flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > i need an operating system

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edfed

edfed
i need an os too, that's why i try to code my own.

on est jamais aussi bien servi que par soi même. Wink

goto translation if you don't understand.

ok sleep², you needd an os, but what should do this os?
what is the axact feature you want that don't already exists?

i guess you don't want extra features, but less features, like very little OS. less than 1 mega bytes, i suppose.

it is possible if you clean the menuet source. there are many things to change in menuet to make it faster and smaller. for example, the graphic routine setpixel, not needed at all.

all graphic functions will be faster and smaller if they don't use call setpixell.
there are many other parts where menuet can be improved for ease of coding, code size and execution speed.

the main problem with menuet i meet is:

how to compile it and then, execute it?
Post 30 Jun 2008, 22:36
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
google took ages to translate Razz

it gave "42" in the end..... Wink

Quote:
i guess you don't want extra features

yeah, i dont' want extra features, but once i fulfill the basic features, i would love to have extra features Wink

i desire something that could really use 100% of the hardware. i see no point to run software that target i386 when the pc is i686 type.

Quote:

it is possible if you clean the menuet source. there are many things to change in menuet to make it faster and smaller. for example, the graphic routine setpixel, not needed at all.

maybe, last time i thought i could build the old v6 unix from scratch Very Happy
Post 01 Jul 2008, 04:38
rugxulo

rugxulo
edfed wrote:

the main problem with menuet i meet is:

how to compile it and then, execute it?

It's written in FASM, and it can run FASM too. So you just edit / save / reassemble / reboot.

sleepsleep wrote:

yeah, i dont' want extra features, but once i fulfill the basic features, i would love to have extra features

That's what they all say! Laughing What OSes have you tried, and what didn't you like about them?

sleepsleep wrote:

i desire something that could really use 100% of the hardware. i see no point to run software that target i386 when the pc is i686 type.

100% of the hardware? What hardware do you want to run on? For instance, ArchLinux has tons of i686-compiled stuff, and of course you can compile your own via Gentoo. Recompiling is really the only way to be sure to use all your cpus instructions (or as much as possible, anyways ... at least lots of CMOVs for P2++). GCC even now supports "-march=native" to make it easier. Wink Anyways, Intel C++ (free for non-commercial Linux use) is alleged to be the best (auto-vectorization), so try using that, too.

This is an assembly forum, and I'll admit I'm pretty unknowledgable, BUT ... what hardware feature do you wish to maximize?

Multi core? USB? CD / DVD? 3D gfx? Mouse / trackball? Soundcard? GUI? x86-64?? FPU, MMX, 3dnow!, SSE1-4, etc.?? (FYI, it's true that well-placed MMX or SSE2 can indeed speed up specific apps by as much as 2x. See KMB fractal benchmark or PAQ8o8 for examples.)
Post 01 Jul 2008, 07:47
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
sleepsleep

Location: ˛                             ⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣⁣Posts: 334455
sleepsleep
while, ok,
imo, linux always give me an impression/perspective that it couldn't fully maximize the hardware power, why i said so, because the developer got some hard time to get the instructions on how to operate that devices into maximum, so they hack their way in order to let it functions.

i am quite satisfied with linux in terms of its looks and feel, icons set. but the which file to edit in order to do this or that is quite hard to swallow for me.

most of the time, u need to google the task name in order to know what file to edit/update.

and there are lots of files there.

why couldn't everything be in a database? i mean, those configuration flags or etc. so u use a like sqlite viewer to change everything in one place.

i just want it to be able to control to how i want it to do.
but i want to control it in a very easy way, eg.
i bought some cabbage, chili, sesame oil, meat and etc and then i cook it. it should be as simple like that.
Post 01 Jul 2008, 12:05
avi

avi
sleep^2 wrote:

which file to edit in order to do this or that is quite hard to swallow for me.

some help 1
some help 2
some help 3
some help 4
here's a map

Post 01 Jul 2008, 16:40
avi

avi
edfed wrote:

on est jamais aussi bien servi que par soi même.

C'est a dire que tu crois:

"On apprend en faillant"

mais, mois, par contre, je pense:

"A jeune chasseur, il faut vieux chien."

Smile

Post 01 Jul 2008, 16:52
AlexP

AlexP
Quote:
another one dikette operating system.
Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen a computer with a 'dikette' port, is it a newer model? Smile
Post 01 Jul 2008, 18:50
macgub

macgub
I think about 1.44 *.img file.
It can be running on for example qemu emulator.
Is there someone with 1.44 FDD machine ? Smile
Post 01 Jul 2008, 19:29
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
macgub wrote:
Is there someone with 1.44 FDD machine ? Smile

Yes, in fact I have no computer without one. Although very in disuse now, the computers that are sold here normally come with a FDD.
Post 01 Jul 2008, 19:58
edfed

edfed
Quote:
I think about 1.44 *.img file.

i have an other method.
only use the needed quantity of sectors.
Code:
file_operation:

disk.read, disk.0, 57678b,from LBA 10, to linear 0A0000h.
               return bytes read.
   disk.write, disk.80h, 57678b, from linear 0A0000h, to LBA 10 

there, it is simple, read as many bytes you want from the function.
Or write them, where you want in the memory, RAM, ROM, EEPROM, HARD DRIVE, FLOPPY...
It is like a mov, but need to be an IA32 compatible instruction, or function.
Quote:

It can be running on for example qemu emulator.

Code:
c:\bw05.com
;to write the assembled bootsector.
c:\cw05.com 
; to write the assembled application to boot, a .com code.
c:\bochs.exe

will use only the wanted sectors, including the boot sector.
Quote:

Is there someone with 1.44 FDD machine ?

yes, like loco, no FDD-less PC . But the problem is not how to make a floppy application, but more how to erase definitelly windows or anything else from our computers, and if possible, made using fasm.
:] Smile
Post 01 Jul 2008, 21:16
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
just thought of this,
maybe an OS shouldmust have 2 types of such filesystem. (let the user choose which files to save into). instead of squeezing these 2 different kinds files into one filesystem.

1st = for files that will increase/decrease in size.
2nd = for files that will have fixed size. eg. those video files, jpg files, zip files. (which will unlikely to change in size).

so, user can use the 2nd type filesystem to store their files (which they will unlikely to change it)

first might be named : shelves filesystem
second might be named : freight filesystem

add
i am thinking like why have a filesystem? if we could just show the whole hard disk layout to user, (after all everything is just stream of bytes).
one reserved block to store index, then all to store user files. directory in another reserved block

something like below.

why should we care about fragmentation? (let the users handle it).
so, if i want to save several files (assuem fixed size, video media, mp3) i could put them side by side.

so, i could put several (to be delete or sort of) unimportant files in an area. so if i felt wanna delete, i just select that portion, clear it. or just zero it. (of course, OS should clear their index automatically)

so, basically idea is,
present such layout to users when they want to save files. let them put anywhere they like Wink

genius !! Cool Cool
Post 07 Aug 2008, 18:55
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
somehow i think.
why not we let application defined how many memory they want to use in order to run the application, (not loading files or etc).

so, based on above mspaint picture i put, user are allowed to decide where they want to put the program in their available memory.

so, there could be 3 sections of memory, small, medium and large.
maybe a config that let user default,
< than 7mb memory usage program will be fall into that area.
more than X mb memory usaged program will need decision from user.

so, file loading and memory allocation will be decide by the operating system. (so user range a section for such purpose).
eg. user pc got 2 GB of ram. 0 to 2,147,483,648

he could set 1,000,000,000 up to 2,147,483,648 for such purpose.
Post 31 Aug 2008, 07:32
tom tobias

tom tobias
very nice idea...
Smile
Post 31 Aug 2008, 18:36
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
still wanna rant a bit,
still now, i still couldn't subcribe the idea of continuously updating the linux & its programs...

so, we got some hundred of version of the same programs, of course, most of the people you meet will tell you update to the latest version.

why couldn't the concept if the stuff aint break, dont' fix it??
why no bare linux / bsd, with source that you don't have to update anymore? and people just use it as base and develop their program on it?

i heard a little bit about the LSB...
Post 17 Nov 2008, 14:37
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
this seems nice.....
JNode (Java opensource operating system)
http://osnews.com/story/20911/JNode_0_2_8_Released
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNode
Post 04 Feb 2009, 14:02
Borsuc

Borsuc
LocoDelAssembly wrote:
Yes, in fact I have no computer without one. Although very in disuse now, the computers that are sold here normally come with a FDD.
3.5" external bay slots may also be used for card readers or FDD/Card combos Smile

Post 04 Feb 2009, 16:18
LocoDelAssembly
Your code has a bug

LocoDelAssembly
At the time I said that the 3.5" bay was occupied with a floppy drive Smile Also, note that for example, here are selling floppy drives (but now they start to say medium availability instead of high).

I'm talking about the so called "clones" of course (which are the most sold type of computers along with pseudo-branded ones). Branded computers like HP, Dell, whatever discontinued the models with floppy drive long time ago probably. I'm not sure if floppy disks are being selling out there, probably not anymore since I think that every place that requires you to send a physical copy of data ask you to send a CD but few years ago there was some governmental things that still required floppy disks...

The card readers thing is very common on HP computers I have seen on shops so far.
Post 04 Feb 2009, 17:50
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
i was thinking bout something like this, maybe drhowarddrfine could insight me coz he seems to know more about freebsd.

eg.
1. create custom freebsd kernel (for my target pc) inside vmware under windows.
2. partition target pc.
3. put the custom kernel into boot partition
4. just single user and a shell, maybe with startx, but all static links.

the idea is to put the most minimum files into a functional running freebsd system and using most less space for its operating system.

i somehow think this can be accomplished, but need more info from u guys.

i think i wanna stick with freebsd.
Post 17 Feb 2009, 00:53
drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine
Small FreeBSD.
Look at PicoBSD especially.
Post 17 Feb 2009, 01:31
sleepsleep

sleepsleep
yeah, thanks for the link, i did found picobsd and nanobsd to be appeal.

could i use the 7.1 freebsd to build picobsd? some document i read said, they preffer people to use nano, how about ur view?

and, by any luck, are you often in any irc room, so that i could .... yeah, seek some direct real-time help from you, if possible...?

or maybe put file one by one into target pc? and create their directory one by one....?
Post 17 Feb 2009, 01:38

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: