Connect the wire from the penny on the first half of the potato to the nail in the second half
Attach the two loose wires to the LED, cheap digital clock, whatever

This contraption will keep LED lit for many months Very Happy

link
Post 14 Jul 2008, 11:43
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
Quote:

You can build very simple galvanic cell

the idea is more to harnest the gravitiy energy to light up the LED.
because, after the bottle falls down (steadily and slowy) the end user just need to lift the bottle up (to 1 meter above ground) then the LED will lights up again.
Post 14 Jul 2008, 11:49
asmhack

asmhack
HyperVista wrote:

link

i liked that in the video he also checked if the canculator operated correctly, the fact that it was powered on wasn't enough

hmm.. maybe because a battery is more intelligent than a potato !?Image

Twisted Evil

Last edited by asmhack on 14 Jul 2008, 12:20; edited 1 time in total
Post 14 Jul 2008, 12:09
MHajduk

MHajduk
tom tobias wrote:
MHajduk wrote:
... sulfuric acid is the best here but maybe acetic acid will be also good...
Please correct me, if I am in error, but isn't there also a possibility of harvesting the hydrogen produced by this reaction, to make a hydrogen fuel cell?

Smile
The hydrogen is simply by-product of this reaction. You can collect it and use as a fuel. Smile
Post 14 Jul 2008, 12:17
shoorick

shoorick
let's make potatostation Wink
Post 14 Jul 2008, 13:06
Borsuc

Borsuc
MHajduk wrote:
The hydrogen is simply by-product of this reaction. You can collect it and use as a fuel. Smile
Nuclear Fusion? Razz

I can do it with some voodoo without needing fission. Laughing
But I shouldn't worry about this energy stuff...

...I already have that crystal which generates energy (see Perpetual Engine thread) Wink
Post 14 Jul 2008, 13:19
MHajduk

MHajduk
The_Grey_Beast wrote:
Nuclear Fusion? Razz
No, you can simply burn it. Wink
sleepsleep wrote:
the idea is more to harnest the gravitiy energy to light up the LED.
because, after the bottle falls down (steadily and slowy) the end user just need to lift the bottle up (to 1 meter above ground) then the LED will lights up again.
Well, gravity force was used to run the mechanical clocks (pendulum clocks). This mechanism could be used to produce small portions of electricity by inserting in the proper place of the clock mechanism piezoelectric material changing directly mechanical energy to the electricity (you could find such crystals for example in the lighters).

I suppose that here will be necessary some kind of condenser to obtain direct current. Such construction should be enough to light one little LED for 2 hours. Smile
Post 14 Jul 2008, 13:46
HyperVista

HyperVista
sleepsleep wrote:
the idea is more to harnest the gravitiy energy to light up the LED

sleepsleep - considering the universe a closed system in the scientific sense, and applying the well understood principals of conservation of energy, the energy you expend in raising the bottle (adding kenetic and potential enegy to that bottle) was derived from the food and minerals you intake, which is converted to caloric energy, which is burned by your muscles. all well and good. but it should be understood that we are not creating energy by lifting that bottle.
so the question becomes a moral kind of question. should we expend our body energy in lifting that bottle to provide power to run the LED so that coal or other forms or polluting energy isn't required, OR do we expend our body energy on engainging in sports, walking along nice path with loved ones, or engaging in sex, potentially causing the need to use "bad" forms of energy to keep the LED lit? taking the argument to extreme, would one be labled as selfish or even criminal if using body energy to do something other than keeping that bottle raised and LED lit? is it possible to become slaves to keeping that bottle raised for fear of being labled selfish or a criminal for not doing so?
or in a less extreme case, when does it become more convenient to pay the local power company to keep my LED lit so I don't have to stop what i'm doing every two hours (perhaps interuupting sex) to raise that damn bottle? Very Happy
please understand i'm not critical of your idea, in fact i find it interesting. i just wanted to provide additional food for thought (pun intended).

Last edited by HyperVista on 14 Jul 2008, 14:29; edited 1 time in total
Post 14 Jul 2008, 14:01

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: