flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > fasm conference 2008

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
What do you think about it? Would someone be willing to organize it in his home town this year?
Post 08 Jul 2008, 08:44
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
When is it likely to be? There is not much time to organise it if it is to be in 2008.
Post 08 Jul 2008, 09:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
Perhaps about when the first one was - the end of september?
It doesn't have to a serious conference, it might be just an annual meeting (just as the first meeting was planned to be at first).
Post 08 Jul 2008, 10:12
tom tobias

tom tobias
Tomasz asked "where"?
revolution asked "when"?
my question is "what"?
Some topics that come to mind, but I am sure that there are MANY other topics, of equal or far greater importance to the FASM community:

0. Hacking the FASM forum;
1. Redefinition of FASM syntax;
2. SSE vs. Floating Point vs. AVX

As far as revolution's excellent comment regarding tempus fugit, I believe that there yet remains sufficient time to prepare for a conference, since it would most likely need to be held in August or September, to avoid conflict with university schedules....Six weeks or so, ought to be enough time to arrange for a room that will accommodate n people, where n ought to be known via this forum. Maybe it is useful to solicit response on topics of interest, which FASM members believe could more profitably be discussed informally at a gathering of minds and bodies, rather than by contributions to this forum....In view of the physical improbability of bringing lots of folks from the five continents to a central place, one hopes that, as last year, a live internet broadcast can be arranged, one that excludes my handling the equipment, so as to ensure an uninterrupted program...
Razz
Post 08 Jul 2008, 10:16
HyperVista

HyperVista
I like Tomasz's idea of just a simple gathering as opposed to a formal presentation type conference. Just get together to have an open discusion about fasm and programming in general ... no agenda... free flow of ideas and topics.
Post 08 Jul 2008, 14:44
MazeGen

MazeGen
I'd like to attend it. vid was thinking about Bratislava, we'll see if he still likes the idea.
Post 08 Jul 2008, 14:45
tom tobias

tom tobias
HyperVista wrote:
...free flow of ideas and topics.
Nothing wrong with that notion, however, it becomes a tad less helpful for the folks unable, for whatever reason, to attend the conference, if there is no structure, no times for presentations, etc...(This comment presupposes that the conference will be distributed via internet....) I don't mean to suggest that we need to ensure an adequate supply of starch in our meticulously ironed underwear, but, it is convenient for those watching from other countries to know who will guide the group on which topics at which times. One or more of those topics could be "free discussion". Suppose, for example, that someone wished to learn more about "part deux" of Feryno's 64 bit debugger. Maybe that's the only subject of the conference that interests them. If they knew Feryno would talk from 1500-1650 on Saturday, 20 September 2008, then, they may decide to postpone the annual visit to Aunt Tilly, until after his presentation. Otherwise, if Feryno simply discusses his newest results intermittently from 0900 to 1800, interspersed with obfuscation and hypervisors, etc, the person with an interest in Feryno's talk would be obliged to watch the whole day, in order to glean the few bits of utility....
Further, if the conference will be simply "open discussion" then, it will likely (judging from last year's conference) be a silent vigil, for most of us tend to ask very few questions...
Confused
One should not discount the language barrier. Free discussion works best in a very small collection of comparably talented native speakers. As a group, our oral communication skills are not markedly proficient, even among the native speakers. Was it not "m" last year, who honestly evaluated our presentations and concluded that most of us were mumbling!!!! Maybe I am confused about that.
Shocked
This does not mean that I am critical of the concept of an unstructured gathering. I personally think one could have BOTH, by assigning the morning, or afternoon to specific topics, and the other part of the day to open discussion. My question remains: WHICH topics will the conference discuss, irrespective of the format? Whether free discussion, or organized symposia, what should the Third FASM technical conference address?
Finally, I would like to point out that, if similar to last year, (I hope it will be!) then, there is quite a bit of time available for "open discussion", in the day or two preceding and following any "formal" presentations. I am glad to learn that MazeGen will also attend!!! It was, and is, my hope that some OTHER FASM forumers will attend, including some who have not previously attended the conference, and I think one good way to attract folks to make the journey, is to provide at least half a day, of five or ten 30-45 minute "formal" presentations. All of those presentations from last year, (with one glaring exception Embarassed ) were exceptionally well done including powerpoint slides. Yeah, I let down the group last year, but never fear, I shall return, armed this time, with power ointment.

Twisted Evil
Post 08 Jul 2008, 15:31
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I won't be back in Slovakia until 15th august. After that (but not too soon after that), it should be possible for me to organize something. However, ho-tels in Bratislava are quite costly as far as I know, so this could be a problem for some of us.

Another option could be that we will all meet in Bratislava, and travel to Myjava, where I live (travel to Myjava from Bratislava is about 12$ both ways, 2 hours by usually crowded bus). There, I could offer free accomodation and free food for quite a lot people (or there is nice new hotel for those who desire better standard). It is very nice rural countryside, and much better money moneywise. Downside is extra travel, and sucky internet connection.

Let me know what do you think. I would prefer seeing Bratislava one day, and then moving to Myjava and staying there. Of course it is okay with me to stay in Bratislava, but it will cost much more, because I don't know of any cheap accomodation.
Post 08 Jul 2008, 16:05
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
MazeGen

MazeGen
EDIT: forgot to say that I won't be available for the conference between 16th and 24th.

EDIT: Hostels info removed, was wrong
Post 08 Jul 2008, 17:13
tom tobias

tom tobias
vid wrote:
...or there is nice new hotel for those who desire better standard
n.b. firewood extra, but curtain separates beds 40 Euros = ~60 dollars/night for five friendly persons. n.b.II, only one toilet for those thinking of drinking any more slivovitz.
Post 08 Jul 2008, 20:59
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
heh-heh, no tom, that's not the one which I meant. This one is few km off the town. There is one right in town, very new, i doubt it is on internet already. It's site will be www.hotelstefanik.sk, when it's done. There are couple of nice hotels outside town.
Post 09 Jul 2008, 13:30
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Madis731

Madis731
I will attend anywhere in Europe range Smile
Post 10 Jul 2008, 10:46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Tomasz Grysztar
Assembly Artist

Tomasz Grysztar
So what about Myjava someday in September?
Post 21 Jul 2008, 20:55
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I have something around 11th september (heh-heh), other dates work fine for me
Post 21 Jul 2008, 22:20
Madis731

Madis731
vid wrote:
I have something around 11th september (heh-heh), other dates work fine for me

Your birthday?

PS. Something wrong with the board? I don't get the new thread message "heads-up" warning on my e-mail anymore and I haven't heard back from you, Thomasz, the PM I sent you. Did you even receive it?

Post 22 Jul 2008, 07:29
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
I didn't get any PM. Probably really something wrong with the board.
Post 22 Jul 2008, 15:07
MazeGen

MazeGen
I'd prefer the end of August because I'm unsure if I can get free friday/monday in September.
Post 22 Jul 2008, 17:06
AlexP

AlexP
Too bad for me you guys are all over in Europe.... I'm stuck over here in Fat America.
Post 23 Jul 2008, 05:18
Loser

Loser
I'd really like to join you guys, but intergalactic travel is still sort of expensive these days. Are there any loaded members who may be generous enough to sponsor my trip? Hmm ... I guess 5000 euros would probably cover everything! Just transfer the money to the following Swiss bank account ... Laughing
Post 23 Jul 2008, 05:28
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
if somehow u guys come to asia, malaysia, i could offer free rooms in hotel Smile, flight ticket on your own Razz

Quote:

I guess 5000 euros would probably cover everything!

i think 1000 euros is quite more than enough :p
Post 23 Jul 2008, 05:54

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: