flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > PC-BSD - Anyone tried this OS? Is it cool?

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
OzzY

OzzY
Hi!
I love to try new OSes and been trying lots of Linux distributions recently. I'm running Windows XP and Debian Linux.

I've came across this distribution of FreeBSD: http://www.pcbsd.org/content/view/12/26/ that is targeted at desktop computers with easy of use in mind.

I'm already downloading it to run in a virtual machine and maybe I'll have WinXP, Debian and PC-BSD installed.

I'd like to know if anyone tried PC-BSD. What do you think about it? Is it ok for a BSD beginner to get the first steps done?
Post 06 Jul 2008, 20:37
rugxulo

rugxulo
It's supposed to be a very desktop-friendly BSD distro, and it's fairly popular from what I hear. (No, never tried it, only unofficial for an older version could I get a liveCD, and I was too lazy to waste time on unofficial hacks. I think they only an offer install CD last I checked). Also, last I heard, it was based upon FreeBSD 6.3, not the newer / faster / better 7.0 (not that it's that big a deal, just saying ...).

The best test, IMO, is if it comes with GCC, Ncurses, VIM, NetHack, etc, not just the same old recycled-to-death crap (Gnumeric, Firefox, etc.).

EDIT: Reading this seems to show what it has in detail. Just don't get your hopes up too high. (Seems you need disc #2 just to get some important things, meh.)

EDIT#2: It really seems like your generic, ho-hum Linux-wannabe "we've got X11 and KDE" bloatfest with lots of multimedia crud, nothing special here. (More GNU stuff than not. And Linux is no longer considered slower than BSD.)
Post 07 Jul 2008, 08:22
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Raedwulf

Raedwulf
Linux kernel development I think is loads faster, hence I think why Linux is as fast as BSD now Wink.
Post 17 Jul 2008, 06:15
tom tobias

tom tobias
rugxulo wrote:
Linux is no longer considered slower than BSD...
Raedwulf wrote:
Linux kernel development I think is loads faster, hence I think why Linux is as fast as BSD now

multithreaded benchmark results (relying upon version 7.0 of freebsd, which is not the version found in the most recent PC-BSD, i.e. 6.xx:) demonstrate the contrary, on page 17, suggesting about 10% increase in a multiprocessor environment.
rugxulo, describing the current version of PC-BSD, wrote:

It really seems like your generic, ho-hum Linux-wannabe "we've got X11 and KDE" bloatfest

It looks as though BOTH PC-BSD and DESKTOP-BSD are six months to a year behind the parent progenitor FREEBSD, itself unmodified, i.e. not updated, since release in February 2008. None of these three UNIX clones includes version 4.0 of KDE.

"A day late and a dollar short" comes to mind.
What about Solaris?
another Linux-Solaris comparison,

If you want a real difference between all other Unix kernels and Linux, then there is a huge difference between the build systems. In Linux, you can physically disable features. When compiling Unix kernels, you can't. It's an all-or-nothing build system where every feature or driver or whatnot is compiled as a module.

Smile
Post 17 Jul 2008, 10:22

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: