flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Section or Segment? (off-topic part)

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
AlexP

AlexP
Quote:
section '.bss' writable
I sure hope FASM refused to asm a 'writable' section! Smile
Post 30 Jun 2008, 17:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
I sure you that both sources assembles with fasm, it is the keyword "readable" that it is disallowed with ELF sections Wink
Post 30 Jun 2008, 17:47
AlexP

AlexP
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
I sure you that both sources assembles with fasm, it is the keyword "readable" that it is disallowed with ELF sections Wink
I was referring to the mispelling, I am not sure if you're joking with that last post also or not Razz. I spell it 'writeable', I'm not sure if FASM accepts 'writable'.
Post 01 Jul 2008, 18:52
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
It accept both and in fact I see no mispelling. Eclipse, a IDE primarily targetted for Java programming (language that I hope I don't have to use it much more in future), says "Writable" in the status bar (which means that the I can write to the source file).

Judging by http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/writable seems that both spellings are correct.

And I'm not joking, fasm REALLY rejects "readable" for ELF sections (probably because it is an implicit and unavoidable section attribute).
Post 01 Jul 2008, 19:14
AlexP

AlexP
Quote:
seems that both spellings are correct
Huh, you're right.

Quote:
fasm REALLY rejects "readable" for ELF sections
Well I see no use in a non-readable section/page, though I do think they exist under Windows Smile.

Quote:
DE primarily targetted for Java programming (language that I hope I don't have to use it much more in future)
School/Job requirement? Razz. I hope I never have to use that stuff either. What ever happened to computer programming being an art, something you actually did, instead of using some giant compiler product instead? ... I wish I was alive before my time so I could at least have been part of the DOS days (or even early WIn days for that matter Razz)...
Post 02 Jul 2008, 01:45
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
Algorithms & Data Structures course requirement... They started to use it some years ago ruining the course completely, they are imposing OOP to the students even before them take the course that dedicates to objects enterely with Smalltalk. Since it is a semester only they also had to remove important topics like hashing and algorithms like prime finders to make room for Java. I suspect the reason for the introduction of Java but since I can't prove it I prefer to not tell anything about it. It is supposed that the next year (so not for me I hope), the course will be extended to last a year so maybe the missing topics will re-emerge, but they should stop using Java and spend the year teaching what the course it is supposed to teach IMHO.

Well I suppose it is my fault also for taking so many years to pass the Math courses that are required to attend this one, I had the opportunity to take it when they teached with Pascal (so no new language to learn, only focus on data structures and algorithms analysis), but I missed it due to my under normal mathematical skills.
Post 02 Jul 2008, 03:02
mattst88

mattst88
People, people, people...

mispell is a misspelling.
Post 02 Jul 2008, 12:59
edfed

edfed
i'm happy to see i'm not in this (off topic) discution.
Laughing
Post 03 Jul 2008, 16:24
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
There a few habitual mis-spellers on this forum. I usually just ignore it and try to concentrate on the intention of the poster. But sometimes some people are just asking for it ...
edfed wrote:
... discution
Discussion?

If I had a dollar for every misspelling on this board, I would be a very rich person.
Post 03 Jul 2008, 16:46
edfed

edfed
sorry, i am a bad orthographer.

i launch many technical subjects. but they never take your attention.

then, i wait to find the solutions by myself.
Post 03 Jul 2008, 17:40
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
edfed wrote:
sorry, i am a bad orthographer.
Don't worry about it, no need to be sorry.
edfed wrote:
i launch many technical subjects. but they never take your attention.
It is hard to predict what will be popular and what is ignored. Sometimes I think this board has a personality, it seems to have moods. Occasionally a particular topic will engender zero responses, and then sometime later, the same topic posted again will get lot's of attention. Go figure.
edfed wrote:
then, i wait to find the solutions by myself.
By far the best way to learn and retain knowledge.

We build our skills when we find our own solutions. We learn dependence when we rely upon others to find solutions for us.
Post 03 Jul 2008, 18:18
edfed

edfed
revolution wrote:
By far the best way to learn and retain knowledge.

We build our skills when we find our own solutions. We learn dependence when we rely upon others to find solutions for us.

totally agree, but there, if i ask, it is because i don't seek the still working solution, but a new way to do, so it is very hard.

wait a bit, soon, i'll lose my job because i don't want to re-become a tool. and i'll have a lot of time for my researches. Wink
they employed me for a cnception, result, one month later, we lost the market ( a concurrent had a product ready to use) , then i produce voltmeters, waiting another project....

anyone interrested with a power supply? based on a triac?
Post 03 Jul 2008, 18:42

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: