flat assembler
Message board for the users of flat assembler.

Index > Heap > Artificially assembled biological life

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author
Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
For those who consider (biological) viruses as a life, I am proud to announce (for those who didn't know yet), that humans have successfully artifically assembled "live" biological virus.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/100/26/15440.pdf?ck=nck
Post 29 May 2008, 19:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
Yep, and it is only a small step from that to assembling a single cell organism, then a multi-cell thing, then a superior-to-humans being (in every way thinkable). So very soon we will no longer be the lord of the planet. I just hope that the new super-uber-trans-human-being-things will take better care of the planet then we currently are.
Post 29 May 2008, 19:28
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
Yep, and it is only a small step from that to assembling a single cell organism, then a multi-cell thing, then a superior-to-humans being (in every way thinkable).

We would hardly "assemble" anything superior than us soon, other way than modifying ourselves. So, if such thing happens, it would be making ourselves better.
Post 29 May 2008, 19:35
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
edfed

edfed
maybe will they need the knowledge of assembly programers.

Object Oriented Genetics?
Post 29 May 2008, 19:38
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKZ-GjSaqgo

I like the way Craig Venter talks about this topic, and believe it's some of the most important work being done in science today. I'm amazed that they are moving beyond just replace parts of a cell.

Post 30 May 2008, 02:01
luc_vdvd

luc_vdvd
my cad system is geared towards the developement of artificial life
3d computers, analog electronics and mechanical parts u will all be able
to define and manufacture them
Post 30 May 2008, 06:54
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Wonderful link bitRAKE, it's great to see advance from few Kb in document from 2003 that i quoted, to over 500Kb today.
Post 30 May 2008, 09:25
Madis731

Madis731
OMG - Object Manufactured Genes Smile
What is 500KB? The video? Is there another PDF? ^o)

EDIT: Nice video btw Smile
Post 30 May 2008, 13:57
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Quote:
What is 500KB? The video? Is there another PDF?

500K base pairs.
Post 30 May 2008, 19:40
bitRAKE

bitRAKE
I'm under the impression they have software which constructs base pair sequences through orchestration of cellular metabolism. Talk about a HLL compiler! Very Happy

(The caveat is that they don't always create programs that work - so, they create millions of them with slight variations. Literally, genetic algorithms.)

Post 31 May 2008, 01:50
Madis731

Madis731
Can I draw some parallels here: 5.4kb, 1kb & 0.5kb mentioned in the pdf-document [vid ref#1] are measures of Kilo Base Pairs, not KiloBits (where A,T,C & G are mapped to 2-bit nubmers) which would mean (kilo=1000) exactly 5400 base pairs NOT 2700 as you would get packing in binary.

Am I on the right track here?

What are the letters he keeps talking about in the video [bitRAKE ref#1]? Are the letters bits, base-pair symbols or actual letters?
Post 31 May 2008, 17:19
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Madis: Right. One letter encodes one base pair. In practice, each pair consists of two letters, but for every letter, it's pair letter is fixed (A-T, C-G), so it's enough to save one letter, and you know the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_pair
Post 31 May 2008, 18:12
edfed

edfed
if these proteins are paired, it's because hte dna duplicator cut it in two

and then, it will complete the half protein chain by complement all single proteins.

A T C G
T A G C

after, these proteins can be combined in basic shemes,:

val, glu, gle, lys, etc etc...

and then, ....
Post 31 May 2008, 18:31
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
Yep, three base pairs encode one amino acid. In theory there is 4^3 encodeable acids, but in practice there is about 20 of them used. So chain of base pair triplets is translated into chain of amino acids, called "protein" - building block of organisms.
Post 31 May 2008, 19:37
Madis731

Madis731
Hehee, I didn't mean to sound *that* stupid. I know my biology, and what A, T, C, G are and do. The kb wasn't a very often-used acronym in school, when we learned this stuff. Just the kb confused a regular kilobit user here.
That http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_pair helped - thanks Wink
Post 01 Jun 2008, 08:24
AlexP

AlexP
Hmm, well I just hope that the knowledge of how to code DNA doesn't develop any more, if it falls into the wrong hands we could end up with 'The Andromeda Strain' Razz
Post 14 Jun 2008, 17:18
revolution
When all else fails, read the source

revolution
And if it ends up in the right hands we could cure cancer.

Every technology has both good and bad uses. The problem is how much one may outweigh the other.
Post 14 Jun 2008, 17:23
AlexP

AlexP
I believe in the basic concept of life, to continue to evolve and understand until we meet our creator.

Of course there's an equilibrium to technology, but I guess I'm stuck between the catastrophic evils that may(will) happen because of this or the possible creation of a superior being than our own.

Personally, I would love the latter. I believe also that humans were meant as cattle, slightly more intelligent, but not enough to keep living. We were meant for one purpose, to create a being superior than us, that would succeed us.
Post 16 Jun 2008, 02:29
vid
Verbosity in development

vid
AlexP: What exactly has your creator done? Only big bang & physical laws, or also abiogenesis (formation of "life" from non-living material) on Earth?
Post 16 Jun 2008, 08:31
tom tobias

tom tobias
AlexP wrote:
...until we meet our creator....humans were meant as cattle, ......We were meant for one purpose....
Does your philosophy then embrace the notion that cattle also meet their creator? What about Pigs, Alex? Why were they placed here on earth, by your same creator? Hmm.
Why would an omnipotent force expect mere humans, (themselves little more than fodder intended for consumption,) to create some kind of new being of any kind--even a virus? Since this so called Creator of yours is omnipotent, why wouldn't HE simply wave his magic wand, or think important thoughts, and magically produce this "superior" being, instantaneously, as HE supposedly created us? Or maybe he already has, and these "superior" beings are already living among us? Maybe they are God's "chosen" people?
I normally prefer vegetables and pasta, but today, as a sign of my profound respect for your creator's "chosen" people, I will instead consume pork liver.
Post 16 Jun 2008, 09:16

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

< Last Thread | Next Thread >
Forum Rules: