flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Microsoft Patents Brain Function!

Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
HyperVista

HyperVista
Hey, check out this patent filed recently by Microsoft. The title of the patent suggests they are attempting to patent basic brain functionality, but it's worse than that! They're trying to patent the requirements process of standard project managment activity. What a joke! This would be funny if it weren't so true and sad.

I think I'll start a patent on the breathing process and maybe a patent on the human sex drive.
Post 23 Jun 2008, 12:04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shoorick

shoorick
really funny... anyway, we can still use cerebellum for thinking in non-commercial purposes, 30-days trial sex and make next breath-in after 70 years after they will die (until we may use alternative ways to breath or anaerobic breathing)
Post 23 Jun 2008, 13:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AlexP

AlexP
Very funny. I knew one day MS would own us all Smile.

I call dibs on the right arm!
Post 24 Jun 2008, 01:27
avi

avi
HyperVista wrote:
...This would be funny if it weren't so true and sad. ...
I was unable to comprehend either their patent application, or the notion that there is something humorous about it. I am genetically dull by nature, so perhaps my ignorance here is reasonable. Since the topic involves brain function, I thought FASM members may find this article, published last week in Science, about astrocytes, quite fascinating. There are two kinds of cells that make up the brain: neurons, and glia. Glia are more numerous, and have a role which is poorly understood. Then, here comes this article in Science, which suggests that a type of glia cell, called an astrocyte, located in the visual area of neocortex in a mammalian brain, actually possesses receptive field properties, just like neurons.
link
Not one to throw cold water on every new hot idea that comes along, I still felt that it is important to note a couple of errors on the part of the MIT scientist who authored this interesting discovery:
first, glia cells, contrary to what this electrical engineer has written, are NOT "invisible to microelectrodes" which penetrate them. Secondly, there are several good studies on the function of glial cells which this Director of the Brain Research Laboratory at MIT seems not to know about:
Here is an example (many others exist) of data refuting Dr. Sur's notion that his study represents the original investigation demonstrating glial cell functionality associated with cerebral cortical function.
link
"But as it turned out, glial cells are electrically not completely unresponsive after all. Sugaya et al. (1964) were the first to notice that the membrane potential of "idle" cells actually does change during neuronal excitation. They reported in 1964 that during seizure discharges and during spreading depression these cells underwent slow depolarization."

Whether it is an M$ patent application, or an MIT scientific discovery, it seems that everyone wants to claim some sort of originality and uniqueness in their thoughts and actions. That's one advantage of dullness--no one expects anything from those of us with limited imagination, therefore, no one is disappointed upon our failure to generate anything noteworthy.
Smile

edited by vid: please post very long links in [url] tags

Post 24 Jun 2008, 04:07
macgub

macgub
quote "shoorick - anaerobic breathink" - ssems be very dangerous.
Post 28 Jun 2008, 18:15

Jump to:  

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: